MSU Story Keeps Growing - Larry Nassar's Boss Arrested

I would suggest that you not double down on the dumb statement by your pal. You just embarrass yourself.

Not my pal.

Been fighting a battle with the local supt. I ve also taught and see the mindset. He did paint a broad brush but yet I cant argue with his premise. I ve also worked for a big u. How he described it is not so far off how things work. I m battling the supt over bullying of special needs students and their very low ratio of IEP s and 504 s.

Switching gears..
I was good friends with a neighbor classmate whose daughter was on the national team. You would recognize the name. The dad used to set up neighborhood olympics with medals and ceremonies. He was really into it. I imagine the olympic dream was his. He was very coordinated and would have been a good athlete at our small Iowa hs if he didnt run like a sloth

If you quote somebody’s post twice to try to make your point then you haven’t and you know you haven’t and everyone else knows you haven’t.

And they’re living in your head.

If you quote somebody’s post twice to try to make your point then you haven’t and you know you haven’t and everyone else knows you haven’t.

You want to meet in Hannibal too?

You seem to take this too seriously.

What is really funny and in your head is that 90 percent of our interactions are you commenting on my comment.
We could meet at Thatcher's House too?
upload_2020-2-2_11-16-8.jpeg

What you are basically saying tho is I won't let my kids do things in life out of fear of something bad happening. You really won't let your kid chase their dreams because of the relatively small chance something bad could happen?
It'd be at my discretion. That's the job of a parent. I don't think you can say it's a 'small chance' when you start rattling off all the names of the girls that were messed with by that Nassar guy can you? He pretty much messed with every one he 'worked' with for 20 plus years. If a doctor won't see my kid with me in the room then they have no business seeing them.

How do you think the parents of those boys who were apart of the Iowa Barnstormers that had that coach doing creepy ass shit to them feel about it? My kid as a teenager doesn't need to travel around staying in hotels with strangers. They just wouldn't.

There's going to be dreams all kids have that are unrealistic due to finances. Not everyone can afford to allow kids to do all that stuff. Or have the time as parents to allow it. Parents crush the dreams of kids all the time. If my kid has dreams where putting themselves in what can be a really terrible situation that I can prevent then that's on me. I'm the parent. I take that responsibility. We can't prevent everything under the sun from happening obviously but there's lots of things to do in this world besides doing the ancillary/unnecessary things that doing some of things require.

Bottom line is it's our jobs to keep our kids safe. Once they are adults they can start taking all the risks that the world has for them. I'm not saying my kid can't do gymnastics or basketball. But if the team/organization they'd be involved with demanded overnight travel that I'd be unable to attend or doctors wanting to be alone with them I wouldn't be comfortable with that. Unless it was my brother or family member I really know. Beyond that I'll let my kid hate me in the moment. If their safe I can live with that.

It'd be at my discretion. That's the job of a parent. I don't think you can say it's a 'small chance' when you start rattling off all the names of the girls that were messed with by that Nassar guy can you? He pretty much messed with every one he 'worked' with for 20 plus years. If a doctor won't see my kid with me in the room then they have no business seeing them.

How do you think the parents of those boys who were apart of the Iowa Barnstormers that had that coach doing creepy ass shit to them feel about it? My kid as a teenager doesn't need to travel around staying in hotels with strangers. They just wouldn't.

There's going to be dreams all kids have that are unrealistic due to finances. Not everyone can afford to allow kids to do all that stuff. Or have the time as parents to allow it. Parents crush the dreams of kids all the time. If my kid has dreams where putting themselves in what can be a really terrible situation that I can prevent then that's on me. I'm the parent. I take that responsibility. We can't prevent everything under the sun from happening obviously but there's lots of things to do in this world besides doing the ancillary/unnecessary things that doing some of things require.

Bottom line is it's our jobs to keep our kids safe. Once they are adults they can start taking all the risks that the world has for them. I'm not saying my kid can't do gymnastics or basketball. But if the team/organization they'd be involved with demanded overnight travel that I'd be unable to attend or doctors wanting to be alone with them I wouldn't be comfortable with that. Unless it was my brother or family member I really know. Beyond that I'll let my kid hate me in the moment. If their safe I can live with that.

I think its easy to say what any of us would have done after the fact. We werent in these parents shoes or their situation so its hard telling really. We can't bubble wrap our kids, nor can we overreact to a few rotten apples. No harm in being careful though, I agree.

I think its easy to say what any of us would have done after the fact. We werent in these parents shoes or their situation so its hard telling really. We can't bubble wrap our kids, nor can we overreact to a few rotten apples. No harm in being careful though, I agree.
Granted the world has changed a ton over the course of a generation. My old man pretty much let me do whatever I wanted to that wasn't a strain on him financially. Things I wouldn't allow my own to do. But he was lucky in that I was certainly in position to have been taken advantage of many many times. Be it with sports/boy scouts/church all kinds of stuff. Trust is a funny thing. I have a hell of a lot less of it to give then I ever used to. Especially to strangers.

Granted the world has changed a ton over the course of a generation. My old man pretty much let me do whatever I wanted to that wasn't a strain on him financially. Things I wouldn't allow my own to do. But he was lucky in that I was certainly in position to have been taken advantage of many many times. Be it with sports/boy scouts/church all kinds of stuff. Trust is a funny thing. I have a hell of a lot less of it to give then I ever used to. Especially to strangers.

Agreed. I also think we just have access to more news now. I think all of this nasty evil stuff was always happening it just didnt get out as much. It stayed more local to the area so most people in the country weren't aware it was happening. It was also a lot easier to cover this type of stuff up before the internet and cable news and all that stuff. just my $.02. Kids were always getting kidnapped, our parents just didnt know as much about it so let us roam the neighborhoods without a care in the world.

Agreed. I also think we just have access to more news now. I think all of this nasty evil stuff was always happening it just didnt get out as much. It stayed more local to the area so most people in the country weren't aware it was happening. It was also a lot easier to cover this type of stuff up before the internet and cable news and all that stuff. just my $.02. Kids were always getting kidnapped, our parents just didnt know as much about it so let us roam the neighborhoods without a care in the world.
No doubt. When I was a kid I was so oblivious to what all was going on. My parents too. Nowadays shoot. Every kid over 10 has the internet in their hands everywhere they go all the time.

No doubt. When I was a kid I was so oblivious to what all was going on. My parents too. Nowadays shoot. Every kid over 10 has the internet in their hands everywhere they go all the time.

My nephews all wear GPS watches. Not sure I woulda let that fly when I was in school. There's no way I'd want my parents to always know where I was. But such is life today. I suppose if youre a kid and you really want a cell phone you gotta agree to your parents ground rules.

I don't blame you one bit for being like that. It's a struggle to decide what is too big a risk and what isn't. My kids are still really young and I've already had issues with it. Things like do you let someone else take your kids to the pool. It's scary.

My three kids are ranging in age from 46-52. I worry about their well being every day. And, all of them are healthy, well employed, happily married, and have supplied me with 7 grandkids, all of whom I will happily worry about. It is what we do. Bet I have about 100% company on HN.

Latest posts