Most important...Win, graduate, or do things the right way?

Football is a sport so you want to win every game. Cooperation is done with your teammates and coaches but the competitve aspect is to win. The hawkeye football team is part of a larger picture of students, accomplishments, and graduation. I think Iowa can be pretty darn good while doing it right. Take a chance on a few highly skilled athletes who are good people but maybe not the best students and perhaps they will get a college degree.

All three of these are equally important but on football saturdays the coaches and especially the players want to win, the fans want them to win. They practice and they study and should work on both.

I was just honored that Jimmy B mentioned the "internet message board dopes" on the radio this morning when covering this topic.

I really don't know how the U of I ever thought this survey would be a good idea. People should be fired for this. I kind of reminds me of the "Loyal, Forever, True" slogan last year for the Clones. They were saying, "we know we will suck this year, but we are loyal, am I right?" Now Iowa is saying, "we know we are going to suck this year, but at least we graduate players and do things the right way, am I right?"

This gives me an idea on the graduation as it relates to marketing and recruiting.

How about starting a graduation day event? This would feature academic excellence at Iowa. All the graduating seniors would be there to be honored and to meet with the public about their college experiences.

This would be a great time to schedule recruiting visits. Recruits see first hand what they can accomplish at Iowa, and will be more likely to sign. The graduates could also meet with the public. Young fans would be encouraged to succeed academically.

All in all this would be a good event for the university.

This gives me an idea on the graduation as it relates to marketing and recruiting.

How about starting a graduation day event? This would feature academic excellence at Iowa. All the graduating seniors would be there to be honored and to meet with the public about their college experiences.

This would be a great time to schedule recruiting visits. Recruits see first hand what they can accomplish at Iowa, and will be more likely to sign. The graduates could also meet with the public. Young fans would be encouraged to succeed academically.

Hawknick, was this asinine survey your idea? Do you now, or have you ever worked for the UofI Athletic Department's Marketing Department, or are you related to Gary Barta? Or are you perhaps Gary Barta himself?

Hawknick, was this asinine survey your idea? Do you now, or have you ever worked for the UofI Athletic Department's Marketing Department, or are you related to Gary Barta? Or are you perhaps Gary Barta himself?

That would be a really long commute.

Des Moines morning sports talk show guy who likes to make fun of Iowa and Iowa State fans. Especially message board people.

Was kind of funny how he tried to say Iowa State had dominated the series lately winning the last two. Someone must have corrected him and then he said he was wrong that Iowa had won in ames two years ago...but still said that Iowa State had won 2 in a row? Which reminds me of Iowa State fans because the series over the past 12 years or so has essentially been even, but the Clone fans I work with are always telling me how they dominate Iowa every year.

Was kind of funny how he tried to say Iowa State had dominated the series lately winning the last two. Someone must have corrected him and then he said he was wrong that Iowa had won in ames two years ago...but still said that Iowa State had won 2 in a row? Which reminds me of Iowa State fans because the series over the past 12 years or so has essentially been even, but the Clone fans I work with are always telling me how they dominate Iowa every year.
And yet the fans are dopes, not the guy who's job it is to know this stuff. I only listen because at least they talk about sports. That other morning show on 1460 is border line disturbing so I stopped listening.

At a certain point, when does Barta and the marketing department get the axe? They cant stay out of their own way. They are printing money over there and yet they still cant help but make themselves look clueless and tone deaf. We didn't renew this year for a variety of reasons but the main one was how stupid Barta/the marketing department makes themselves look and how obvious it is that they take the fans for granted. The product on the field is never a sure thing, but at least make it look like you're trying from a marketing / gameday experience standpoint. Oh, the answer to the survey question is WIN.

And yet the fans are dopes, not the guy who's job it is to know this stuff. I only listen because at least they talk about sports. That other morning show on 1460 is border line disturbing so I stopped listening.

I actually liked listening to Brinson in the afternoons with Miller and find him entertaining. I know that will draw some jeers from some around here. I guess I always felt he was fair which is important to me. Just seemed very confused this morning on that point.

Sounds like a great idea! Do you think they would open the lots early for some tailgating? Would really fire up the crowd and give the potential recruits a look at the reception and attention they'll receive when they graduate.

Did you get the survey? I think that you are missing the point. It was a blatant attempt at corporate whitewashing. Barta, or the marketing department, appear to be completely tone deaf. The people that want to see a bunch of thugs not attending class while yet winning, are few and far between (that would describe a Clown fan...minus the winning, of course). The purpose of the survey is moot. It does nothing to improve the game day experience, it does nothing to improve the football program. The only purpose, as stated by other posters on the this site, and those on BHGP; is to provide cover for Barta to retain Ferentz should this year go badly. Predicted quote from next November: "He is doing things right", says Gary, "there are other things that are important besides winning".

Holy sh*t, man (or woman), that's a damn thumbs up!

Did you get the survey? I think that you are missing the point. It was a blatant attempt at corporate whitewashing. Barta, or the marketing department, appear to be completely tone deaf. The people that want to see a bunch of thugs not attending class while yet winning, are few and far between (that would describe a Clown fan...minus the winning, of course). The purpose of the survey is moot. It does nothing to improve the game day experience, it does nothing to improve the football program. The only purpose, as stated by other posters on the this site, and those on BHGP; is to provide cover for Barta to retain Ferentz should this year go badly. Predicted quote from next November: "He is doing things right", says Gary, "there are other things that are important besides winning".

Yes, I received the survey and filled it out, taking it at face value. I am big on facts; but, I would remind you that attempting to define someone's motivation is guesswork at best. You did not say anything about the fact that this is only the first part of the survey that has been developed. I would encourage you and others to watch for the remainder of the surveys, fill them out, think them through and then make your judgments about their value.

As to missing the point: No, I did not. In order for your belief that I missed the point to be valid, I would have to agree with a conclusion you made about "blatant corporate whitewashing." You may, or may not be correct in your assertion. I will withhold judgment on that until the surveys are complete. Then, you can decide who missed the point.

Latest posts