Most important...Win, graduate, or do things the right way?

This is just a way for Gary to get himself backed out of the corner he himself put himself in when he stated "7 wins is not acceptable" so that when Kirk and his team underperform yet again he can say, "The fans want players to graduate and do it right over winning. They showed that in this survey and our head coach does it the right way and his players graduate." Barta is either incredibly stupid or intelligent covering his ***.
He's incredibly stupid because it's way too late for CYA time.

I really couldn't care less whether or not the athletes graduate. They were given a chance to receive a free college education and if they blow it... bummer for them.

I want to win, but I want to do it without a bunch of a-hole players that are going to have their faces plastered all over the police blotter... especially because of violent crimes like assault, robbery, etc.

I'm not as worried about the "kids will be kids" stuff like an occasional drinking under age violation, but if we have to resort to signing players that are likely to rape and assault females, I'd rather just be middle of the road. Would I rather be FSU than Iowa the last few years? No, I wouldn't.

Sorry but when the University of Iowa is making millions of dollars every single year on their football program, its hard to really care about who is graduating or not

you-play-to-win-o.gif

This survey could be Barta trying to garner proof that winning actually isn't as important to Iowa fans as graduating and doing it the right way. Barta would then be able to show evidence to his new boss and show he actually hasn't been doing a bad job, lately.

This survey is either completely self-serving or asinine.

This survey could be Barta trying to garner proof that winning actually isn't as important to Iowa fans as graduating and doing it the right way. Barta would then be able to show evidence to his new boss and show he actually hasn't been doing a bad job, lately.

This survey is either completely self-serving or asinine.

Try Both.

I'm not nixing the survey in question or promoting it. Ever heard of the term "code word"? Bottom line the survey is asking with code words, "Do you want Iowa to exploit minority young men from the streets of major cities to win football games at any cost?" Just read some of the responses from "posters" and some are saying yes. If that is the case then the football contract with Kirk Ferentz needs to be rewritten. Take out the clause where he gets a bonus for a good graduation rate. Ask the admission office to admit any imbecile with a criminal record if they have five stars next to their name. Pull a UNC and give grades for pretend classes. The argument that is possible to accomplish all three is commendable, but how can Iowa achieve the goal when Ohio State, Michigan, Southern California, North Carolina,etc can't do it with all the advantages they have?

No knows what is going on behind the scenes between the Board in Control of athletics and the athletic department. The derision expressed toward Barta and Ferentz could be very misplaced. As the above title indicates there is a "Board in Control" to which Barta reports and carries out its policies.

------"Do you want Iowa to exploit minority young men from the streets of major cities to win football games at any cost?"

Duh, yes.

Do we know for certain Barta was behind this survey? What if this is more about the justification of who Iowa chooses to replace Sally? If the survey comes back that the people who are spending money place a higher value on winning then maybe they can take that evidence to support the hiring of a president who places a higher value on athletics than Sally did. Or if the survey says graduation rates are valued nearly as much then they can feel more comfortable on hiring another president who doesn't give a darn about the Athletics.
who am I kidding? its Iowa, they just want us fans to believe we are just little old Iowa and we should be happy with mediocrity because we have good graduation rates.

I'm not nixing the survey in question or promoting it. Ever heard of the term "code word"? Bottom line the survey is asking with code words, "Do you want Iowa to exploit minority young men from the streets of major cities to win football games at any cost?" Just read some of the responses from "posters" and some are saying yes. If that is the case then the football contract with Kirk Ferentz needs to be rewritten. Take out the clause where he gets a bonus for a good graduation rate. Ask the admission office to admit any imbecile with a criminal record if they have five stars next to their name. Pull a UNC and give grades for pretend classes. The argument that is possible to accomplish all three is commendable, but how can Iowa achieve the goal when Ohio State, Michigan, Southern California, North Carolina,etc can't do it with all the advantages they have?

No knows what is going on behind the scenes between the Board in Control of athletics and the athletic department. The derision expressed toward Barta and Ferentz could be very misplaced. As the above title indicates there is a "Board in Control" to which Barta reports and carries out its policies.

If, instead, you had stated: "...match academic requirements for student athletes to ensure Iowa meets the NCAA standard and allow a more broad-based standard for recruiting kids, regardless of region..." I would have been there with you.

Lighten up a little bit Bob. Listen to Deace on the recent podcast....those programs who do not push the envelope to the limits extreme very rarely taste success. Sad, but true.

This is an absolutely asinine survey... win or cheat? There are so many grey areas here that it would be impossible to answer this question with a clear answer.

Let's take a football team like Michigan State. A number of years ago they aspired to be like Iowa, and now they have surpassed us in almost every way. Is this survey saying that someone like Coach Mark Dantonio is cheating to have success? I don't see it. Or, on the academic front, how about Northwestern? Is the survey saying that Northwestern cheats academically to have success? Or, how about Minnesota? I don't see Jerry Kill cheating. So, how about if Iowa now aspires to be like Michigan State or like Northwestern or Minnesota? If this survey actually happened in the way you all are describing, then it is a sad day for Iowa Athletics.

The point I was making is that the m$u program is not better than Iowa's. The series is actually a very competitive one. This includes the 2012 win. On a side note Iowa does it without the dirty play and unethical behavior used at m$u. Iowa leads the series 23-20-2, since 1999 Iowa is 7-6 vs m$u. M$u has not won 2 in a row since 1977-1978.

This is an absolutely asinine survey... win or cheat? There are so many grey areas here that it would be impossible to answer this question with a clear answer.

Let's take a football team like Michigan State. A number of years ago they aspired to be like Iowa, and now they have surpassed us in almost every way. Is this survey saying that someone like Coach Mark Dantonio is cheating to have success? I don't see it. Or, on the academic front, how about Northwestern? Is the survey saying that Northwestern cheats academically to have success? Or, how about Minnesota? I don't see Jerry Kill cheating. So, how about if Iowa now aspires to be like Michigan State or like Northwestern or Minnesota? If this survey actually happened in the way you all are describing, then it is a sad day for Iowa Athletics.

I agree. Or, did Kirk cheat when Iowa finished #8 from 2002-04? I highly doubt it.

It's not complicated: This program has just gone downhill and IMO we need fresh blood.

Last edited:

Latest posts