Miller: Next Coach In: Who Replaces Parker?

Does anyone have any information on how Phil Parker is viewed by this, or previous years', players? Liked, disliked/resented? Seen as a leader, not so much? Curious.

Definitely no first hand knowledge but from what I have read from posts on both this board and the pay board Phil is very well liked and respected by his players.

To the extent that KF worries, I think he is worried about the current situation. Iowa football at 7-5 is going to make his seat warm before whomever he hires.

Add to this, that while the circumstances were hardly fair, the defense had a cataclysmic breakdown last year under the watchful eyes of Phil Parker and Darrell Wilson.

It wouldn't be fair to blame them, but assume KF hired one of them and it was not so good, wouldn't people be looking at 2010 and asking KF what the hell he was thinking?

I just can't see an internal hire here unless Kirk was as sure about his choice as he is about his own job. The stakes for the next two years are just too high.

Aiken can get a nice raise, has familiarity enough for Kirk to be comfy with it, and was an awesome awesome coach.

As for Brock Spack. There is no way with a name like that, and a mustache like that, that this guy isn't double dipping in the adult film industry. It simply doesn't fit the Kirk Ferentz profile. But it could make the names for the blitz packages a bit more entertaining.

Last edited:
It will be a shock if it is anyone other than Phil Parker. Then the question will be...where do you find a better db coach?

If it is going to be Phil, I have no idea why it wasn't just announced that he would be next in line for succession. We gain nothing from this mystery and speculation if it is just going to be an inside hire.

I would prefer an outside hire too. Would be ecstatic with either Aiken or Stoops however I would be more likely to see gold nuggets squeezed out of my *** before Kirk decides to snub Phil Parker.

If it is going to be Phil, I have no idea why it wasn't just announced that he would be next in line for succession. We gain nothing from this mystery and speculation if it is just going to be an inside hire.

See my above post. I don't know firsthand but a few have posted that the university needs to follow protocol and post the position to comply with EOE laws before they can announce a new DC.

Idk if its mandated but I'm gonna go with my gut and say no.

Taken from TOS:

"
Originally posted by MidnightBlueSix:
Not so fast, my friend. If Phil was a done deal, why not just announce that tonight? There's nothing to be gained by postponing that announcement. I'm not saying he's not going to get the job, but if it was as rock solid as a lot of people think, they would've probably just said so.

University hiring rules require a minimum period for the job to be posted. That's why."

The best Iowa defense I have ever seen was in 2009, maybe 2002 was better or something like that, but 09 was the best in my opinion.

The lineup was:
Clayborn, Binns, Klug, Ballard, Angerer, Hunter, Edds, Spievey, Sash, Greenwood, Prater. Maybe lots of other guys got playing time, but these were the 11

We shall see about Brod Binns and Prater, but for the most part, this whole lineup is in the NFL. And I have a good feeling about those two guys. Brett Greenwood had his situation which I understand. But the whole D is in the league, think about that.

That D should be the model, the standard. They were great, they kept us in games and allowed us to win some that we shouldn't. There are two ways to interpret this defense in terms of the coaching staff:

(1) Iowa cannot always have a D this good. Take this year for example, when the D was mediocre. There is no way Iowa can have this talent year in and year out.

(2) Or you can look at it more optimistically. This D (in 2009) was a testament to everything that Norm's scheme did well, and is it a realistic expectation for Iowa to have every year on the defensive side of the ball.

According to Rivals.com past Iowa commitment lists, the star ratings of these starters coming out of high school:
Clayborn (4), Binns (3), Klug (2), Ballard (4), Angerer (3), Hunter (4), Edds (3), Spievey (2), Sash (3), Greenwood (), Prater (3). I can't find Greenwood, maybe he was a walk-on. Maybe he was a 0 star recruit.

To me, this is more than realistic. It shows that Iowa can have a great D, and maybe also a great team with good recruiting. We don't need to recruit like Florida St or USC to field a good team, as a matter of fact, Iowa can't recruit that well anyway. There are no five star players on that Defense, let alone eleven of them. Iowa should stick with a similar defensive scheme and continue to recruit their type of players. High school kids that fit the system, fit a specific role and have natural size and at times, undiscovered athleticism. This system works, and the hiring of Phil Parker could be a great thing.

I think we need to go externally. The defense was a liability the past 2 years with Norm in and out of the hospital and Parker and Wilson were in charge. Aiken and Stoops would be great hires

Taken from TOS:

"
Originally posted by MidnightBlueSix:
Not so fast, my friend. If Phil was a done deal, why not just announce that tonight? There's nothing to be gained by postponing that announcement. I'm not saying he's not going to get the job, but if it was as rock solid as a lot of people think, they would've probably just said so.

University hiring rules require a minimum period for the job to be posted. That's why."

and, KF would never announce the new coach on the same day Norm retires. He's going to give Norm his day(s) and not take away a deserved spotlight.

It will be a shock if it is anyone other than Phil Parker. Then the question will be...where do you find a better db coach?

He could still coach DBs. O'Keefe coaches QBs now, after starting as OC/WR coach, so being DB coach and DC isn't out of the question. That being said, hiring him would open a spot on the staff numbers wise, so if Parker still coached DBs, someone could be hired somewhere on the staff.

Latest posts