Miller: Next Coach In: Who Replaces Parker?

Listen I do want to thank-you. Obviously you get where I am coming from and you are well read and reasonable with your thoughts and I can get where you are coming from. You are also not hard line and ridiculous like these others and surely you see the difference and what irritates me.

With that said what you are proposing is a trade off and that becomes a lesser of two evils situation or more to the truth are we in these games because of KF and his philosophies or are we actually losing them because of them. If it is the 1st then we need to deal, if not then he needs fired.

Now your thought is obvioulsy if he fixes this, then ...and he can change, of course. And you are right I'm not arguing his conservative nature and it isn't really debatable.....I am arguing that many are missing he does take chances and he is NOT so conservative he is losing games because of this.

Chad

I think that Kirk can be more frustrating then most coaches because he is sooo close to being one of the best coaches if not the best coach around. He just needs to tweak a few of his thoughts on game day. One thing I agree with you about is he is changing slowly but surely. He has probably went for it on 4th down more this year then the 5 previous years combined.
One thing you need to be good at on this board is weeding out the extreme posts that people type. It's those posts that make the people who have reasonable thoughts and concerns look bad because people lump them in with the extreme people who complain about everything. You are good at knowing the difference but you are one of the few who do.

Well considering I disappear for months at a time and as a result my average post per day is 2, then, well....what do you think..?!

Chad

Well considering you joined in April and you "disappear for months at a time" then your average of 2 posts a day is WAY under calculated! Dude get a freaking life....

I think that Kirk can be more frustrating then most coaches because he is sooo close to being one of the best coaches if not the best coach around. He just needs to tweak a few of his thoughts on game day. One thing I agree with you about is he is changing slowly but surely. He has probably went for it on 4th down more this year then the 5 previous years combined.
One thing you need to be good at on this board is weeding out the extreme posts that people type. It's those posts that make the people who have reasonable thoughts and concerns look bad because people lump them in with the extreme people who complain about everything. You are good at knowing the difference but you are one of the few who do.

The thing that frustrates me the most is that Kirk was a pretty aggressive coach in the 2000-04 range. It was at some point after this where he began to become more and more conservative.

Well considering you joined in April and you "disappear for months at a time" then your average of 2 posts a day is WAY under calculated! Dude get a freaking life....

Dude, look around I'm a neophyte. You can't cyber bully me here friend....sorry I just wanted to say cyber bullying.....:D

Chad

The thing that frustrates me the most is that Kirk was a pretty aggressive coach in the 2000-04 range. It was at some point after this where he began to become more and more conservative.

I know I irritate you but this really isn't true.

Chad

I think Kirk has always been conservative but he had the 02 and 04 offense to help mask it for a while. In fact he almost cost us the PSU game in 02 by getting over conservative in the 4th with a 22 point lead

This is 100% true, and I appreciate the kudos, but I have my moments when I get overly frustrated. Now I do typically get who is trying to understand why we are so close, yet still losing and that is definitely you. Unfortunately I don't see it quite as simple as you and honestly that is frustrating to me. I too think we should win more games, it is more ethereal for me, and more of an attitude or mantra that we seem to have lost, than any simple play calling, scheme or philosophy change. But that's just my opinion.

Really though, and you may already know this about me......I get more frustrated with the lack of objectivity or national perspective than anything Iowa related and in turn I get upset with myself, for getting pi&*y as I can. I expect more of myself and there in lies the rub. Few are more high strung and expect more of themselves and things in general than me, yet I'm not prepared to run down the team I love on a message board. Its not even about KF, we spend 4 mill a year I know we could do it with someone else. But I, like you I'll wager, know it can all get sideways pretty quick to. Even with good intentions....every top tier team in the polls have had some really, really poor hirers and down turns in the last 30 years.

I don't want to be one of them

Chad

your letting wins jade reality....

We have blitzed more, subbed more, played more frosh, went for more 4th downs, thrown down field more, etc, etc....than we ever did back then.

Chad

Remember when we used to bubble screen teams to death. We didn't throw deep to CJ and Moe or Kasper, near as much as we do now and in fact that is one of the things that frustrates me and makes me call BS on the conservative/predictable play calling crap. I personally would have run more in a lot of those situations and in fact we throw a lot of 20 plus yard sideline fades and those are not a very high percentage play.

Now to be fair to the staff, I get we have better Wr's now maybe and I also get I'm not privy to what they are trying to set up 4 and 10 and 20 plays latter. That's why I personally give them the benefit of the doubt, because I know its not as cut and dried as the critics always make it.

Chad

your letting wins jade reality....

We have blitzed more, subbed more, played more frosh, went for more 4th downs, thrown down field more, etc, etc....than we ever did back then.

Chad

Got a link for the 4th down numbers? The other things can all be attributed to not being a very good team this year. We've thrown more because we've been behind so much and because the college game has changed and everybody throws more. We blitz and play more freshman because we have very few talented upperclassmen on defense and our DL is terrible. This isn't because the staff is being aggressive.

Ferentz used to go for the kill when he got the chance, now his strategy is get a lead and sit on it.

I don't want Kirk gone. Our recruiting has been pretty good lately and changing coaches might mess that up. I would like a new OC though but not so much because of the job Ken does. I think Ken and Kirk either have the same weaknesses or they are to good of friends for Ken to speak up and let Kirk know when he is doing something that may not be the best idea. If we could get an OC that countered Kirk's conservativeness and was good at clock management we would be a lot better off

Got a link for the 4th down numbers? The other things can all be attributed to not being a very good team this year. We've thrown more because we've been behind so much and because the college game has changed and everybody throws more. We blitz and play more freshman because we have very few talented upperclassmen on defense and our DL is terrible. This isn't because the staff is being aggressive.

Ferentz used to go for the kill when he got the chance, now his strategy is get a lead and sit on it.

Sorry not tracking and Id wager very few that even hold your position would agree. Lots of close games back then and in fact here are a couple that stick out......

2002......42-35 against PSU in a game as PC said we were leading by 3tds in the 4th.

2002....31-28 against 7-6 PU we looked terrible in for much of the game. We did get aggressive late.

2002...24-8 against Indiana who was terrible, Steen intercepted 4 passes I think that we were very vanilla in.....

In 2003, that team was really very good, but we were completely out of sorts vs MSU, tOSU was actually a very good game but their D was better than ours and against PU we looked terrible. Not aggressive in the least in losing 14-27...then again we did lose so of course we were predicable, right??!?!

In 2004 we beat ISU 17-10, we were definitely dialing it up then.

6-4 vs 3-9 PSU when we took a sfty on purpose and THEN kicked it to PSU with about 2 minutes left. KF faded a lot of media heat over that but I liked it.

23-13 vs 3-8 Illinois...

23-21 vs 7-5 PU...

29-27 vs 7-5 Minne, that had they had a kicker they'd have won.

In fact I'm not sure what you are basing your thesis on but we have actually scored the 2nd and 3rd most points in the KF era in 2008 and 2010. Now I know that doesn't tell the whole "conservative" story, but if you can't give credit for the adjustments to anything other than personnel and we didn't have a choice, it kind of ruins the whole KF and staff don't change or adjust to their personnel mantra that folks like you are so inclined to perpetuate......:D

Funny how that works, eh?!

Chad

Last edited:
Sorry not tracking and Id wager very few that even hold your position would agree. Lots of close games back then and in fact here are a couple that stick out......

2002......42-35 against PSU in a game as PC said we were leading by 3tds in the 4th.

2002....31-28 against 7-6 PU we looked terrible in for much of the game. We did get aggressive late.

2002...24-8 against Indiana who was terrible, Steen intercepted 4 passes I think that we were very vanilla in.....

In 2003, that team was really very good, but we were completely out of sorts vs MSU, tOSU was actually a very good game but their D was better than ours and against PU we looked terrible. Not aggressive in the least in losing 14-27...then again we did lose so of course we were predicable, right??!?!

In 2004 we beat ISU 17-10, we were definitely dialing it up then.

6-4 vs 3-9 PSU when we took a sfty on purpose and THEN kicked it to PSU with about 2 minutes left. KF faded a lot of media heat over that but I liked it.

23-13 vs 3-8 Illinois...

23-21 vs 7-5 PU...

29-27 vs 7-5 Minne, that had they had a kicker they'd have won.

In fact I'm not sure what you are basing your thesis on but we have actually scored the 2nd and 3rd most points in the KF era in 2008 and 2010. Now I know that doesn't tell the whole "conservative" story, but if you can't give credit for the adjustments to anything other than personnel and we didn't have a choice, it kind of ruins the whole KF and staff don't change or adjust to their personnel mantra that folks like you are so inclined to perpetuate......:D

Funny how that works, eh?!

Chad

Chad you write a lot about but you don't really say much. What is your point in throwing out all these games? You don't seem to understanding why people think he's too conservative. You can be aggressive and smart in close games. You can be conservative and still score a lot of points too. It's about taking calculated risks in certain situations and Kirk seems to be using the wrong "percentages" in some situations to steal your terminology.

Chad you write a lot about but you don't really say much. What is your point in throwing out all these games? You don't seem to understanding why people think he's too conservative. You can be aggressive and smart in close games. You can be conservative and still score a lot of points too. It's about taking calculated risks in certain situations and Kirk seems to be using the wrong "percentages" in some situations to steal your terminology.

here are those 4th down numbers you wanted.....we were 40th last year at .8 per game.

College Football Stats - College FB Team Fourth Down Conversions per Game on TeamRankings.com

We were 100th the year before at .4 and 117th in 2009 at .2....

For comparison sake.....in 2003-2004 we were .4 and 94th , 2004/05 we were 79th at .3 and in 2005/06 we were 117th again at .2.....

Now one thing you'll note about me, I don't cherry pick stuff and these numbers (other than this year) don't show ultra aggression period, but it does show they weren't more so back when and they did amp it up considerably this year.

Also its not me who doesn't get it or see it....how many times would you say you have seen team A (ultra aggressive team A at that) go into a shell and do nothing with the ball at some point in the game especially at the end?!?! It happens constantly and you have all complained about it. It has happened more times than any of us can remember, we all say we hate it and yet some how over here, you cats act like KF invented it.....

Same goes with a so-called prevent D or playing CB's off the line...I watch it every Sunday, every Saturday and yes in high school and it happens with so-called aggressive coaches and not so-called aggressive coaches. You know it, I know it and yet you want our coaches fired for it, like they are the only good coaches doing it...?!?!

Pretty dang short sighted and a total lack of perspective or insight to the landscape of football.

Anything else old pal....

Chad

Last edited:
Just sticking my head up after writing for the last two hours...here another 'Who's Next' offering..I intentionally did not read anything else so as to not 'infect' my point of view, right wrong or indifferent. I have pretty much had my names pegged for the last month anyway:

Who’s next? | TheGazette

What about Bobby Diaco? Too much of a sideways move for him to consider? What about making him a HC in waiting, but keeping it quite for a couple years? Similar to what Barry did in Wisky...

Latest posts