Miller: Matt Gatens Unlikely Lightning Rod

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Iowa junior guard Matt Gatens seems to come under fire as of late with every Hawkeye loss.

People love to play the blame game. If something goes wrong, it seems a human instinct is to find out why and assign blame, even if that blame is misdirected or not exactly well thought out.

In my opinion, that's what going on with Matt Gatens and some of the venom that is coming his way from Iowa fans.

Hey, I realize that Matt isn't exactly setting the world on fire as of late, but few of his teammates are doing that and none of them is doing so consistently. Matt is option #1 or 1a on a Big Ten team where he was never suited to have to perform in that role. However, due to his loyalty to his hometown and his lifelong dream of wanting to be an Iowa basketball player, he stuck around when it would have been easier to leave. Far easier to leave.

Had he left, he would have been vilified worse than Jason Bohanon was for committing to and playing for Wisconsin. Jason was the son of a Hawkeye Rose Bowl quarterback and prepped in Cedar Rapids.

However, a star player, the state's Mr. Basketball, leaving Johnson County would have been akin to outright treason in the minds of some fans and the outrage would have been deafening, or in the case of the message board world, blinding.

During Iowa's current three game losing streak, Gatens is 23 of 66 from the floor, or 34.8%. As Iowa's best, and only legitimate three-point shooting threat, he's 9 of 39 from distance, or 23%.

Those are rough numbers for your best shooter and the offensive player you have focused on as your leader and I won't say differently.

However, as I stated above, I don't believe Gatens was ever suited to have to be the go to guy, or the lone shooter, or the best offensive player, etc. It's unfair to have those expectations of Gatens when the function of the talent around him is something he has no control over.

Which is why when I saw my friend Chris Hassel of WHO-TV in Des Moines tweet the following, I instantly stepped in from the lanai on Sanibel Island, FL to write something. Here is what Hassel tweeted:

"Matt Gatens is one below average season away from becoming the most overrated Hawkeye bball player of all-time."

Perhaps I am just too sensitive to criticisms of players. I won't argue that I am not; I hate it when people tee off on kids that choose to wear the Iowa uniform considering all of the time they put in to try to bring us something that has given most of us (at least over the age of 20) a lot of joy through the years and more often than not.

But to say he is one below average season away from becoming one of the most overrated Hawkeye basketball players of all time?

Sorry, I can't go there and not even half way.

Matt Gatens has scored just over 1,060 points in his Iowa career. If he is healthy next season, he will top the 1,400 mark with an outside shot at the 1,500 point mark.

Ed Horton scored 1,372 points in his career, good for 12th on Iowa's all time scoring list. If Gatens can top 1,502, he'll pass Jeff Horner for 11th place all time.

Say Gatens scores his average over the next two games, and say Iowa loses that second game in the first round of the Big Ten tourney. He will have scored around 1,100 points in three seasons. If he averages 12.5 points per game next year and plays in 32 games, he will push Horner's mark and also Brunner's 1,516 which is 10th all time.

Gatens' scoring average has increased in each of this three seasons and has never been below 10.8.

I guess we'd have to define what an average season is before we can talk about what below average is. But when you are talking about someone that is on pace to challenge for a Top 10 position on Iowa's all time scoring list if he averages as many points next year as he has in this year that many feel is a disappointment, then I can hardly categorize that as having an overrated career, much less the most overrated player in Iowa basketball history.

Some will now say that stats can lie, etc. Sure they can. However, I am fine going deeper with you because a deeper analysis is necessary before tossing around such epitaphs.

This Iowa team is going to lose at least 20 games. Last year's team lost more than 20. Prior to last season, no Iowa team had ever lost more than 19 games, and the three year Todd Lickliter stretch was the worst three year period in Iowa basketball history. It made those 50-plus year old Iowa fans pine for the Dick Schultz era, and that era frankly sucked.

It was also the era that Matt's dad Mike played in, mostly. Mike was there at the tail end of the Schultz era and the beginning of the Lute Olson era. I am hopeful that Matt will also be around for a season next year where the tide begins to shift for this program. At least Matt has his father to turn to for guidance and perspective on this situation.

Gatens stayed around with Jake Kelly and Jeff Peterson left. Gatens stayed around with Aaron Fuller left. Lickliter wasn't a great recruiter to begin with but Gatens is the rare player that commits to a school, not a coach. He committed to Steve Alford and stayed when Lickliter was hired and stayed when McCaffery was hired.

He stayed when others left or were fired, and he knew what it wasn't going to be easy in staying.

This year, he is Iowa's lone, legit three-point threat. That means defenses don't need to sag off him all that much, because if one guy stays home on Gatens, the chances of being burned elsewhere are not high. It was worse last year with Cully Payne as Iowa's point guard, because he was a true frosh and didn't have the abilities that Bryce Cartwright possesses in getting to the rim and being someone the defense marks. Gatens has also had an emerging Melsahn Basabe this year, which will pay dividends next year.

If Iowa had one more consistent outside shooter this year (hello, Ben Brust), Gatens numbers would have been better and he would be looking at a fun 2011-2012 because of the point guard, post player options that Iowa has in Cartwright and Basabe, and someone on the opposite wing to draw attention.

Can Zach McCabe step into that role? Eric May? Devyn Marble? Someone really needs to. At any rate, Cartwright and Basabe are going to be circled on the scouting report next year which is going to benefit Gatens.

The biggest criticism I would lay at Matt's feet this year is his flagging defense; I think he has allowed his offensive struggles to carry over to the other side of the court, a cardinal basketball sin. He has never been an elite defender nor will he be, but the second half of this season has been a defensive erosion.

Gatens is slumping to the finish line this year in a season that began with a pin in his hand and where he had to play several games with a brace on his wrist. That jacks with muscle memory and can affect a shot. It hasn't been an easy ride for him this year and the last two years he was simply a marked man.

Teams are wise to focus on Gatens, because even if Basabe and Cartwright get theirs, if you harass Gatens and keep him off kilter, the Hawks will be hard pressed to score 65 points and they aren't exactly a steel curtain on defense this year.

Gatens should never have been in the position he has found himself in, as a Big Ten number-one scoring option. That's not who he was or who he is. He'd be a great #3 option, ala Jason Bohannon.

When people think of Bohannon, they think 'Great career at Wisconsin,' even though he never averaged more than 11.8 points per game in any season and finished with 1,170 points, a mark Gatens will eclipse by the end of November 2011.

Yet Bohannon played for a program where he fulfilled his role because he had good pieces around him that fulfilled their roles, and they won. Are you going to fault Matt Gatens for such aspects that have been lacking in the program he committed to?

Perhaps keep some of these things in mind when you consider not on Gatens' season and career, but the commitment he has shown to his hometown school and the Iowa basketball program during the past four years.

Believe it or not, things would be much worse without him.

He is an average player that will score 1,400 pts due to starting on terrible teams for four years and being the first option to score.

He should not be crushed for being average - Iowa fans expect too much from him for some reason - why? BC he is from IC?

Gatens is an average player, and not really a difference maker on a good team.

I'm glad he's a Hawkeye and I'll continue to root for him, but he's a pretty average player.

I'm pretty sure most of this ire is due to the 4 stars that were attached to his name during the recruiting process. People therefore expect him to come in and carry the team

Another thing

Gatens has scored a lot of points because he got to come in as a true freshman and start from day 1.

Not every player can say that.

He's had a nice career, but he's not a difference maker.

John, you are way too sensitive. Much of the criticism towards Matt's game is warranted. Matt is not our go-to guy; hasn't been for most of the second half of the season. There is not near as much focus on Gatens from our opponents as you and others would like to believe. Gatens has seen more open looks this year than he has in probably his first two years combined, especially given his time in Lackluster's "offense". Bryce and company have done a great job of setting him up this year. The misses are on Gatens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure most of this ire is due to the 4 stars that were attached to his name during the recruiting process. People therefore expect him to come in and carry the team

Who gave him 4 stars? Rivals has him 3 stars and ranked lower than Oglesby

He's a good player but not a great player who gets defended heavily because we're not that good and only Cartwright can drive.

John, you are way too sensitive. Much of the criticism towards Matt's game is warranted. Matt is not our go-to guy; hasn't been for most of the second half of the season. There is not near as much focus on Gatens from our opponents as you and others would like to believe. Gatens has seen more open looks this year than he has in probably his first two years combined, especially given his time in Lackluster's "offense". Bryce and company have done a great job of setting him up this year. The misses are on Gatens.

Apparently John hasn't watched a ton of games lately. Matt is not even drawing the other teams best defender anymore. He was last year, because Cully couldn't get anywhere to scare you and no other player on the team was a threat at all. Matt did draw the best defenders last season. This season he is hardly guarded that hard. Go watch good defensive teams guard Diebler and Hoffarber (pre Nolen dismissal), those guys have a guy in their jersey all game. Matt does not get guarded like that anymore.

Cartwright is the guy that teams worry about as he is the most dynamic player on the court for Iowa.

Basabe is not as much of a factor becuase he relies on put backs or having someone throw him the ball down low.

Nobody has any idea what it was that you wrote.

ME?

yeah sorry you can tell if you read the post what John wrote vs what I wrote.

I actually don't mind Gatens I think he is a solid player. I don't know why he gets hated on so much. I think he got too much love around here as a freshmen but last year and this year he has started taking too much flack.

Just because he gets some open looks doesn't mean he's not getting a lot of attention. Iowa is constantly setting double sometimes triple screens trying to get him open but the opposing teams are all looking for him.

Games like Ohio State I remember they absolutely mauled him trying to keep him in check and Diebler was on him the entire game.

Does he deserve criticism for missing the big open shots. Absolutely but he is clearly not a bad player. From Iowa State to Northwestern he was shooting over 40% and from Iowa State to now he isn't shooting a pretty good percentage

No doubt I have been disappointed with Gatens performance as most have. I don't expect the kid to set the world on fire, but he is a junior on a young team and let's be honest, McCaffrey looked to him play a prominent role in the offense and his perimeter game outside of garbage time isn't very impressive.

With that being said, he plays hard every night and isn't to blame for the delusional Iowa fans that annointed him savior of the program. There are two lessons I hope people learn from Gatens: 1) We need a lot of help next year and in coming years to compete in the big ten. 2) Iowa high school basketball is not close to being on par with other states, period. Basabe was a nobody in NY, but would have won Mr. Basketball here hands down. Gatens, like McCabe, was a dominant high school player in Iowa, but that does not translate to the big ten.

ME?

yeah sorry you can tell if you read the post what John wrote vs what I wrote.

I actually don't mind Gatens I think he is a solid player. I don't know why he gets hated on so much. I think he got too much love around here as a freshmen but last year and this year he has started taking too much flack.

If you had your own comments in that quoted section you had, I am sorry. I thought it was an aborted attempt to quote my entire article and I removed it just so that there aren't duplicates. My apologies.

Just because he gets some open looks doesn't mean he's not getting a lot of attention. Iowa is constantly setting double sometimes triple screens trying to get him open but the opposing teams are all looking for him.

Games like Ohio State I remember they absolutely mauled him trying to keep him in check and Diebler was on him the entire game.

Does he deserve criticism for missing the big open shots. Absolutely but he is clearly not a bad player. From Iowa State to Northwestern he was shooting over 40% and from Iowa State to now he isn't shooting a pretty good percentage

True, but it's misleading to state(not that you did) that he is getting as much attention as he was last year.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's appropriate for a member of a local TV sports team to offer an opinion like this on twitter. I generally like Chris Hassel and Channel 13, but in this case, I'm not crazy about him putting that out there.

I think most of the frusteration with Gatens is not that he has failed to bring us to the promised land, or that he has not developed into an all-B1G player (I know I have not been around long, but I certainly haven't seen anyone say something like this before or during this season). People are frusterated with Gatens because he has clearly regressed from earlier in the season and in previous seasons. His numbers are similar to last year's, but since Big 10 play started, there has been a noticable decline in his effectiveness.

However, while I certainly don't think any player is immune from criticism, he certainly doesn't deserve the lion's share of the blame. It isn't Gatens' fault we suck. We suck with him, and we would suck without him. If you expected the team to be more productive this year, then that is a problem with you. I know I was called a troll in January when I said I would leave forever if this team won more than 5 games in conference, because too many people had unrealistic expectations, and now they have to lash out to justify their ignorance.

As Grandpa says: "That's a damn shame"

Is it fair to that he his the lighnting rod, maybe, he is a captain and one of the veterans on the team. Do I feel he deserves to be a target like he is? Nope. Watching him run off pics and such, there is a defender on his hip all the way. I think he has played well this year to be honest, and think with player development around him, could open him up. Gatens has allowed guys like Basabe to grow down on the block and Cartwright getting into the lane.

Latest posts