Miller: Matt Gatens Unlikely Lightning Rod

We all know that Matt had hand surgery in late November,and that he wore a cumbersome wrap on his left hand in the 1st seven games he played this year.
He shot horribly in that stretch from the arc...6 of 35.
Then the wrap came off(altho the hand will not totally heal til after the season) for the ISU game,and since then,he has shot almost 38% from the arc overall.

It might sound like an excuse,but a shooters hands,and the placement of the ball are critical. He has slumped the last 13 games,shooting around 27% for that stretch,and has missed some open looks that surprised me,but this league is #2 in RPI and it is tough,so a reduced percentage of makes is not a shock.

I look at Hoffarber who led the nation in shooting from the arc last year with Nolen and Joseph handling the pg duties...this year he is down over 14 % from the arc.
Injuries,role changes,ect...this all can effect the shooting from the arc.

I fully expect Matt to bounce back,if healthy,next year,and have a percentage over 40%. That would only be a few points higher than his healthy shooting percentage this year.

Again, its more important at what point of the game do you make the shot. Its very similar to foul shooting. I've seen 80% foul shooters become 50% foul shooters in the final 2 minutes of games and have also seen 50% foul shooters become 80% shooters the last 2 minutes of games. I'd take the latter obviously. I'm not going to site the instances that Iowa has missed wide open looks down the stretch in tight games, but there have been many.

Funny, if a player made 50% of their FTs normally, and 80% down the stretch, I'd call him out for not concentrating all game long.

Latest posts