Miller: Matt Gatens Unlikely Lightning Rod

Matt Gatens is not a particularly good shooter. He lacks athleticism, and he's not a good defender or rebounder. Other than that, he's a great player.

Matt Gatens or Kent McCausland?
Matt Gatens or Ryan Leuhrsman?
Matt Gatens or Kyle Galloway?
Matt Gatens or Ollie from the movie 'Hoosiers'?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's appropriate for a member of a local TV sports team to offer an opinion like this on twitter. I generally like Chris Hassel and Channel 13, but in this case, I'm not crazy about him putting that out there.

I dont have a problem with him expressing an opinion, and just disagree on the opinion.

ME?

yeah sorry you can tell if you read the post what John wrote vs what I wrote.

I actually don't mind Gatens I think he is a solid player. I don't know why he gets hated on so much. I think he got too much love around here as a freshmen but last year and this year he has started taking too much flack.

There you go. Maybe just try bolding what are your thought instead of making people hunt for it.

Just because he gets some open looks doesn't mean he's not getting a lot of attention. Iowa is constantly setting double sometimes triple screens trying to get him open but the opposing teams are all looking for him.

Games like Ohio State I remember they absolutely mauled him trying to keep him in check and Diebler was on him the entire game.

Does he deserve criticism for missing the big open shots. Absolutely but he is clearly not a bad player. From Iowa State to Northwestern he was shooting over 40% and from Iowa State to now he isn't shooting a pretty good percentage

Diebler is their worst perimeter defender. Gatens has missed a ton of wide open shots this year that he needs to knock down. Cartwright was a blessing for Gatens because he is the first player MG has played with who can actually break down a defender to get him open shots. MG, like all of the other holdovers sadly is what he is.

The team's struggles this season are not wholly on Matt; it has been a team effort, to be sure. But the turnovers, repeatedly driving the line only to get stuffed, missing wide open shots, not at least playing aggressive defense on the other end even when the shots aren't falling -- those are on Matt.

Granted, he has been put in positions he's not familiar with and probably not equipped to play. But next to Jarryd he is the most veteran, experienced player on the team. I'm disappointed he has not stepped up and been more of a leader in a new year with a new coach and a bunch of young players. I suspect Matt shares some of that disappointment.

I've posted previously that all starting positions have to be wide open next year. No one can expect entitlement to anything other than they'll have a fair chance to compete.

Matt Gatens is a good kid but I think the criticism of his play on the court is fair.

It was noted earlier that he lacks athelticsm to finish at the rim, is not a good defender or rebounder and the one thing this team absolutely needs to get over the hump is outside shooting and he has not performing there either. So how is his play benefiting this program?

It was also noted that he is drawing 'defensive attention' but he has missed a large number of great and/or very good looks, especially down the stretch. Many of these are the types of looks that our opponents routinely make. I don't expect great shooting when a player is guarded tightly but I do expect more makes than misses when you are playing the shooting guard spot and you are open.

I think had he not been from Iowa City and with heritage he would be playing far fewer minutes and coming off of the bench. Similar to where Eric May finds himself.

I would like to see Coach Fran bring Gatens off the bench with the sole role of outside shooting. If he hits, he plays. If not, he goes to the bench. I would like to see a starting lineup of Cartwright-PG, Marble-SG, McCabe-SF, Basabe-PF & Cole-C. We need the best set of players on the floor and this lineup is it.

In the off-season Gatens needs to focus solely on knocking down the open 3. That should be his sole role on next year's team.

We have lost multiple games this season, especially down the stretch because he could not knock down the open, not the well guarded, three.

Why is this important? We could have won 3-5 more games this season if Gatens had knocked down the open 3. 10 wins vs. 14-15 wins looks a whole lot better to recruits and provides the tangible evidence that we are moving forward.

Again, hate to play the blame game also but I think the on the court play criticism is fair. Would like to be proven wrong.

Matt Gatens is a good kid but I think the criticism of his play on the court is fair.

It was noted earlier that he lacks athelticsm to finish at the rim, is not a good defender or rebounder and the one thing this team absolutely needs to get over the hump is outside shooting and he has not performing there either. So how is his play benefiting this program?.

-Attacking the rim is not his game and should only be done so if opps present
-His rebounding: he is a 2 guard, and guards guards. Not gonna board much
-He should mostly have a shooting role, but he plays on a team that doesnt have such luxuries
-How is he benefiting the program. you do realize we are talking about the teams LEADING SCORER

Who gave him 4 stars? Rivals has him 3 stars and ranked lower than Oglesby

Here you go:
Scout.com: Matt Gatens Profile

But what bothers me the most is this:
Matt Gatens Stats, News, Photos - Iowa Hawkeyes - ESPN

Look at his 3-point percentages, year by year. Over 40% as a freshman, and under 33% since then.

I am not questioning Matt Gatens' effort on the floor and I have never blamed him for any losses. But I DO think it's reasonable to ask where his shot has gone since his freshman season.

-He should mostly have a shooting role, but he plays on a team that doesnt have such luxuries
-How is he benefiting the program. you do realize we are talking about the teams LEADING SCORER

So why has he been doing it almost game after game? I cringe every time I see him driving towards the lane with taller defenders in the vicinity, because I know three times out of four the result is not going to be good.

Fran must have talked to him because he seems to have done it less the last couple of games. But still, Jon, I think you have to acknowledge he's pretty much a one-dimension player. Opposing teams do not need to worry about him, putting more pressure on Bryce, Mel and Jarryd.

Look I like Gatens as a Hawkeye and he gives maximum effort. I would prefer to see him playing far less minutes and the minutes he does play is predicated off of making the three. Similar to Jeff Moe; when you hit you play, when you miss you sit.

Cartwright and Basabe are this team's best players. Cole has had a really nice season, especially in the Big Ten. Marble & McCabe have had little flashes but are true freshman. Brommer has given some good minutes and shown me something in a number of games. May has disappeared but I suspect is being hurt by Gatens. May is not a small forward and should be playing the shooting guard.

I would like to see Gatens coming off of the bench and instead play this lineup as the primary starters and players;;;;

Cartwright - PG (no brainer)

Marble - SG (love his long, lean frame and can create his own shot - love his pull up game also).... not consistent but more minutes would be beneficial

McCabe - SF (gives the lineup some size, like his rebounding and I think has the potential to knock down some threes from time to time from the wing)

Basabe - PF (no brainer)

Cole - C (undersized but love his effort and he has improved his shot/game)

Then,,,, bring Brommer, Gatens, May off of the bench. I would even give Stroemer a few minutes if Gatens and May are not producing.

I will go on a strong limb and say that Oglesby will help relieve the stress of perimeter shooting next year. In fact I would say because of that he may free Matt up some to give him a more calm and relaxed approach to his game. I have noticed that teams that have more than one good shooters attend to benefit better. Who do you guard? Mel, Bryce, will create to get their shots. Having Oglesby will settle some tension on Matt. You will see a different ball player out of Gatens next year. Just a gut feeling!

Here you go:
Scout.com: Matt Gatens Profile

But what bothers me the most is this:
Matt Gatens Stats, News, Photos - Iowa Hawkeyes - ESPN

Look at his 3-point percentages, year by year. Over 40% as a freshman, and under 33% since then.

I am not questioning Matt Gatens' effort on the floor and I have never blamed him for any losses. But I DO think it's reasonable to ask where his shot has gone since his freshman season.

Since he got out of his hand brace (Iowa State game) he's been shooting .374 and that number was .390 before last game. If you look at since he's been healthy I think he's had a pretty good year

I also think having Peterson and Kelly that first year helped him out. He's been asked to do more (40-50 more attempts per year) since they left. If we add another threat from the wing his percentage will go back up.

Even though he's had a good year he still isn't clutch which is what some people are complaining about. I understand that the frustration but I never expected him to be the clutch player for Iowa

btw thanks, I didn't realize Scout had him rated so highly

Last edited:
I will go on a strong limb and say that Oglesby will help relieve the stress of perimeter shooting next year. In fact I would say because of that he may free Matt up some to give him a more calm and relaxed approach to his game. I have noticed that teams that have more than one good shooters attend to benefit better. Who do you guard? Mel, Bryce, will create to get their shots. Having Oglesby will settle some tension on Matt. You will see a different ball player out of Gatens next year. Just a gut feeling!

I am also very hopeful that Oglesby can come in and knock down the open 3. That would really, really help the team and force teams to make a choice; stop Cartwright's penetration or contend with a guy knocking down open three's.

The shots have been there, Gatens primarily (and others) are not making the shots.

I worry though that this is a lot to ask of a freshman.

I am convinced that we would have won 3-5 more games this season by knocking down some/more open 3's. As an example we had Minnesota on the ropes early at 14-6 and we came down the floor the next two possessions and Gatens missed open looks at three. The momentum shifted after those misses and we could not pull Minny out of the zone or make them pay. Game over. That was one of many winnable games lost by lack of perimeter game. That's the one thing we need from our shooting guard.

Is it fair to that he his the lighnting rod, maybe, he is a captain and one of the veterans on the team. Do I feel he deserves to be a target like he is? Nope. Watching him run off pics and such, there is a defender on his hip all the way. I think he has played well this year to be honest, and think with player development around him, could open him up. Gatens has allowed guys like Basabe to grow down on the block and Cartwright getting into the lane.

How many games have you watched this year? Matt has had a TON of open looks this year. A TON. One would believe that his shooting percentage would've improved significantly over last year considering most of his shots were forced, 26ft prayers as the shot clock expired. That hasn't happened. Then you go on to say that Gatens "has allowed guys like Basabe to grow down on the block and Cartwright getting into the lane?" That couldn't be any further from the truth. Basabe and Cartwright have allowed Gatens the opportunity to knock down a ton of open looks b/c of their development into legit Big10 players.

Gatens is not the problem. He is a pretty good player on a truly mediocre team. Overall, we just don't have the talent right now to compete in the Big Ten. Cartwright, Basabe and Marble are a step in the right direction, because they are quick and athletic enough to compete at this level. We will continue to lose until the talent level dramatically improves.

It was noted earlier that he lacks athelticsm to finish at the rim, is not a good defender or rebounder and the one thing this team absolutely needs to get over the hump is outside shooting and he has not performing there either. So how is his play benefiting this program?

It was also noted that he is drawing 'defensive attention' but he has missed a large number of great and/or very good looks, especially down the stretch. Many of these are the types of looks that our opponents routinely make. I don't expect great shooting when a player is guarded tightly but I do expect more makes than misses when you are playing the shooting guard spot and you are open.

I think had he not been from Iowa City and with heritage he would be playing far fewer minutes and coming off of the bench. Similar to where Eric May finds himself.

I would like to see Coach Fran bring Gatens off the bench with the sole role of outside shooting. If he hits, he plays. If not, he goes to the bench. I would like to see a starting lineup of Cartwright-PG, Marble-SG, McCabe-SF, Basabe-PF & Cole-C. We need the best set of players on the floor and this lineup is it.

In the off-season Gatens needs to focus solely on knocking down the open 3. That should be his sole role on next year's team.

We have lost multiple games this season, especially down the stretch because he could not knock down the open, not the well guarded, three.

Why is this important? We could have won 3-5 more games this season if Gatens had knocked down the open 3. 10 wins vs. 14-15 wins looks a whole lot better to recruits and provides the tangible evidence that we are moving forward.

Again, hate to play the blame game also but I think the on the court play criticism is fair. Would like to be proven wrong.

So you want Matt to shoot better than 50% from outside and you also don't think he should start.......AND Matt has lost the team 3-5 games. You seriously need to lower your expectations. If you don't, you will be disapointed more often than not. Matt is what Matt is. A decent player that would benefit greatly on a team with superior athletes. He has struggled this year for whatever reason, and I would be willing to bet he would be the first to admit this.........but you are flat out wrong if you think he should be riding the pine.

Latest posts