Miller: Is Gesell the First Domino?

Boy, talk about an influx of height that could possibly happen. Wow. If all of this comes to fruition, then the team can get some quality depth which is so important for the style of play that Fran likes to play. Having quality depth that can contribute is key & this is something Iowa hasn't had in yrs past. Exciting news.

This is a great get. Don't know whether we land Woodbury and Abrahamson, but certainly this doesn't hurt our chances. It's a first real sign that something good is happening in Iowa City. Players who want to be part of something special will also commit.

Get 'er done, Fran!

art_12740_big.jpg

It's hard not imagining with this commitment that maybe Gesell knows something about where the other two will go that we don't, and that maybe that played a factor into his decision. We can only hope.

Hope that Mike can help lure Adam and Kale. Adding Gaines would be the final piece to the puzzle,a much needed athletic wing/shooter/defender is a must. This class could jumpstart Fran's whole program,and put him on a sustainable long term upper half in the league arc,which would make him greatly loved and appreciated at Iowa,where we are starving for bb success.

Great get,Fran! Congrats to Mike!

Gesell and Meyer already make this the best class since Horner-Brunner (which says how weak the recruiting has been).

I live in Clemson SC, and I've seen Meyer twice in AAU. He is no stiff -- he struck me as being in the Street/Lorenzen mode of a high-level garbage player. If we have a slashing wing to go with Gesell, Meyer is the kind of player that could get 10-12pts and 8rbs a game and drive the other team nuts by how he goes about getting it.

If Fran lands Woody and another top 150 kid, I'd expect to see Meyer get a bump and end up in the final 150.

We could see four or five top-150 kids in this class. We haven't seen that since Ravelling.

Roy Williams is the devil. Hopefully other UNC offers commit before Woodbury, I think that is our only real chance.

I think having an elite/solid point guard committed is HUGE in bball....being able to tell stud post players "Hey, we have Mike coming in, you've seen him on the AAU circuit...he's going to get you the ball."

Iowa is also heavily involved with Georgia prep Kenny Gaines

Anyone hearing anything about what kind of shot we have with him? I haven't really followed his recruitment, but I always thought it was a lost cause. Last I checked, he was a southern kid with just about every southern school in on him. I don't know, I just assumed we didn't have much of a chance.

Even just the thought of Gesell, Gaines, Abrahamson, Myer, and Woodbury seems unreal...probably too much so haha

Well, no Abrahamson, no Gaines...Gesell is a pretty big piece to the puzzle for the future of Iowa basketball. I agree with the addition of Gesell, it is a good selling point for high quality big guys to come to Iowa. One player that I see nothing about and I don't know if Iowa is looking at him is Wesley Staten...what is the deal with this kid? Everything I read about him makes me think he would be a good addition to the program, but are there issues with him?
I think getting Ingram and Woodbury would give Iowa its best class in a decade, the big guys would be better than any Iowa has had for some time and Gesell has a chance to be better than Horner.
Get Ingram/Woodbury early enough and Fran could focus on the 2013 kids immediately and try and lock up a couple right away.
Iowa is looking at another PG Anthony Clemmens from Lansing, MI...maybe a nice addition to have a solid backup PG to go with Gesell. Still, it would surprise me to see Iowa fill more than four of the scholarships, but it isn't out of the question. The question will be if Iowa lands Ingram, is Fran content to have the backup PG duties go to Marble? The backup PG situation would still be a little scary, but to have your only option at PG a freshman can be a little scary too.

I am an original Sioux Cityan and to be honest I think the Gesell commitment is the biggest one out of the Sioux City area. Staten can play but one can only wonder about a kid that can't stay at one school. Woodbury is huge and can probably be developed by a good low post coach. I did see him get pushed around by 6"4 defenders. Also seems to fade away constantly. At seven foot I never saw a dunk. Think his lack of size and explosiveness would be exposed in the Big Ten.

Woodbury is huge and can probably be developed by a good low post coach. I did see him get pushed around by 6"4 defenders. Also seems to fade away constantly. At seven foot I never saw a dunk. Think his lack of size and explosiveness would be exposed in the Big Ten.

Huh? Here he is playing against the best HS players in the country at the LeBron Skills Camp. Doesn't look to be getting pushed around here, and seems to go to the hoop fairly effectively. I also doubt he'd be picked as MVP of the NBPA Top 100 camp if he played the way you describe.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzfwTyuOp1k]Adam Woodbury Highlights from the 2011 LeBron James Skills Academy - Class of 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

I will admit in those highlights he looks like a totally different player. I watched him play a couple of times this last year and was not that impressed. If he could come to Iowa and play like this it would be great for the program. When I watched him against lesser competition I expected him to take over games offensively. On defense he is a game changer at any time with his shot blocking and rebounding abilities. As an East High alumni myself I wish the best for him.

By all accounts, with the exception of that last tournament, Woodbury more than held his own against some of the best prep talent in the country. That's good enough for me. C'mon Adam, we need you as a Hawkeye!

In the highlight video, I really like Adam's jump hook close to the basket, no hesitation at all in taking the shot, and it is a very difficult shot to block. He seems to have good passing skills. When saying my prayers at night, I always ask the Lord to please make Adam a Hawkeye.

I think another domino falls as early as this week with Pat Ingram scheduled to visit. He wanted the Iowa offer and has all but said he wants to play here. I expect Woodbury to wait until the November signing period to announce but I think we have him onboard. So that would leave two remaining and I also expect us to bank one but probably not both depending on who we can sign. I haven't read much about the point guard from Michigan but that seems like the most logical place to use that fifth scholarship. Fran has seemed interested in signing a wing forward but that can wait until May graduates when we may very well have two scholarships to give.