Miller & Deace Podcast: Deace Thinks Iowa Can Go Undefeated

Very good podcast. Dace was informative, entertaining and not nearly as annoying as in the past (not because of his views on Iowa) just his tone I think.

I love the "Iowa always improves as the season progresses" angle. Don't most teams? Isn't that the idea? I think that's another way of saying "Iowa often starts slow" or "lets an early game get away from them".

I can't see us losing to the clownz unless we completely vomit (which has happened before in this game). I agree that Pitt looks to be the early landmine.

I miss the good ole days when they were on the radio together. KXNO in the afternoons used to be awesome. I think they were on between 4-6 pm. I wasn't up early enough in the mornings when they had their morning show. I'd rarely caught them on then. I doubt whoever or whatever KXNO has going on now is half as good as it was back then. It was so funny how they would get to laughing about something and just absolutely lose it and when they tried talking again and you couldn't understand what they were saying. Some probably thought that was terrible radio I found it just plain awesome.

I love the "Iowa always improves as the season progresses" angle. Don't most teams? Isn't that the idea? I think that's another way of saying "Iowa often starts slow" or "lets an early game get away from them".

I can't see us losing to the clownz unless we completely vomit (which has happened before in this game). I agree that Pitt looks to be the early landmine.

Iowa takes 2 and 3 star talents and the coaches develop them into NFL players....Other schools get the 4 and 5 star talent but they do not improve....Granted they are better players from the beginning and might have peaked sooner or don't have as much room to improve.

Regardless of what the mags or other media predict I think most Iowa fans are expecting a better record this upcoming season vs. last year based purely on the schedule. It's an "opportunity year" to regain some lost momentum that has occurred in the last several years. The stars are aligned in our favor on several fronts to make some noise.

Anybody know Ferentz's win percentage in conference games at Iowa when the Hawks are favored? Would be interesting to pair that number up against his overall conference win percentage. I'm under the impression it hasn't been overly impressive when we're pegged as the favorite.

I think even with strength in the trenches, depth at RB, improvement at WR, and more experience at QB that we're still primarily a field position team that will count on the kicking game to make the difference in many games. Hope our kickers (new and old) are up to the task.

I agree, as the season progresses I think most teams continue to improve.

Iowa takes 2 and 3 star talents and the coaches develop them into NFL players....Other schools get the 4 and 5 star talent but they do not improve....Granted they are better players from the beginning and might have peaked sooner or don't have as much room to improve.

Iowa isn't the only program in the country developing 2 and 3 star talent, it is happening everywhere! :)

This is the 2014 NFL draft by there star rank coming out of HS for just the first round..

Here are the picks broken down by star ranking:

• Five-stars: 4 (12.5%)
  • Four-stars: 13 (40.6%)
  • Three-stars: 12 (37.5%)
  • Two-stars: 3 (9.4%)

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2014/2014-nfl-draft-picks-ranked-as-recruits/

Last edited:
I know Deace considers himself to be smarter than the average clone, but listening him defend his admiration for the job Rhoads has done belies any true football intelligence.

Loved the gen. Mcbrag

for those who don't know

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q4roxM8hUMk[/video]

Getting through the season undefeated seems rather unlikely. In fantasy land you get to play your starters every game. Most real seasons will test the depth chart a bit. I’m afraid any evaluation of depth, and how vulnerable the Hawkeye’s are to injury, uncovers some serious shortcomings. Quinton Alston stepping in and doing a good job at middle linebacker is imperative. Injuries at any of the inexperienced linebacker positions would quickly become a major problem. Brandon Scherff at offensive tackle is pretty much indispensable. Loss of a starting quarterback will typically lose you a few games even with some talent at backup. A loss of either Carl Davis anchoring the defensive line, or Desmond King at corner might be survivable but probably relegates their respective units to mediocrity. There’s some depth at other positions, RB, FB, TE, interior offensive line, interior defensive line all seem to be well stocked.

I am optimistic, however I have 0 faith in Greg Derpvis. Iowa will lose at least 2 games they shouldn't.

Lemme think off the top of my head here on a few of these. 2006 - Ran through September, including road win at Syracuse. Beat Illinois to open Big Ten season. Got trucked by OSU the next week. Throttled Purdue the following week and didn't win another conference game the rest of the year. Tate was dinged, though. Tate was better for the bowl game and Andy Brodell kept us in that thing. A freshman Colt McCoy prevailed at the end of the day, however.

2007 - The Fat Cat team. Stunk most of the year. Got rolled by Western Michigan on Senior Day to mercifully end the season without a bowl game. Sports Information Department changed "consecutive bowl games" to "consecutive years of bowl eligibility" to put a little shine on that turd.

2010 - Team started 5-1 and melted following the fake punt Wisconsin ran. Pounded MSU (keeping them from the Rose Bowl) and looked like they regained their swagger. Then, proceeded to nearly lose to Indiana the following week before conceding 3 consecutive losses to Northwestern, OSU (in a game where we actually looked decent) and Minnesota. Did rally for a nice bowl game win, though.

2012 - I have tried to repress this one, but I think we lost 5 or 6 in a row in conference play.

Moral of the story - some years, the team has clearly shown major incremental improvement every week. 2002, 2004, 2008 and 2009 come to mind in this regard. But for each of those years, there are an equal number of years where the team pretty much collapses or doesn't really get any better.

To be fair, in 06' Iowa had no business playing Texas and made a heck of a game out of it.
That 2010 Minnie game was absurd. They dominated the entire game, and still found a way to lose. Luckily for us the staff now won't allow things like that to happen again right?? I think the Hawks had something like 250 yards rushing in that Minnie game. It's still so baffling how they lost.

I actually think most of KF teams do get better though. The staff has always done a pretty damn good job of developing players. I think the new staff has done an excellent job so far. Granted we really only have one season to go off of, but still it was definitely a solid year that got the train on the tracks again. The 08' team was probably the best example though. I still stand by that was the best Iowa team in the KF era at the end of the year. Greene coming back the next year is probably the biggest what if in Hawkeye history.

I do want to take a look at two factors though. In those 4 years did the team have a solid leader on both sides of the ball, and how was the play in the trenches? I know that the lines were relatively weak in most of those years.. Which we know is pretty much the staple for good KF teams. How about the leaders? I think back to when King left on defense. I feel like they never managed to find a replacement for his leadership until last year. The 2010 team you could definitely see King was missing that's for sure.

07' is the only real anomaly for me. The criminals.. The stand.. The hype surrounding that tOSU game. What a bizarre year. At least they pulled in a pretty good recruiting class.

To be fair, in 06' Iowa had no business playing Texas and made a heck of a game out of it.
That 2010 Minnie game was absurd. They dominated the entire game, and still found a way to lose. Luckily for us the staff now won't allow things like that to happen again right?? I think the Hawks had something like 250 yards rushing in that Minnie game. It's still so baffling how they lost.

You are confused on the years - 2010 Iowa played uninspired losing to a very bad (also by then fired Tim Brewster) Gopher team. And yes Coker had over 250 yards rushing in that 2011 game but alas when Old Country Jerr called for that on-side kick with eight minutes left to set up their last TD for a one point win it was one damn frustrating loss.

Last edited:

I actually think most of KF teams do get better though. The staff has always done a pretty damn good job of developing players. I think the new staff has done an excellent job so far. Granted we really only have one season to go off of, but still it was definitely a solid year that got the train on the tracks again. The 08' team was probably the best example though. I still stand by that was the best Iowa team in the KF era at the end of the year. Greene coming back the next year is probably the biggest what if in Hawkeye history.

I do want to take a look at two factors though. In those 4 years did the team have a solid leader on both sides of the ball, and how was the play in the trenches? I know that the lines were relatively weak in most of those years.. Which we know is pretty much the staple for good KF teams. How about the leaders? I think back to when King left on defense. I feel like they never managed to find a replacement for his leadership until last year. The 2010 team you could definitely see King was missing that's for sure.

07' is the only real anomaly for me. The criminals.. The stand.. The hype surrounding that tOSU game. What a bizarre year. At least they pulled in a pretty good recruiting class.

In terms of improving as the season goes, throw bowl games out the window. It's well established that Iowa's coaching staff, especially when Norm was around, was stellar at bowl prep. To use the 2006 season as an example: that team did not get better as the year went along. They played a great bowl game, but they did anything but steadily improve week-to-week. Getting steadily better is what is typically implied when someone says a team gets better as the season goes along. Not sputtering for two months before pulling things back together for one game.

2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009 and 2013 are all years that the team steadily improved as the season progressed. Some of them more so than others, but they were all better teams in November than they were in August/September. 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011 and 2012 weren't. Some of those teams started hot and regressed, others just stayed pretty stagnant throughout the year (2011 and 2012 both fit that description.

You can point out that the teams people first point to as a counterargument lacked leadership and/or strong line play, but the reasons for lack of improvement is irrelevant. That's not what's being discussed.

The bottom line is that in 8 of KF's seasons, the team has made steady progress throughout the season. In 6 of them, it hasn't. I didn't count 1999, because I'm not old enough to remember that team (they were at such a low starting point, I could see them going either way). But looking at the years the team did improve, you see a 5/6-year run at the start of KF's tenure, and then just three seasons like that since. Personally, I think it's pretty clear that people started saying "KF's teams always improve" about 10 or so years ago, because up to that point, they had. But the sentiment has stuck around when it has long since stopped being true.

Kirk is absolutely a good football coach, IMO. But it hasn't been a given that the team will improve throughout the year for a long time.

You are confused on the years - 2010 Iowa played uninspired losing to a very bad (also by then fired Tim Brewster) Gopher team. And yes Coker had over 250 yards rushing in that 2011 game but alas when Old Country Jerr called for that on-side kick with eight minutes left to set up their last TD for a one point win it was one damn frustrating loss.
That wasn't even Jerry, it was a fill-in interim coach if I remember correctly. Travesty of a game.

and wasn't that the game on the weekend of coker's bad decision? the one that led him down the 'stony brooke'.......

bad weekend all around.

You are correct whatever went down at Coker's residence (and lead to his suspension) happened on the night before the bus left for Minny. As far as it being an intern who coached the game it was Ol Country Jerr as per Jerr's Wiki page - "A highlight of the 2011 season was a win over Big Ten rival Iowa"