Miller & Deace Podcast: Deace Thinks Iowa Can Go Undefeated

Every game on our schedule is winnable, but I've seen enough over the years to know that KF's Iowa teams usually tend to drop a game or two that it probably shouldn't.. Especially in September.

The Pitt game is the first real land mine, in my book. Get past that one, and I like our odds of making an undefeated run fairly deep into the season, but that is exactly the type of game in which Iowa usually stubs its toe.

Every game on our schedule is winnable, but I've seen enough over the years to know that KF's Iowa teams usually tend to drop a game or two that it probably shouldn't.. Especially in September.

The Pitt game is the first real land mine, in my book. Get past that one, and I like our odds of making an undefeated run fairly deep into the season, but that is exactly the type of game in which Iowa usually stubs its toe.

Iowa always improves from game to game so it is nice to have Nebby and Wisky at the end of the schedule. @Pitt is going to be the biggest hurdle since it is an early road game....UNI and ISU should be a double digit wins....Once conference season starts up they should be ready to go for the low tier conference teams. A division title is definitely realistic since directional Michigan is off the schedule. Indiana is probably the game to worry about under performing...The Hoosiers can score

2522330-were-doomed.jpg

Iowa always improves from game to game so it is nice to have Nebby and Wisky at the end of the schedule. @Pitt is going to be the biggest hurdle since it is an early road game....UNI and ISU should be a double digit wins....Once conference season starts up they should be ready to go for the low tier conference teams. A division title is definitely realistic since directional Michigan is off the schedule. Indiana is probably the game to worry about under performing...The Hoosiers can score

Always improves from game to game? Were you a fan in 2006? 2007? 2010? 2012?

Do we get to count ties as wins, like the troll does? So, if we are tied at the end of regulation, its a win?

Always improves from game to game? Were you a fan in 2006? 2007? 2010? 2012?

too lazy to look up the injuries and schedules. I do remember they beat Mizzo in the bowl game in 2010. I would consider that improving since Mizzou should have won easy. 2012 was a mess but they had less talent and new coordinators to adjust to. 2012 is more of an exception than anything else to the norm.

too lazy to look up the injuries and schedules. I do remember they beat Mizzo in the bowl game in 2010. I would consider that improving since Mizzou should have won easy. 2012 was a mess but they had less talent and new coordinators to adjust to. 2012 is more of an exception than anything else to the norm.

Lemme think off the top of my head here on a few of these. 2006 - Ran through September, including road win at Syracuse. Beat Illinois to open Big Ten season. Got trucked by OSU the next week. Throttled Purdue the following week and didn't win another conference game the rest of the year. Tate was dinged, though. Tate was better for the bowl game and Andy Brodell kept us in that thing. A freshman Colt McCoy prevailed at the end of the day, however.

2007 - The Fat Cat team. Stunk most of the year. Got rolled by Western Michigan on Senior Day to mercifully end the season without a bowl game. Sports Information Department changed "consecutive bowl games" to "consecutive years of bowl eligibility" to put a little shine on that turd.

2010 - Team started 5-1 and melted following the fake punt Wisconsin ran. Pounded MSU (keeping them from the Rose Bowl) and looked like they regained their swagger. Then, proceeded to nearly lose to Indiana the following week before conceding 3 consecutive losses to Northwestern, OSU (in a game where we actually looked decent) and Minnesota. Did rally for a nice bowl game win, though.

2012 - I have tried to repress this one, but I think we lost 5 or 6 in a row in conference play.

Moral of the story - some years, the team has clearly shown major incremental improvement every week. 2002, 2004, 2008 and 2009 come to mind in this regard. But for each of those years, there are an equal number of years where the team pretty much collapses or doesn't really get any better.

Lemme think off the top of my head here on a few of these. 2006 - Ran through September, including road win at Syracuse. Beat Illinois to open Big Ten season. Got trucked by OSU the next week. Throttled Purdue the following week and didn't win another conference game the rest of the year. Tate was dinged, though. Tate was better for the bowl game and Andy Brodell kept us in that thing. A freshman Colt McCoy prevailed at the end of the day, however.

2007 - The Fat Cat team. Stunk most of the year. Got rolled by Western Michigan on Senior Day to mercifully end the season without a bowl game. Sports Information Department changed "consecutive bowl games" to "consecutive years of bowl eligibility" to put a little shine on that turd.

2010 - Team started 5-1 and melted following the fake punt Wisconsin ran. Pounded MSU (keeping them from the Rose Bowl) and looked like they regained their swagger. Then, proceeded to nearly lose to Indiana the following week before conceding 3 consecutive losses to Northwestern, OSU (in a game where we actually looked decent) and Minnesota. Did rally for a nice bowl game win, though.

2012 - I have tried to repress this one, but I think we lost 5 or 6 in a row in conference play.

Moral of the story - some years, the team has clearly shown major incremental improvement every week. 2002, 2004, 2008 and 2009 come to mind in this regard. But for each of those years, there are an equal number of years where the team pretty much collapses or doesn't really get any better.

2006 was the Fat Cat team; they sat back and enjoyed all the hype but didn't back it up. The 2007 team was just bad. Not 2012 bad, but bad. Poor QB play, not much in the receiving/TE corps (pretty much just Myers and Douglass; oh, and Higby). Average defense, and horrendous place kicking (that was the year of Signor/Murray, right?).

But overall, this post hit the nail on the head. The team typically gets better every week in the years we have a good team. The years we don't get better as the season goes, we typically don't have a very good team.

Other than 02 and 06 the ISU game will be an indicator of how the season will go. If ISU can exploit Iowas' weaknesses it means that there are 6 or 7 teams remaining on the schedule that can do the same.

Deace is just saying that to try and get Iowa fans on board so he can laugh at them when we don't go undefeated. Sorry Deacer, i don't play those reindeer games...

Latest posts