Miller and Deace buried the Iowa program,

With this schedule 9 win is like 6 wins with a moderately difficult schedule. So no, it's not enough. Especially when your wins are last second comebacks against an FCS school, one of the worst FBS teams in all of college football and an F'n loss to a pathetic in-state rival at home.

Well then how about 9 wins and Bowl win. That double didget

Another really tough, brutal podcast. I don't strongly disagree with anything being said by Mr. Miller and the always concise Mr. Deace, but why is it being said now? Why is it being put in the public domain, now???? Don't recruits listen and read this stuff?????

Can't we wait until the end of the season and THEN evaluate the Iowa coaching staff? Where is the loyalty after 16 years?

I don't understand the motivation here to just completely dump on a 5-2 team with 5 big games left. I just don't get it....

Jon, I'm glad you weren't doing podcasts doing the Revolutionary War. We would have given up and let the British win, based on the early mistakes being made by General Washington. Or the Civil War, after we lost at Chancellorsville. You would have fired Abraham Lincoln and surrendered to the South. Or World War II, after McArthur surrendered the Phillipines to the Japanese. You would have fired FDR!!!

I know Iowa football doesn't come remotely close to the importance associated with war, but to read this board the last 2 weeks, you would think the world was coming to an end.

Everyone needs to relax and let the rest of the season play out.

this post has such immense logical flaws that I won't even try...

I will join Eda and wait. After all, last year at this point we were 4-3 and ended up going 4-1 in our last five games and qualified for the Outback Bowl. Under Ferentz, Iowa has historically started slow and improved every week. If I "choose to ignore and deny" historical evidence, then I'm truly lying to myself (as you put it).

I hope you're right. I used to say the same thing. However Iowa is 12-18 in November games since 2006, the first year Iowa really started to feel the effects of Bret Bielema's recruiting being absent. 2007, 2008, & 2013 were the only times Iowa has had a winning record in November in that span.

In this case I think it would be best to ignore historical evidence. Because that evidence points to a probable poor ending for this team.

Correct.

It is not unlike right wing talk radio....stir the pot, get the listeners riled up, and cash in ....Deace knows that game well.

Nope. I detest that. There was no plan at all to hit on all these topics. What we do, it just happens. Sometimes that makes it great. Sometimes not. But it's how we prefer it. I had planned on 10 minutes Iowa and then big ten and national.

I wouldn't say buried. There are aspects and issues that are certainly troubling, but there and few, if any, that can’t be righted.

But the data that Morehouse and Dochterman brought up the other day about how many weeks it had been since Iowa was ranked in the AP Poll, and how that is approaching the longest drought since the end of the Fry era to the middle of the 2002 season.so this is the second longest drought since the 1970’s. I mean, the data sort of speaks for itself when you bring it all to light, does it not? Iowa is 17-18 in Big Ten play since the start of 2010. Since losing to Wisconsin at home in 2010, Iowa is 12-12 in Kinnick against FBS opponents. All of this with one of the Top 12 most profitable athletic departments in FBS and a football program that is among the most profitable in the land. The results have been lacking.

au contraire... from an A.D. and UoI President's perspective the results have been stellar.

Anyone who doesn't think the bottom line is money... not W/L record... is more naive than they should be.

But you are feeding the Beast. On one hand your just doing your job. on the other your beating the golden goose. One thing I have always admire about you is you figured out how to make a living out of being a Hawk Fan. What a Great Gig. More power to You

He's not feeding the beast at all. He's simply telling the truth. Try it. It will set you free.

Based on the Sagrin rankings, of the power 5 conferences only Minnesota ranks lower then Iowa as far as teams with the fewest losses go. In other words, at 5-2 Iowa is one of the least impressive teams when it comes to the computers, writers and coaches who do the rankings.

Reality is reality and it was another good podcast. Bottom line is we have not cracked the top 25 in a long, long time by our standards. What more evidence does anyone need to say hey there might be a problem here?

The issue I have is there appears to be no sense of urgency to get better and take advantage of opportunities. It seems like we are acting out KF's fantasy land dreams of being a drab NFL franchise.

KF was set up to fail with this schedule....he had to go perfect to satisfy his critics...otherwise, he is a failure again.

Give me a break. If the schedule was tough we'd have to lay off (Cyclown style) cuz "we all knew it would be a steep challenge"... Since the schedule is weak though, we have to lay off cuz its " peoples unreasonable expectation of perfection". Basically you can't criticize the fat cat for anything cuz nothing is his fault. Enjoy your mediocrity!

... I'm not saying this is a reason we should keep Kirk. I'm just saying replacing him is a lot like playing Russian Roulette. Could be good. Could be bad. The program could survive to move forward and accomplish the things we all expect them to. Or it could slide back and become a bottom feeder. I really don't know what the right answer is. Personally, I think the less amount of change the better. Greg Davis has got to go and hiring an exciting offensive coordinator would be a big step.

I've never seen a one sided coin - have you? By not replacing him - here comes the mirror. Could be good. Could bad. The program could survive to move forward and accomplish the things we all expect them to. Or it could slide back and become a bottom feeder.

I wouldn't say buried. There are aspects and issues that are certainly troubling, but there and few, if any, that can’t be righted.

But the data that Morehouse and Dochterman brought up the other day about how many weeks it had been since Iowa was ranked in the AP Poll, and how that is approaching the longest drought since the end of the Fry era to the middle of the 2002 season.so this is the second longest drought since the 1970’s. I mean, the data sort of speaks for itself when you bring it all to light, does it not? Iowa is 17-18 in Big Ten play since the start of 2010. Since losing to Wisconsin at home in 2010, Iowa is 12-12 in Kinnick against FBS opponents. All of this with one of the Top 12 most profitable athletic departments in FBS and a football program that is among the most profitable in the land. The results have been lacking.

And people seriously have the nerve to compare this to Tom Davis as some sort of cautionary tale.

Please.

This isn't Tom Davis it's Alford. Pure Mediocraty.

There is very little danger in letting in letting KF go because any coach could achieve these results against the low level of completion that the big has sunk to.

The upside far out weighs the risk of firing Kirk at this point.

Nope. I detest that. There was no plan at all to hit on all these topics. What we do, it just happens. Sometimes that makes it great. Sometimes not. But it's how we prefer it. I had planned on 10 minutes Iowa and then big ten and national.

Two things:

1 - Miller criticizes the program a bit (for good and logical reasons) and all the sudden so many sad and angry faces towards miller. If anything Miller has been beyond patient and apologetic towards the program.
2- No way I ever think that Miller is just "saying things" in the shock jock method. I don't believe that for a second, even though I haven't agreed with some of Jon's ideas in the past.

Which coaches? You mean, the next "Football Jesus" that was Will Muschamp? Or the next "Offensive Football Savant" that was supposed to be Lane Kiffin? Or, on the flipside, Pete Carroll was darn near all but washed up in the NFL and gets lucky with the USC job, and absolutely kills it.

The problem is....it's a crap shoot more than half the time. Some programs get it wrong and then don't ever get it right again.

I think you make really good points here. As another poster said, it's a slippery slope in either direction. KF may very well need to go. Let's see how this season pans out. If this season (with a favorable schedule) goes down the drain, I say it's time to get rid of him. Having said that, I'm not praying for the next Kiffin, Muschamp, RichRod, Hoke, Kiffin, or even Urban Myer to save Iowa.

Iowa may not get out of this forest easily either way. Tomdavis.

I just can't comprehend this "lemming" mentality. You acknowledge the evidence but are so blinded by hope and devotion (to KirkFer? Iowa football? I have no clue), that you refuse to accept the reality of the most probable outcome. I've got to dig out my abnormal psych and sociology books because, while it sounds like a frighteningly futile state of mind, I'm both dumbfounded and fascinated by it.

We all support the players, individually and collectively, by virtue of our desire to see them perform at a respectably competitive level, on par with their abilities and talents, and, hopefully, achieve victory. It's not their fault they are
handicapped in their mission and we DO NOT blame them for it.

However, I will assure you of this, they know the truths; one of them is that, as much noise as you think they hear from us, they know that much of the legitimate reason for and source of the loudest noise is their coaches. In fact, those coaches are creating their own "noise" through their decisions and strategies. To believe otherwise is just as naive of you and, imo, even more belittling of those players' intelligence and talents.

Feel free to wait, Eda, but I will guarantee you this ... You aren't going to turn Rain Man into a rocket scientist just because the calendar turns to December. It's gonna be the same in a month as it is now. You choosing to ignore and deny it ... talk about lying to yourself.

tl;dr

Two things:

1 - Miller criticizes the program a bit (for good and logical reasons) and all the sudden so many sad and angry faces towards miller. If anything Miller has been beyond patient and apologetic towards the program.
2- No way I ever think that Miller is just "saying things" in the shock jock method. I don't believe that for a second, even though I haven't agreed with some of Jon's ideas in the past.

Game changing recruiting feature tho.

Latest posts