Meanwhile in Ames...

Iowa State hasn't beaten a team with a pulse this year and got lit up by Milwaukee at Hilton. I have zero confidence in Iowa basketball right now but they're more than capable of beating ISU on Thursday. They're not good either. Neither team is making the dance this year.
ISU was missing key players that game. I don’t think they are that good, probably NIT level, but I don’t know that I would pick Iowa to beat DMACC right now.

Iowa State hasn't beaten a team with a pulse this year and got lit up by Milwaukee at Hilton. I have zero confidence in Iowa basketball right now but they're more than capable of beating ISU on Thursday. They're not good either. Neither team is making the dance this year.

The Milwaukee game was a disaster, but since then they have switched Weiler-Babb to PG which has been a resounding success, got Lard back from suspension who is probably one of the 4 best players on the team, and added Brase from injury who is a leadership cog and helps stretch the floor. ISU is still probably the 8th or 9th best team in the Big 12 but they don't even resemble the team that played Milwaukee.

Reactions: ISC
We just keep regressing really. The high point was the Aaron White team, since then we took a step back, then two steps back, and now we are in the fetal position.

When the 14'-15' Aaron White team was 15-10 I remember vividly saying on here that if Fran pissed that team down his leg he should be fired. I got A LOT of crap for that, and a lot of push back. Iowa went on a to win 6 in a row to make the NCAA tournament. Looking back on it now, I'm even more pissed that we wasted the great talent on that team. We had 3 eventual freaking 1st team All B1G players on it, and we can't get past the 2nd round? 3 Bigs who could defend (Woody, White, Uthoff), we had an elite SG and we had a PG who could at least defend. No excuse to not be a top 4 seed and get to the sweet 16 with that kind of squad.

Yeah looking back, you guys sure had some talent on those teams. Reminds me a little bit of some of the McDermott years at ISU, he had some NBAers and couldn't do much with them.

Is this the least anticipated Iowa / Iowa State game in a long time? Sure seems like it to me.

Yeah sadly it was only a couple years ago we had a ranked matchup and some great games were played. Long season though, it'll be interested to see how the teams finish up.

The Milwaukee game was a disaster, but since then they have switched Weiler-Babb to PG which has been a resounding success, got Lard back from suspension who is probably one of the 4 best players on the team, and added Brase from injury who is a leadership cog and helps stretch the floor. ISU is still probably the 8th or 9th best team in the Big 12 but they don't even resemble the team that played Milwaukee.

Still, that by no means makes up for an 18 point loss at home to Milwaukee. A Milwaukee team that lost by 14 to D2 school, Concordia University St. Paul. ISU hasn't lost since this game, but they also haven't beaten anybody, and have played bad teams close. Appalacian State, Tulsa, and Boise State all could have been losses and they were trailing Northern Illinois at halftime last night. To say they have things figured out is an overstatement.

Still, that by no means makes up for an 18 point loss at home to Milwaukee. A Milwaukee team that lost by 14 to D2 school, Concordia University St. Paul. ISU hasn't lost since this game, but they also haven't beaten anybody, and have played bad teams close. Appalacian State, Tulsa, and Boise State all could have been losses and they were trailing Northern Illinois at halftime last night. To say they have things figured out is an overstatement.

No one is saying ISU has it together. However, they're good enough that one or two good stretches can beat these teams. They'll get carved up if they can't play more consistent though. I would add Boise State decent this year. They have a nice win at Oregon on their resume.

Reactions: ISC
You don't make up for bad losses. You move on and improve. ISU has done that. They aren't world beaters but would beat Milwaukee now. Nobody is saying they are a great team. They have a lot to improve on but at least they have made improvement. Some teams haven't.

I never said it made up for anything. I'm saying the team that will play Iowa will be a much different team than the one that played Milwaukee and that's true. Again, I've said it a ton on here, I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa won at all. We all thought ISU was going to win last year too. However Iowa is 0-5 against RPI top 200 teams and it's a game in Hilton. ISU fans should be pissed if they lose on Thursday.

No one is saying ISU has it together. However, they're good enough that one or two good stretches can beat these teams. They'll get carved up if they can't play more consistent though. I would add Boise State decent this year. They have a nice win at Oregon on their resume.

FWIW Boise State was missing their best player against ISU

I will say I’d be very disappointed if Iowa State loses to Iowa this year but not surprised. Iowa State doesn’t play great D either.

Level headed, realistic thinking posts like this make hate Iowa State much harder.....

He played 8 minutes... I know we're just arguing semantics but i'd hardly quantify 1/5 of the game as 'part of the game'

Technically playing 1 second is still part of the game.

Obviously, he wasn't a huge factor in the game, but still played in it. ISU can't control who is able to play or not play for Boise St. I'll still take the win and it'll still help their SOS/RPI.

Latest posts