McCall could be back this year

Haha, priceless! You call him "retarded" and don't even use the right form of YOU'RE. Who's really the dumba$$?

Ok spelling nazi. Everybody knows I am retarded. But I can count tooth picks, am an excellent driver and I dang sure got a better grip on this situation then some people do.

Last edited:
He did not say "probably", he said "maybe", and he is not the doctor.
We are obviously debating a hypothetical situation since nobody knows for sure if McCall will be able to come back by the end of the season. All I'm saying is IF he is medically cleared to play (even if it wouldn't be in the best interests of Iowa or McCall), McCall cannot get a medical hardship from the NCAA.

We are obviously debating a hypothetical situation since nobody knows for sure if McCall will be able to come back by the end of the season. All I'm saying is IF he is medically cleared to play (even if it wouldn't be in the best interests of Iowa or McCall), McCall cannot get a medical hardship from the NCAA.

And all I am saying is if he applies for medical rs, he will get it, because the ncaa's doctors will go by a book that says this injury could take up to 6 or more months to heal, meaning he could be out for the season.

Terrell Owens played in the Super Bowl 6 weeks after breaking his leg and damaging ligaments in his ankle. I don't think it's out of the question that McCall could play this season. In fact, after it was announced during the game that it was a broken leg, not a knee, I told my buddy it was a good thing cuz he might be able to come back this year.

And all I am saying is if he applies for medical rs, he will get it, because the ncaa's doctors will go by a book that says this injury could take up to 6 or more months to heal, meaning he could be out for the season.

I agree. I really don't think the NCAA would overrule the team doctors here. When it comes to ankle injuries, there are a lot of grey areas as far as how they heal. Plus, it will take longer for a RB to be game ready than, say, a QB because of the sheer number and sharpness of cuts they have to make. The simple fact is McCall has to feel 100% in order to be cleared to play, so if he doesn't (maybe with a little coaxing by the coaching staff), then the team doctors don't clear him. I highly doubt the NCAA will disagree with them, especially if the end of the season falls well within the parameters of the down time for an ankle injury such as this.

Besides, just watching the injury on tape would make most people believe he is done for the year. Brutal.

If he can come back and play meaningful minutes. I would welcome him back this year. Its not like we have a great track record for quality running backs sticking around for 4/5 years anyway.......

It's pretty silly to think that the NCAA would over rule team doctors if they hold him out. It would set a bad precedence. This isn't the NFL here, the NFL is about money and winning now. College (at least to some degree) still looks out for the best interest of the athletes.

There are a lot of things that don't show on X-rays and can only come from the athlete. Pain, flexibility, strength, explosiveness, speed are all things a RB needs to perform and none of these show up on X-rays or MRI's.

Terrell Owens played in the Super Bowl 6 weeks after breaking his leg and damaging ligaments in his ankle. I don't think it's out of the question that McCall could play this season. In fact, after it was announced during the game that it was a broken leg, not a knee, I told my buddy it was a good thing cuz he might be able to come back this year.

1. That was T.O., who is one of the most freakish athletes of all time.
2. That was to play in the Super Bowl, the only one he's ever played in. I'd try to play if you cut my legs OFF. To catch the last couple games of my freshman year? That's not as big of a deal.

It's pretty silly to think that the NCAA would over rule team doctors if they hold him out. It would set a bad precedence. This isn't the NFL here, the NFL is about money and winning now. College (at least to some degree) still looks out for the best interest of the athletes.

There are a lot of things that don't show on X-rays and can only come from the athlete. Pain, flexibility, strength, explosiveness, speed are all things a RB needs to perform and none of these show up on X-rays or MRI's.

But then again, if it were only left up to team doctors, every team in this situation could just say that the athlete can't go (even if he could for the last couple games), and take the waiver. That's an equally bad precedent.

But then again, if it were only left up to team doctors, every team in this situation could just say that the athlete can't go (even if he could for the last couple games), and take the waiver. That's an equally bad precedent.

It's all about common sense. Is it reasonable to assume that the injury (A broken ankle) would take a player 4+ months to fully recover from (including rehab)?

It's all about common sense. Is it reasonable to assume that the injury (A broken ankle) would take a player 4+ months to fully recover from (including rehab)?

It depends how serious the break is. When I broke my ankle, I was practicing (no contact) after 4 weeks, and playing after 6 weeks. But it wasn't a very bad break at all, I just broke my fibula right at the end of the bone. McCall's is probably a little higher than that, but that's the kind of thing that the NCAA would know, as well.

I don't care for it any more than you do. It's just another one of those deals where the NCAA is avoiding opening a whole other can of worms.

Latest posts