McCall could be back this year

Do we know the kind of or severity of the break?

Best guess by him, saying he could be back this year and by KF saying the same thing, is it wasnt very bad. Who knows, if they rs him or not doesnt mean anything about how bad it is. I mean yeah he might be ready for Nebby, but at that point dont you just leave the rs on him? Thats what I think they are questioning around here and most likely what the coaches are questioning.

Best guess by him, saying he could be back this year and by KF saying the same thing, is it wasnt very bad. Who knows, if they rs him or not doesnt mean anything about how bad it is. I mean yeah he might be ready for Nebby, but at that point dont you just leave the rs on him? Thats what I think they are questioning around here and most likely what the coaches are questioning.
He already burned his redshirt by playing on Saturday, that ship has sailed. The break must not be very serious if Kirk says he could be back. I don't think Kirk would divulge that information if he didn't think there was a good chance McCall will be back...

He already burned his redshirt by playing on Saturday, that ship has sailed. The break must not be very serious if Kirk says he could be back. I don't think Kirk would divulge that information if he didn't think there was a good chance McCall will be back...

100% chance he would get a medical redshirt. It's a given...no debate. If he can play in two months...it's a depth decision and it means we aren't getting the production out of who we have.

100% chance he would get a medical redshirt. It's a given...no debate. If he can play in two months...it's a depth decision and it means we aren't getting the production out of who we have.

If McCall can play in two months, his chance of a "medical hardship waiver" is zero percent. Read some of the earlier posts.

Exactly and being that close to the end of the season, "a little pain here" would keep in RS. It's up to how fast he heals and at what point he is 100%. If he is 99% or 100% come Nebby time, will be up to him and the coaches (and healing time ofcourse). 99%= RS, 100% means he could play and not use the RS.

> McCall could be back this year

And pigs could fly out of my, well, you know ... I think Jon has this one right: IF everyone else is dinged up and IF Iowa is playing for the division or conference title, yeah, maybe. Lot of ifs, ands or buts there, however.

If McCall can play in two months, his chance of a "medical hardship waiver" is zero percent. Read some of the earlier posts.

They aren't going to clear him to play if we are getting great production out of our tailbacks. I just don't see them clearing him to play unless he is really needed especially if it means he only sees a few more games. They first off don't want to take any chances with him since he's a freshman. Unless he can be ready in 6 weeks, I doubt we see him again.

I was saying if he doesn't play again, he's got 100% chance of a medical redshirt. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

> McCall could be back this year

And pigs could fly out of my, well, you know ... I think Jon has this one right: IF everyone else is dinged up and IF Iowa is playing for the division or conference title, yeah, maybe. Lot of ifs, ands or buts there, however.

The question isn't whether he plays or not, the question is whether the doctors clear him to play. The criteria is that the injury prevents the athlete from playing the rest of the season. Iowa cannot withold McCall & get a "medical hardship waiver."

The question isn't whether he plays or not, the question is whether the doctors clear him to play. The criteria is that the injury prevents the athlete from playing the rest of the season. Iowa cannot withold McCall & get a "medical hardship waiver."

From the link I posted. "Although most people return to normal daily activities, except for sports, within 3 to 4 months, studies have shown that people can still be recovering up to 2 years after their ankle fractures. It may take several months for you to stop limping while you walk, and before you can return to sports at your previous competitive level."

That means that the doctors can NOT clear him pretty much for that amount of time. NOW, the doctors are going to go by how he feels and what the coaches are saying about his performance at practice. SO if he and the coaches feel he should rs for the year, guess what, he is going to rs for the year. What in the heck dont you understand about this????

From the link I posted. "Although most people return to normal daily activities, except for sports, within 3 to 4 months, studies have shown that people can still be recovering up to 2 years after their ankle fractures. It may take several months for you to stop limping while you walk, and before you can return to sports at your previous competitive level."

That means that the doctors can NOT clear him pretty much for that amount of time. NOW, the doctors are going to go by how he feels and what the coaches are saying about his performance at practice. SO if he and the coaches feel he should rs for the year, guess what, he is going to rs for the year. What in the heck dont you understand about this????

Old dude, your browser may be set to "geriatric care". Try top flight 18 year old athletes.

This is straight from the 2011-2012 NCAA Division I manual:
(b) The injury or illness occurs prior to the first competition of the second half of the playing season that concludes
with the NCAA championship in that sport (see Bylaw 14.2.4.3.4) and results in incapacity to compete
for the remainder of that playing season;
(Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01,

4/3/02, 4/24/08)
McCall has used his normal redshirt, and from what Kirk said would not be eligible for a medical hardship...

This is straight from the 2011-2012 NCAA Division I manual:
(b) The injury or illness occurs prior to the first competition of the second half of the playing season that concludes
with the NCAA championship in that sport (see Bylaw 14.2.4.3.4) and results in incapacity to compete

for the remainder of that playing season;
(Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01,
4/3/02, 4/24/08)
McCall has used his normal redshirt, and from what Kirk said would not be eligible for a medical hardship...

It's like I am talking to my brothers kids or something.
I give up.

He can't redshirt. Pursuant to NCAA regulations, in a redshirt year, an athlete may attend classes, practice with the team, and dress for play but the athlete may not compete during a game.

Common belief notwithstanding, NCAA redshirt rules state that any amount of participation in a competition (even one play in a football game) will trigger the use of a season of eligibility, and therefore that athlete may not redshirt that year.

A "medical hardship waiver" (NCAA bylaw 14.2.4) may be granted an athlete who appears in fewer than 30% of the team's games (with none coming after the midway point of the season), then suffers a season-ending injury.

It is important to note that Iowa doesn't make the decision. A formal application has to be submitted to the NCAA through the Big Ten office requesting the waiver together with supporting medical records, MRIs, x-rays, etc. If the decision is denied by the Big Ten office, the denial may be appealed to the NCAA. As a result, the decision is entirely out of Iowa's hands.

He can't redshirt. Pursuant to NCAA regulations, in a redshirt year, an athlete may attend classes, practice with the team, and dress for play but the athlete may not compete during a game.

Common belief notwithstanding, NCAA redshirt rules state that any amount of participation in a competition (even one play in a football game) will trigger the use of a season of eligibility, and therefore that athlete may not redshirt that year.

A "medical hardship waiver" (NCAA bylaw 14.2.4) may be granted an athlete who appears in fewer than 30% of the team's games (with none coming after the midway point of the season), then suffers a season-ending injury.

It is important to note that Iowa doesn't make the decision. A formal application has to be submitted to the NCAA through the Big Ten office requesting the waiver together with supporting medical records, MRIs, x-rays, etc. If the decision is denied by the Big Ten office, the denial may be appealed to the NCAA. As a result, the decision is entirely out of Iowa's hands.

Right. When I say rs, just like others on here and just like early in this thread I meant a medical rs. I mean he got hurt, thats what we are all talking about. Now x-rays and all that being sent out, mean they have a guideline for how long certain injuries should take to heal. LOOK that up. I bet you will find it could be up to a year. BAM he gets his medical rs. Now if he has that and he and the coaches feel he is 100% before then, they go to the docs and say hey put him thru the tests and see if he is 100%, because he says he is and we think he is. They sign off and he can play. If they decide he is not 100%, they (the coaches and him) go to the docs and say, he needs more time, and beleive me the docs know just how much time the B10 and ncaa allow for such an injury. I mean the docs are not going to release him if he himself says no I still have pain or cant make the cuts in practice. Because that would mean he is not 100%.

Last edited:
depending upon the severity of the break, i don't think they have come up with anyway of healing breaks, and the normal time frame for healing is 6-8 weeks and another 4-5 weeks of conditioning to even think of running on it so you are looking at 10-13 weeks of recovery and even then there is no guarentee he will be ready, as my son went thru the same type of injury and he was a senior in HS who played FB, missed his season and part of BB

depending upon the severity of the break, i don't think they have come up with anyway of healing breaks, and the normal time frame for healing is 6-8 weeks and another 4-5 weeks of conditioning to even think of running on it so you are looking at 10-13 weeks of recovery and even then there is no guarentee he will be ready, as my son went thru the same type of injury and he was a senior in HS who played FB, missed his season and part of BB

I guess Ferentz is an idiot & didn't consult the medical staff before making his statement earlier today. He shouldn't be so stupid & make medical diagnoses. Obviously, Ferentz is a buffoon & doesn't know what he is talking about.

I guess Ferentz is an idiot & didn't consult the medical staff before making his statement earlier today. He shouldn't be so stupid & make medical diagnoses. Obviously, Ferentz is a buffoon & doesn't know what he is talking about.

Your retarded. I say good nite to you.

Latest posts