McCall could be back this year

"DEPENDING" on the severity, if it a crack then it a different game altogether, and ther is no guarentee that it will heal quickly, one can only speculate on the avg amount of time it takes to heal, the dr.'s can say one thing but the body can do something else, can't explain it any way else

Jon is right, they won't play him unless doing so means a B1G title or BCS berth. I would doubt we see him, but I guess we've had our share of RB issues in the past.

It's like I am talking to my brothers kids or something.
I give up.
[/LEFT]
Dude, I mean olddude, according to Ferentz McCall will probably be able to come back towards the end of the year. If that is true McCall CANNOT get a medical hardship. To get a medical hardship, McCall would have to prove to the NCAA that it is impossible for him to come back by the end of the season, it has nothing to do with whether or not Iowa WANTS him to come back this year. I don't think the Iowa doctors are going to lie to the NCAA just so McCall can get a redshirt year...

I think it's good news either way.

If McCall can recuperate well enough to theoretically play this year, then (barring another injury) you would have to assume that he will definitely be able to rehab perfectly well for next year. Knowing this, why not give him something to work for and see if he can get back for some late season games? If he doesn't make it, the worst that happens is he narrowly misses the season and ends up taking a medical redshirt. If he gets cleared to play even for the bowl game he can take part in bowl practices and be even more ready for next year. Win win.

Dude, I mean olddude, according to Ferentz McCall will probably be able to come back towards the end of the year. If that is true McCall CANNOT get a medical hardship. To get a medical hardship, McCall would have to prove to the NCAA that it is impossible for him to come back by the end of the season, it has nothing to do with whether or not Iowa WANTS him to come back this year. I don't think the Iowa doctors are going to lie to the NCAA just so McCall can get a redshirt year...

KF is not a doctor. Doesnt matter what he says to the press. That statement by him was only to let us know it was'nt real severe. McCall doesnt need to prove anything. The doctors fill out the paper work and send in the mri's. The ncaa looks in a book and it says "this injury takes _ months to _ months to heal. I would bet the farm the second blank is more than 6 months for sports. Get the picture now?

depending upon the severity of the break, i don't think they have come up with anyway of healing breaks, and the normal time frame for healing is 6-8 weeks and another 4-5 weeks of conditioning to even think of running on it so you are looking at 10-13 weeks of recovery and even then there is no guarentee he will be ready, as my son went thru the same type of injury and he was a senior in HS who played FB, missed his season and part of BB
However, I'm guessing McCall will receive significantly more advanced rehab...

The doctors wouldn't necessarily be lying. The truth is rarely black and white. Given McCall has a broken ankle, it would certainly be reasonable for him to miss the remainder of the year. If Ferentz & Co. are getting along well without McCall, then the odds are fairly strong somebody lets McCall know that the team would like him around for four more years of playing time and a medical redshirt is in his best interest. So he tells the doc he's having ongoing significant pain, weakness and instability. As a result, the doc continues to restrict him from contact and full football activity.

Is it lying? Not really. It's playing the game. Is it that hard to think the docs at the UIHC would be influenced by the football program?

The doctors wouldn't necessarily be lying. The truth is rarely black and white. Given McCall has a broken ankle, it would certainly be reasonable for him to miss the remainder of the year. If Ferentz & Co. are getting along well without McCall, then the odds are fairly strong somebody lets McCall know that the team would like him around for four more years of playing time and a medical redshirt is in his best interest. So he tells the doc he's having ongoing significant pain, weakness and instability. As a result, the doc continues to restrict him from contact and full football activity.

Is it lying? Not really. It's playing the game. Is it that hard to think the docs at the UIHC would be influenced by the football program?

As Columbus already outlined, the NCAA needs all medical records, and they make the medical decision for themselves. It's not up to the doctors here.

I think it's good news either way.

If McCall can recuperate well enough to theoretically play this year, then (barring another injury) you would have to assume that he will definitely be able to rehab perfectly well for next year. Knowing this, why not give him something to work for and see if he can get back for some late season games? If he doesn't make it, the worst that happens is he narrowly misses the season and ends up taking a medical redshirt. If he gets cleared to play even for the bowl game he can take part in bowl practices and be even more ready for next year. Win win.
No way would him coming back for one or two games be good. It would be a wasted year.

As Columbus already outlined, the NCAA needs all medical records, and they make the medical decision for themselves. It's not up to the doctors here.
Yes, it is up to the doctors. If he is not cleared by them, it's pretty simple: he will get a medical redshirt.

Yes, it is up to the doctors. If he is not cleared by them, it's pretty simple: he will get a medical redshirt.

Unless the NCAA determines, by looking at his X-Rays, MRIs, and DR's notes that the DR should have cleared him, in which case they won't grant him the medical hardship and he will only have 3 years of eligibility.

You aren't getting it. The NCAA has their own doctors who will determine whether or not he could have been cleared. Otherwise, there would be no reason to have that stipulation in the rules, as every school would just say "Well, he's just not ready, we can't clear him.".

The team doctors don't have the final say when it comes to the medical hardship. They may not clear McCall to play this year, but if the NCAA's independent analysis concludes that they could have, then he won't get the waiver.

So doctors who haven't seen him all year long can over-rule those who have. Okay, whatever. It would have to be pretty blatant for them to over-rule the staff doctors.

So doctors who haven't seen him all year long can over-rule those who have. Okay, whatever. It would have to be pretty blatant for them to over-rule the staff doctors.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it works. Everything will be in the medical files that the team doctors send the NCAA.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it works. Everything will be in the medical files that the team doctors send the NCAA.

If that's the way it works I'm surprised. I'll defer to those who claim to be in the know. With that said, is it possible for a player to come back if they are not cleared by the NCAA? Say like a T Owens type recovery.

I'm not saying they experienced the same type of injury but some ultra competitive people are willing to try and give something ago even if it might not be in accordance with a dr's wishes.

If that's the way it works I'm surprised. I'll defer to those who claim to be in the know. With that said, is it possible for a player to come back if they are not cleared by the NCAA? Say like a T Owens type recovery.

I'm not saying they experienced the same type of injury but some ultra competitive people are willing to try and give something ago even if it might not be in accordance with a dr's wishes.

That's not what I mean. If the team doctors clear him to play, that's that, and the NCAA doesn't get involved at all. And if we don't file for a medical hardship waiver, the NCAA doesn't get involved.

However, if the team doctors DON'T clear McCall, and he files for the waiver, the NCAA has all of his medical records sent in, and they have their own doctors take a look at them. If they deem that a player could have played, then he won't get the waiver.

If they only left it up to the team doctors, there would be no point in having that last requirement, because teams would just not clear a player if he was only going to be back for a couple games.

it's dependent on him healing. and i don't think he said probably, but i'd have to read the transcript. if he can't play, he can't play. how fast will his atrophied calf heal? can't xray that. even if the bone is healed, doesn't mean his season hasn't ended. can he push off, cut, etc.?

and none of us know the severity of the injury - rather speculation on what KF said = must not be that bad. probably right, but who knows.

i'm with olddude, i think.

However, I'm guessing McCall will receive significantly more advanced rehab...

what, MJ's hyperbaric chamber? healing time is healing time. bone heals as bone heals.

yes, he'll have all the opportunity to rehab., and he might heal a bit faster given his genetics, athletic fitness, but the human body is the human body and ankle breaks - depending on where there are - can be tough. very low blood circulation right above the ankle and healing can be problematic.

I guess Ferentz is an idiot & didn't consult the medical staff before making his statement earlier today. He shouldn't be so stupid & make medical diagnoses. Obviously, Ferentz is a buffoon & doesn't know what he is talking about.
Your retarded. I say good nite to you.

Haha, priceless! You call him "retarded" and don't even use the right form of YOU'RE. Who's really the dumba$$?

Latest posts