McCaffery needs to own up

I go back to a point I've made on this that personnel matters and we don't have a Woodbury to defend in the paint nor a Clemmons on the perimeter which accounts for us playing better defense the last few seasons. Fran has a team now that can do the things he wants offensively which fits his comfort zone. seepig has it right that you won't see us playing on this weekend next season or the two seasons after unless something changes.

The "something" that will change is experience.

WRONG AGAIN....W and L's is all that matters and if you aren't in it for W's and championships why the hell play the games. You gotta be kidding adjusted D. Go back to your stats Genie genius.

You were talking about defense but way to move the goalposts. I can do that too. W's and L's isn't all that matters. Family is all that matters.

The "something" that will change is experience.

We'll just have to see how much better this team gets defensively with experience. When I look back at the last team Woodbury came in as a freshman with the reputation as a solid defender who had limited skills offensively and I thought fans never really appreciated nor understood his value to the team. People want to see dunks and play above the rim.

On this team I hope Moss fully develops his potential because I think he can give us something we need on both ends of the floor. He seems like a natural driver to the basket and can pair nicely with Bohannon whose game revolves more around the perimeter. And we badly need a guard who can keep their main in front of him and cut off dribble penetration which he seems to have the potential to do.

We'll just have to see how much better this team gets defensively with experience. When I look back at the last team Woodbury came in as a freshman with the reputation as a solid defender who had limited skills offensively and I thought fans never really appreciated nor understood his value to the team. People want to see dunks and play above the rim.

On this team I hope Moss fully develops his potential because I think he can give us something we need on both ends of the floor. He seems like a natural driver to the basket and can pair nicely with Bohannon whose game revolves more around the perimeter. And we badly need a guard who can keep their main in front of him and cut off dribble penetration which he seems to have the potential to do.

The team will definitely be better on defense next year. The only question is how much better. If they can crack the top 50 they will be pretty good.

Imo, it is more of a experience issue than a schematic one. Iowa's defensive rotation wasn't good this year and that is all about communication and knowing where your teammates are going to be. Next year you will not see as many guys getting late out on shooters. It won't happen as often guys being a step behind cutting off dribble drive penetration. All that is experience, not X and O's.
You WOULD be correct if the fact that the Senior Peter Jok was the worst on the team at closing out a shooter so not sure it's JUST an experience thing.

You WOULD be correct if the fact that the Senior Peter Jok was the worst on the team at closing out a shooter so not sure it's JUST an experience thing.
Jok may not have been the worst, but IMHO, and the opinion of others on this board, he was not on the floor because of his defense. This year's team was definitely light on the defensive end of the court.

The experience gained this year by all the underclassmen will be invaluable next year. I don't see how the adjusted defensive efficiency isn't going to be better.

Just my $.02 .. .. GO HAWKS!!!

5 freshman and 4 sophomores in Iowa's rotation.......Other than that I don't know what to tell you. Baer,Uhl and Jok were the only ones with experience. Baer/ Uhl were solid and Jok was what he was. What do you suggest FM do?

I'm going to say Fran is the man. Why would we want him gone when football is a hell of a lot more important to the university and we can get rid of Ferentz. Fran improved the team from the beginning of the season to the end. At times we had all freshman playing and winning. He will get it done.

Jok rarely decided to play D. When one player isn't playing it's that much harder for the rest. Makes everyone look bad

Too funny. Tell me some teams Iowa could stay with and not get blown out?

Michigan - whom the Hawks beat, twice, were a last second missed shot from beating Oregon...
Wisconsin - whom the Hawks beat at their house - lost to Florida on a last second made shot (but clearly Wisconsin would have been blown out by S. Carolina....just like Villanova did)

Good Iowa could hang with most teams on any given night, bad Iowa would get run out of the gym by any round of 32 team who was playing well. Kinda how basketball works.

2017 Iowa likely couldn't beat any of the Sweet 16 team, 5+ out of 10 times. But that's not how the Tourney works.

Iowa beat 3 out of the 16 Sweet 16 teams....so to say that Iowa couldn't "stay with" or "not get blown out" by teams only a little better than those Sweet 16 teams.... is ....well.... an opinion I guess.

Noone is stating Iowa is a great team, they clearly weren't. But when they were good, they were pretty dang good.

Michigan - whom the Hawks beat, twice, were a last second missed shot from beating Oregon...
Wisconsin - whom the Hawks beat at their house - lost to Florida on a last second made shot (but clearly Wisconsin would have been blown out by S. Carolina....just like Villanova did)

Good Iowa could hang with most teams on any given night, bad Iowa would get run out of the gym by any round of 32 team who was playing well. Kinda how basketball works.

2017 Iowa likely couldn't beat any of the Sweet 16 team, 5+ out of 10 times. But that's not how the Tourney works.

Iowa beat 3 out of the 16 Sweet 16 teams....so to say that Iowa couldn't "stay with" or "not get blown out" by teams only a little better than those Sweet 16 teams.... is ....well.... an opinion I guess.

Noone is stating Iowa is a great team, they clearly weren't. But when they were good, they were pretty dang good.

Maishe Dailey could be the other pt. guard this team despartly needs. He certainly has the handles but penetrating and passing remains to be seen. I said earlier Williams has no attributes to be a solid pt. guard none. Problem is I pray he doesn't leave.

5 freshman and 4 sophomores in Iowa's rotation.......Other than that I don't know what to tell you. Baer,Uhl and Jok were the only ones with experience. Baer/ Uhl were solid and Jok was what he was. What do you suggest FM do?
See Frank Martin's video of the kid from ESPN Kids asking Frank about playing D. <mic drop>
I haven't coached a D1 program and neither have you so I'll let a guy that has completely rebuilt a dead program tell you.

Jok rarely decided to play D. When one player isn't playing it's that much harder for the rest. Makes everyone look bad
ABSOLUTELY Fran must instill D as a way of life not let the star scorer get away with making the rest of the team make up for it. Couldn't agree more. Again SEE FRANK MARTIN Interview about playing D.

Make him wear pansties
200.webp

Latest posts