McCaffery needs to own up

Blood in the water for these trolls after a loss - this team had a nice season in a rebuilding year and there's absolutely nothing anyone can say that will convince me differently. It wasn't a great season, but you'd have to be a really big pessimist or not understand how maturity and college basketball player development works to not see how bright the future can be for Iowa. This team is likely in or just on the outside of the preseason top 25 next season to START the year. So feel free to blare your doom and gloom nonsense but true Hawk fans aren't going to bite.

Blood in the water for these trolls after a loss - this team had a nice season in a rebuilding year and there's absolutely nothing anyone can say that will convince me differently. It wasn't a great season, but you'd have to be a really big pessimist or not understand how maturity and college basketball player development works to not see how bright the future can be for Iowa. This team is likely in or just on the outside of the preseason top 25 next season to START the year. So feel free to blare your doom and gloom nonsense but true Hawk fans aren't going to bite.

NAILED IT!

you have a long right history of saying great things on Hawkeyenation - a true Hawkeye fan through and through with the respect and admiration of all.

Iowa's Scoring Defense since Fran McCaffery has been at Iowa:

'16/'17= Ranking currently at 299th (78.1 points per game)
'15/'16= Ranking: 107th (69.3 points per game)
'14/'15= Ranking: 64th (62.3 points per game)
'13/'14= Ranking 184th (70.3 points per game)
'12/'13= Ranking 75th (62.8 points per game)
'11/'12= Ranking 292nd (72.5 points per game)
'10/'11= Ranking 181st (68.1 points per game)

Average ranking is 171st. Average points per game allowed= 69.05

We haven't been ranked in the top 60 in scoring defense since Fran McCaffery has been at Iowa for 7 seasons. He's not a good defensive coach, period.
You know who probably had a lot better PPG numbers? Lickliter

It's attitudes like the OP is what got Iowa into this Lickliter mess to begin with. Anybody with a brain can see Fran has this team headed in the right direction and has ever since he's gotten here. He took the team off of life support and built into one that can compete for a NCAA bid even in an obvious rebuilding year. This team is going to be good, yes it has some limitations on defense especially on the perimeter but don't think Fran doesn't see this and won't make adjustments.

As far as those numbers some of you are tossing around do you even realize there are around 350 D1 schools and do you realize there are still a number of them that play a Lickliter style? Iowa is an uptempo team with a motion offense, I don't ever expect Iowa to ever be a top 50 team in scoring defense. I haven't looked but I'd wager those teams that do have the top scoring defenses are not cracking the top 50 in scoring offense.

But some of us need to stop getting pulled in by these trolls. When you see a new member pop up start new threads like this chances are they are not even an Iowa fan, just someone wanting to stir crap up. Heck it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't 5656 with a new account, we'll see how quickly this new person responds and how much time they spend on here.

We haven't been ranked in the top 60 in scoring defense since Fran McCaffery has been at Iowa for 7 seasons. He's not a good defensive coach, period.

Do you guys understand anything about pace and number of possessions and how that effects scoring defense? I would hope so. I'll explain for you.

Iowa plays in an uptempo system under FM, meaning they shoot relatively quick in the shot clock compared to other teams. As I said in an earlier thread, they led the B1G in FG attempts this year. This also increases the number of possessions that they have to play defense for, which leads to more opportunities to score for the other team.

KenPom has an adjusted defense stat which adjusts for your pace. This year we rank 122 in adjusted D. Here is our adjusted D in previous years:

2016 - 30
2015 - 33
2014 - 77
2013 - 25

So if you think our defense this year was comparable to our defense in prior years, and you think we've always been horrible at defense, then you don't understand basketball and therefore cannot complain.

It's attitudes like the OP is what got Iowa into this Lickliter mess to begin with. Anybody with a brain can see Fran has this team headed in the right direction and has ever since he's gotten here. He took the team off of life support and built into one that can compete for a NCAA bid even in an obvious rebuilding year. This team is going to be good, yes it has some limitations on defense especially on the perimeter but don't think Fran doesn't see this and won't make adjustments.

As far as those numbers some of you are tossing around do you even realize there are around 350 D1 schools and do you realize there are still a number of them that play a Lickliter style? Iowa is an uptempo team with a motion offense, I don't ever expect Iowa to ever be a top 50 team in scoring defense. I haven't looked but I'd wager those teams that do have the top scoring defenses are not cracking the top 50 in scoring offense.

But some of us need to stop getting pulled in by these trolls. When you see a new member pop up start new threads like this chances are they are not even an Iowa fan, just someone wanting to stir crap up. Heck it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't 5656 with a new account, we'll see how quickly this new person responds and how much time they spend on here.

He has like 5 posts in the last year - all of them negative and complete troll jobs. I'm all about being critical - I tend to agree with a lot of criticisms on here, but the ones that are this blatant are easy to spot.

Do you guys understand anything about pace and number of possessions and how that effects scoring defense? I would hope so. I'll explain for you.

Iowa plays in an uptempo system under FM, meaning they shoot relatively quick in the shot clock compared to other teams. As I said in an earlier thread, they led the B1G in FG attempts this year. This also increases the number of possessions that they have to play defense for, which leads to more opportunities to score for the other team.

KenPom has an adjusted defense stat which adjusts for your pace. This year we rank 122 in adjusted D. Here is our adjusted D in previous years:

2016 - 30
2015 - 33
2014 - 77
2013 - 25

So if you think our defense this year was comparable to our defense in prior years, and you think we've always been horrible at defense, then you don't understand basketball and therefore cannot complain.

Please don't let facts get in the way of a Troll narrative - Fran's teams always tank at the end of the season too.

Try to keep up. The guy said we haven't sniffed a conference chsmpionship. That means we haven't been close. My post was to show how close we were.

we were in the drivers seat for a huge portion of last year - we didn't do enough. I think it's funny that most of these trolls are ISU fans - how many regular season conference championships do they have lately?

We lost twice to Indiana but that wasn't the last game. We lost @OSU after, Wisconsin on senior night, and beat Michigan at Crisler to end the year which people ignore when they try to say they collapsed. And it was in a season where we only played the bottom four one time each, which seems almost mathematically impossible to draw that unlucky a a schedule when you play 5 of 13 twice. This year we drew both the bottom two twice.

Actually Indiana was senior night. The last 4 games went Wisconsin at home, at Ohio State, Indiana, at Michigan. Hayes drilled a late 3 that beat us and Ferrell did the same. "IF" those 2 shots miss, there is a very good chance we tie for a conference championship. I would say that's sniffing a championship.

The Hawkeyes allowed 69.3 PPG in '15-16 and was a decent defensive team. The year before, they allowed 62.3 PPG, which ranked 64th nationally. So, it's not an on-going problem. That would be factually incorrect based on statistics.
To a certain point i agree however part of stats is what the other team doesn't do. For instance just because a team shoots poorly from 3 doesn't mean you've done a good job defending the perimeter. Have you watched Peter Jok closeout a perimeter shooter?! Frankly it's embarrassing we walk out to shooters we don't leap out to shooters. There is a difference and TCU was a prime example against your stats argument.

And our backside rotations are just awful and that's BEEN an ongoing issue. Giving people wide open looks isn't playing D. They should keep a stat how many unchallenged shots the other team gets. There is a VAST difference in the defensive intensity a Louisville or Rhode Island plays with versus a Fran coached team. That'll never change.

And our backside rotations are just awful and that's BEEN an ongoing issue. Giving people wide open looks isn't playing D. They should keep a stat how many unchallenged shots the other team gets. There is a VAST difference in the defensive intensity a Louisville or Rhode Island plays with versus a Fran coached team. That'll never change.

see... this take - while I think it can change - and it's been better in certain seasons because of personnel - is not a troll and actually a take I respect. Real takes and troll jobs are easy to spot.

Last season Iowa ranked 29th in 3 point percentage only giving up 31% and were #1 in conference play.

Adjusted defense per kenpom:

2017: 122nd
2016: 30th
2015: 33rd
2014: 77th
2013: 25th

This is a freshman class and you'd expect that they'd take a big step back defensively. But prior to that, Iowa has been a consistently good defensive team. It's not really debatable.

You can't just do PPG when Iowa plays at the tempo they do.

Adjusted defense per kenpom:

2017: 122nd
2016: 30th
2015: 33rd
2014: 77th
2013: 25th

This is a freshman class and you'd expect that they'd take a big step back defensively. But prior to that, Iowa has been a consistently good defensive team. It's not really debatable.

You can't just do PPG when Iowa plays at the tempo they do.

You won't get a response to that. When someone posts defensive scoring stats, it's either a complete brain fart, they're stupid, or they're trolling. Tksirius definitely isn't a troll, I don't think he's stupid, so more than likely it was a complete brain fart. He should just say "oh duh, good point" but he will probably just ignore it.

No doubt things are looking up. Madness has shown us that at times you have to win ugly and can't just outscore your opponent.

There are 3 key point concerning Iowa defense

1. Poor defensive posture. It's like some of them have absolutely no clue on how to force your opponent to weak hand. Arms flailing lead to fouls and slow your first step. Little first step anticipation.

2. Poor close out but also related to #1.

3. Lack of speed up top. Puts the rest of the D a partial step behind. Leads to little help. Over and over again, the teams advancing get blind side steals.

I'm not a Michigan fan, but watch their D posture, hand position, close out, and how they steal. They don't swipe across the body.

On the serious side, when is the last time you saw Iowa D do it this way?
Then watch Michigan.

The speed up top. I see know teams left that are slow up top. Purdue isn't quick but not slow up top. Iowa is SSSSSLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW up top.

and they REEEEEEEEEEEach from what already starts from poor foot position.

A good HS coach already knows this. Fran's teams don't.

Last season Iowa ranked 29th in 3 point percentage only giving up 31% and were #1 in conference play.

I wonder if that's because they had a bunch of experienced players maybe? McCaffery will never have a great defensive team, but when he has the right players he has good defensive teams. And that's fine by me. I want great offense and good defense.

Our biggest problem on defense is post help. It's unreal how far they step up to help, leaving their man wide open under the rim. Cook is horrible at that. He either doesn't help at all and gives up a layup or he helps to far out and gives up a layup. Just take one step up to stop penetration but don't give your man behind you 5 feet of open space.

Latest posts