McCaffery needs to own up

Our biggest problem on defense is post help. It's unreal how far they step up to help, leaving their man wide open under the rim. Cook is horrible at that. He either doesn't help at all and gives up a layup or he helps to far out and gives up a layup. Just take one step up to stop penetration but don't give your man behind you 5 feet of open space.

and that's Fran's deal right, philosophy? I get when people complain about it and it's a legit complaint IMO.

and that's Fran's deal right, philosophy? I get when people complain about it and it's a legit complaint IMO.

I think you might think I was referring to the hedging. I meant the opponent is driving the lane and our post needs to step up to stop him. He steps out way to far and fast, way to slow, or not at all. It's a player mistake that will get better with time.

I think you might think I was referring to the hedging. I meant the opponent is driving the lane and our post needs to step up to stop him. He steps out way to far and fast, way to slow, or not at all. It's a player mistake that will get better with time.

I did think you were referring to the hedging. I get that complaint. It can also work too and be effective with the right guy.

I did think you were referring to the hedging. I get that complaint. It can also work too and be effective with the right guy.

I don't have much opinion on the hedging either way. Fans hate it because when it works you don't even notice it at all so you don't even think about it, but when it doesn't work, it looks horrible and sticks out like a sore thumb.

It was a team with four freshmen and a senior never known for his defensive prowess starting. Logic would tell us that this was the problem with the defense more than Fran's lack of coaching.

It was a team with four freshmen and a senior never known for his defensive prowess starting. Logic would tell us that this was the problem with the defense more than Fran's lack of coaching.

So does the lack of defensive fundamentals and speed....logically speaking. When the pt can't keep up, it automatically puts the rest of the D...on the defensive playing catch up. See the entire Sweet 16.

Iowa's Scoring Defense since Fran McCaffery has been at Iowa:

'16/'17= Ranking currently at 299th (78.1 points per game)
'15/'16= Ranking: 107th (69.3 points per game)
'14/'15= Ranking: 64th (62.3 points per game)
'13/'14= Ranking 184th (70.3 points per game)
'12/'13= Ranking 75th (62.8 points per game)
'11/'12= Ranking 292nd (72.5 points per game)
'10/'11= Ranking 181st (68.1 points per game)

Average ranking is 171st. Average points per game allowed= 69.05

We haven't been ranked in the top 60 in scoring defense since Fran McCaffery has been at Iowa for 7 seasons. He's not a good defensive coach, period.
If def. PPG is what matters to you, then Lickliter is your man. Go find him and cheer on his team 'cause he's gotta be in high demand as a coach.

Look guys it's plain and simple. Fran is a great offensive coach. He really has shown how he can take average players and turn themy into legit B1G scorers. His crux is defense. If you want to fire a great offensive coach because of lack luster defense then be careful what you wish for. Licklitter was a good defensive coach. How fun was it to watch his teams? I propose that Fran be pressured to bring in an assistant that is a defensive guru. That should help the over defense and not cripple the amazing offensive strides that we have made. See, simple right?

If def. PPG is what matters to you, then Lickliter is your man. Go find him and cheer on his team 'cause he's gotta be in high demand as a coach.
It's cool to use PPG in support of Fran's defense, but not if you're trying to give the full picture. #IdolWorship
3_21_2017_11_02_12_AM.jpg

So does the lack of defensive fundamentals and speed....logically speaking. When the pt can't keep up, it automatically puts the rest of the D...on the defensive playing catch up. See the entire Sweet 16.

Butler, Xavier, Oregon and South Carolina all do not have that impressive of a PG. That is 1/4th of the Sweet 16. I can think of 5 teams off the top that lost and had way better PGs. Simple fact is there are multiple way to skin a cat. Having some stud do it all PG is just one of the ways. You have to see and understand this.

Butler, Xavier, Oregon and South Carolina all do not have that impressive of a PG. That is 1/4th of the Sweet 16. I can think of 5 teams off the top that lost and had way better PGs. Simple fact is there are multiple way to skin a cat. Having some stud do it all PG is just one of the ways. You have to see and understand this.

Iowa has a stud PG too... which is nice

None of those teams are serious contenders, but yes I missed them. To get there, Duke had one of their slowest teams ever. Xavier...not a serious contender and likely not Oregon. Butler is one of the fundamentally sound teams ever. Fran's teams aren't. Therefore the PG covers a lot of weakness.

Before your time I guess, Ronnie Lester and Kenny Arnold made Special K, Steve Waite and Kevin Boyle look like world beaters. Sound D starts at the top. Baylor which isn't great will expose SC. Butler has had an easy road as had the Ducks.

I get what you are saying. Possible? of course. A serious contender? I think back to the 06 Iowa team. Tough as nails PG? Yes. Results? That was Iowa's last realistic chance to do damage in the dance.

Do you guys understand anything about pace and number of possessions and how that effects scoring defense? I would hope so. I'll explain for you.

Iowa plays in an uptempo system under FM, meaning they shoot relatively quick in the shot clock compared to other teams. As I said in an earlier thread, they led the B1G in FG attempts this year. This also increases the number of possessions that they have to play defense for, which leads to more opportunities to score for the other team.

KenPom has an adjusted defense stat which adjusts for your pace. This year we rank 122 in adjusted D. Here is our adjusted D in previous years:

2016 - 30
2015 - 33
2014 - 77
2013 - 25

So if you think our defense this year was comparable to our defense in prior years, and you think we've always been horrible at defense, then you don't understand basketball and therefore cannot complain.

annnnddd...close thread.

I wonder if that's because they had a bunch of experienced players maybe? McCaffery will never have a great defensive team, but when he has the right players he has good defensive teams. And that's fine by me. I want great offense and good defense.

With even average defense....this year's team was a whole other beast. They showed it in flashes.

The defense will improve, I think by a lot. If we can replace Jok's 20 ppg....I could see 23+ wins and a 9 seed or better in the Dance.

I know, right....Iowa can't handle teams like Wisc, Purdue, or Michigan...twice. And forget that help from the interior can usually make up for a perimeter defender getting beat. It's gotta be on Fran, despite the adjusted defensive stats posts on this thread, that completely debunks that take.

But, the emphasis on speed is not everything. Juwan Evans (PG from Oklahoma State who just put his name into the NBA draft) who is as fast as anyone in college was rated almost the same as Bohannon defensively this year (108.2 vs 110.3). Sure, it helps to have speed, but it doesn't solve everything on defense.

With a team like Iowa, the defense depends on rotations into the lane when the defense breaks down and then back out to the shooters. The freshman were not good at that yet and Jok was not a good defender either. I expect the defense to improve with experience as it has in the past for Iowa.

Latest posts