McCaffery family has a pow-wow on getting hassled on social media

Have you watched it? I did a couple days ago.

Your hate for the Hawkeyes programs is pretty fuckin incredible. All it was was a mom and her kids saying it sucks that people shit on players personally in Twitter.

@InGoodCo made a damn good point that you just do nothing but shit on the Hawks in every facet of the sports scene. Maybe you should either get a different team or go subscribe to HRFry

Have you watched it? I did a couple days ago.

Your hate for the Hawkeyes programs is pretty fuckin incredible. All it was was a mom and her kids saying it sucks that people shit on players personally in Twitter.

@InGoodCo made a damn good point that you just do nothing but shit on the Hawks in every facet of the sports scene. Maybe you should either get a different team or go subscribe to HR.
My point was that I think from a PR perspective, which is what the University has a problem with, they need to get off of social media. Attacking your own fan base....and she is the wife of the coach....not a good look. I understand she is defending her kids, but in her position, she needs to pump the breaks.

You took that 100% out of context. She said that because it’s tough to have kids who play for her husband. It had nothing to fucking do with not liking Iowa city or the Hawkeyes.

Seriously, if you’re just gonna do nothing but shitposting the Hawks go do it somewhere else. Every single post or thread by you is nothing but how they suck.

You need a different team or a different board.

You live in CR, do you ever attend a game or support the Hawks at all? I mean, I'm not some big donor by any stretch, but do you do anything to support the Hawks except sit at home and complain about every sport and fetishize over Mr Tom? You say Carver is a funeral home...have you ever been there? In the last 10 years? 20 years? I'm admittedly one of the first people to criticize CHA as a basketball venue, but I actually go in the building, and I live 5 1/2 hours away. You ever been to Kinnick?

You're like @Stanzi. You love to tell everyone how much you love Iowa sports, but in reality you hate 'em and like it when they lose so you can go off on how much they suck.
Love Iowa sports and attend Iowa sports. Please Fry, don't go down the InGood rabbit hole. In fact, a season ticket holder.

Last edited:
I watched it and CONTEXT is EVERYTHING. I didn't get those negative vibes at all. That's pretty much the first time I've heard her speak in any kind of extended way so my 2 cents on her is almost 100% from that. But she sounds like a protective loving momma bear with a husband that coaches. She played the game at a high level. She's smart and understands the ins and outs of the sport better than us keyboard warriors could ever hope to.

They are human and since they choose to be on social media they are seeing all that goes into that. There is a shit ton of crap coming from trolls non stop on there. Is what it is. The fine line is when taking about legit criticism and to what point is that an issue.

I think they take that part of it fine in that Fran is a D1 HC. His whole existence is to be giving out constructive criticism. That's basically what coaching is. You think he's a soft parent to his boys yet a hard ass to his other players? That'd be so out of character for him I can't see that being the case. With 2 boys on the team if that was the case everyone around them would see right through it and it'd have been brought up by now as long as CM has been there. His boys are both great students and good kids from everything I've ever read or heard about them. Everything else is just noise to me. I have no problem with her with Fran or the boys going about how they've been doing things.

Heck that interview showed how tight knit of a family that they are if you watched the whole thing. Got to learn about her a lot. I thought it was hilarious when she played the Mom card on them with a "cause I said so" I got a laugh out of it anyway.
Agree they are human. I agree they have every right to not like things said about them online.

The larger point I'm making is they need to stay off of social media if they can't handle it. That is why I admired Kirk so much for his policy on social media (before the BLM stuff forced his hand to change it). It helped prevent stuff like this from happening.

And, I will say this. No matter how bad some of the fan base can be to them (unless maybe their lives are threatened in some way) it is best to take the high road. Calling your own fan base names is not a good look in their position.....let alone admitting she is doing that online. This goes back to the PR problem our program has at the University.

I also believe this is a noticeable problem in our basketball program and goes back to mental toughness issues. Even opposing coaches in the past have pointed out we get rattled to easy out on the court. I think these two issues can be mutually exclusive in how we take adversity on and off the court.

I know Fry, in the past has pointed out he has no problem with an opposing team running up the score on an opponent. If they don't like it, they need to stop it. Paraphrasing there.

Honestly, the same could be said here. If they don't like that their jump-shot woes are being criticized, get off social media, hit the gym, and put in the extra work.

Last edited:
Love Iowa sports and attend Iowa sports. Please Fry, don't go down the InGood rabbit hole. In fact, a season ticket holder.
I'm not going down any rabbit hole. You're fucking miserable and you'd be happier with a different team.

You're one of those people who aren't happy unless they're unhappy. If somebody gave you $9,999 you'd bitch that it wasn't $10k.

We get that you still mentally suckle Mr Tom, but he ain't coming back number one, and he ain't a whole lot better than Fran. .547 in conference vs. Fran's .507, and Mr Tom coached in an era where the B1G was a WHOLE lot less brutal. Stop being a nebrask-esque fan wishing and thinking your team is or should be what it was in 1987 for F's sake. It's a whole different environment, and it's not gonna happen again, period.

You're just a completely miserable guy a la @Stanzi who should just burn your gear and become a Purdue fan. What a stupid goddamn' waste of money your season tickets are.

It's like being a person who dishes out a couple grand to hit himself in the balls with a hammer and then bitches that it hurts. Stupid to pay money to do it in the first place, and stupid to expect it not to hurt. What fucking sense does it make? Spend your money on something you enjoy and save us having to witness your misery.

I also believe this is a noticeable problem in our basketball program and goes back to mental toughness issues.
LOL

Mental toughness

You know exactly jack shit about any of the players on any college team, never met one, never met a coach, and you know how mentally tough they are?

You know why you're mad? Because you're one of the Cheeto-eaters on the couch that Connor and Patrick were talking about. You don't have the slightest clue what any college athlete goes through, not just Hawk players.

I'm not going down any rabbit hole. You're fucking miserable and you'd be happier with a different team.

You're one of those people who aren't happy unless they're unhappy. If somebody gave you $9,999 you'd bitch that it wasn't $10k.

We get that you still mentally suckle Mr Tom, but he ain't coming back number one, and he ain't a whole lot better than Fran. .547 in conference vs. Fran's .507, and Mr Tom coached in an era where the B1G was a WHOLE lot less brutal. Stop being a nebrask-esque fan wishing and thinking your team is or should be what it was in 1987 for F's sake. It's a whole different environment, and it's not gonna happen again, period.

You're just a completely miserable guy a la @Stanzi who should just burn your gear and become a Purdue fan. What a stupid goddamn' waste of money your season tickets are.

It's like being a person who dishes out a couple grand to hit himself in the balls with a hammer and then bitches that it hurts. Stupid to pay money to do it in the first place, and stupid to expect it not to hurt. What fucking sense does it make? Spend your money on something you enjoy and save us having to witness your misery.

Love Iowa sports and will continue to attend them. Been doing it for decades. Again, the larger issue here, I'm talking about, is the PR problems in our University. Nothing more, nothing less. This is going blown out of context in a completely different way. Sorry Fry, I disagree with you here.

LOL

Mental toughness

You know exactly jack shit about any of the players on any college team, never met one, never met a coach, and you know how mentally tough they are?

You know why you're mad? Because you're one of the Cheeto-eaters on the couch that Connor and Patrick were talking about. You don't have the slightest clue what any college athlete goes through, not just Hawk players.
You don't even know who I am. Not that it matters. Again, this goes back to the larger problem of the PR issues in our University.

I understand she is defending her kids, but in her position, she needs to pump the breaks.
Says who? You?

So now people can't call out douche bags being a-holes on Twitter? BTW, the reason you're mad is because you're the exact person she's targeting in the podcast. So you can dish out whatever bullshit you want, but when she or whoever calls you out for it it's against the rules?

Sounds like a double fucking standard there, Chief.

You don't even know who I am. Not that it matters. Again, this goes back to the larger problem of the PR issues in our University.
I know you're not a D1 athlete and I know you have no connections to or insight about any D1 sports program. But you claim to know how mentally tough some people are because you watch them play a game for a few hours a year.

Says who? You?

So now people can't call out douche bags being a-holes on Twitter? BTW, the reason you're mad is because you're the exact person she's targeting in the podcast. So you can dish out whatever bullshit you want, but when she or whoever calls you out for it it's against the rules?

Sounds like a double fucking standard there, Chief.
She can, but I don't think it is a good look out of the program. Again, that is why I admired Kirk's position on this before he had to change things because of the BLM issues with the football program.

I know you're not a D1 athlete and I know you have no connections to or insight about any D1 sports program. But you claim to know how mentally tough some people are because you watch them play a game for a few hours a year.
How do you presume to know that? This should be good.

Again, the larger issue here, I'm talking about, is the PR problems in our University. Nothing more, nothing less. This is going blown out of context in a completely different way. Sorry Fry, I disagree with you here.
No. you're deflecting. Terribly, I might add.

You do nothing here but wax poetic ad nauseum about how bad the Hawkeyes suck and how bad their coaches suck, even when they're winning. You know this, and now you're deflecting because people are calling you out on it.

Now you're trying to say that the issue isn't the Hawks sucking, but it's a PR issue and I'm blowing it out of proportion?

Need me to start quoting post history?

How do you presume to know that? This should be good.
Then prove me wrong.

I've eaten plenty of crow and I'm not scared of it from you.

Tell us how you know so much about the inner workings of a P6 basketball team and how tough they are, and what your connections are to the staff/program.

No. you're deflecting. Terribly, I might add.

You do nothing here but wax poetic ad nauseum about how bad the Hawkeyes suck and how bad their coaches suck, even when they're winning. You know this, and now you're deflecting because people are calling you out on it.

Now you're trying to say that the issue isn't the Hawks sucking, but it's a PR issue and I'm blowing it out of proportion?

Need me to start quoting post history?
Going back to the beginning of this thread. I note full well:

"Have not watched this yet, but again....this family...program is obsessed over social media criticism. They need to get off it if they can't handle it."

"No matter what some say, you don't attack your own fan base. This was not a good look imho."

This speaks to PR issues.

She can, but I don't think it is a good look out of the program. Again, that is why I admired Kirk's position on this before he had to change things because of the BLM issues with the football program.
Ahh....

You're one of thousands of anonymous internet trolls hiding behind a keyboard, and now she's allowed to respond but there's a qualifier (placed by you) that it's not ok?

Jesus. You're getting way in LF now, man.

Going back to the beginning of this thread. I note full well:

"Have not watched this yet, but again....this family...program is obsessed over social media criticism. They need to get off it if they can't handle it."

"No matter what some say, you don't attack your own fan base. This was not a good look imho."

This speaks to PR issues.
Again, deflection. The whole reason this thread blew up is because you do nothing but shit talk Hawkeye sports. @InGoodCo and a bunch of others have called you out on it. You don't gfet to just change the subject and act like it's not the case. I can post tons of your history supporting you shit posting.

I get mad and dislike plenty of stuff that goes on, But you are completely incessant about it. It never stops no matgter what. Even when the Hawks are winning you're bitching about something.

Agree they are human. I agree they have every right to not like things said about them online.

The larger point I'm making is they need to stay off of social media if they can't handle it. That is why I admired Kirk so much for his policy on social media (before the BLM stuff forced his hand to change it). It helped prevent stuff like this from happening.

And, I will say this. No matter how bad some of the fan base can be to them (unless maybe their lives are threatened in some way) it is best to take the high road. Calling your own fan base names is not a good look in their position.....let alone admitting she is doing that online. This goes back to the PR problem our program has at the University.

I also believe this is a noticeable problem in our basketball program and goes back to mental toughness issues. Even opposing coaches in the past have pointed out we get rattled to easy out on the court. I think these two issues can be mutually exclusive in how we take adversity on and off the court.

I know Fry, in the past has pointed out he has no problem with an opposing team running up the score on an opponent. If they don't like it, they need to stop it. Paraphrasing there.

Honestly, the same could be said here. If they don't like that their jump-shot woes are being criticized, get off social media, hit the gym, and put in the extra work.
Who's to say they can't handle it? You? If you paid attention to what they were saying they clearly were differentiating between fans who were criticizing fairly and those that are just being jackasses/trolls. Why do they have any less of a right to call them out than anyone else?

Sure taking the high road and ignoring it is a way to handle it. But they aren't doing anything wrong by commenting back to folks on there the way they are either. Freedom of speech applies to them too.

CM is probably the mentally toughest kid on the team so that's an odd angle to take for you... To go put up with what he has go through the injuries he has try to play 2 sports while being an exceptional student while playing for his dad I think takes a shit ton of mental toughness and time management skills that I know I never had at that age.

Then prove me wrong.

I've eaten plenty of crow and I'm not scared of it from you.

Tell us how you know so much about the inner workings of a P6 basketball team and how tough they are, and what your connections are to the staff/program.
You are the one bringing up D1 stuff and I have not even made one mention of it.

In terms of rabbit holes and disclosing information, I'm taking the high road there. That is the perks of the anonymous aspect of the internet to be able to speak freely on topics....at least until that gets changed like Jon Miller made mention of that desire in the past.

No reason to get crucified by the community. LOL.

Again, deflection. The whole reason this thread blew up is because you do nothing but shit talk Hawkeye sports. @InGoodCo and a bunch of others have called you out on it. You don't gfet to just change the subject and act like it's not the case. I can post tons of your history supporting you shit posting.

I get mad and dislike plenty of stuff that goes on, But you are completely incessant about it. It never stops no matgter what. Even when the Hawks are winning you're bitching about something.
Ok, I'm sorry. I will cool the jets. Honestly, I'm not really that mad. LOL

Who's to say they can't handle it? You? If you paid attention to what they were saying they clearly were differentiating between fans who were criticizing fairly and those that are just being jackasses/trolls. Why do they have any less of a right to call them out than anyone else?

Sure taking the high road and ignoring it is a way to handle it. But they aren't doing anything wrong by commenting back to folks on there the way they are either. Freedom of speech applies to them too.

CM is probably the mentally toughest kid on the team so that's an odd angle to take for you... To go put up with what he has go through the injuries he has try to play 2 sports while being an exceptional student while playing for his dad I think takes a shit ton of mental toughness and time management skills that I know I never had at that age.
You are probably right on many aspects. I think the winning move is the high road....why even leave things to doubt?

I was always taught, you keep things shielded from the outside no matter what is said. You let your play dictate your words.