McCabe jailed for assault

Yes, and good words to live by. I think if more people took listened to Hank and Hank Jr. this country would be a better place.

Wonder what this means:

Iowa Code 708:

708.7 HARASSMENT. 1. a. A person commits harassment when, with intent to intimidate, annoy, or alarm another person, the person does any of the following: (1) Communicates with another by telephone, telegraph, writing, or via electronic communication without legitimate purpose and in a manner likely to cause the other person annoyance or harm.

Wonder what this means:

Iowa Code 708:

708.7 HARASSMENT. 1. a. A person commits harassment when, with intent to intimidate, annoy, or alarm another person, the person does any of the following: (1) Communicates with another by telephone, telegraph, writing, or via electronic communication without legitimate purpose and in a manner likely to cause the other person annoyance or harm.
What it means is if one is so mentally weak that they can't ignore some clown that is tweeting mean things,isn't smart enough to block the clown,doesn't have enough self restraint to not follow the clown to see what he's tweeting,then perhaps he could pursue a harassment charge.

What it doesn't mean is that you can punch the clown because you don't like what he tweets about you.

What it means is if one is so mentally weak that they can't ignore some clown that is tweeting mean things,isn't smart enough to block the clown,doesn't have enough self restraint to not follow the clown to see what he's tweeting,then perhaps he could pursue a harassment charge.

What it doesn't mean is that you can punch the clown because you don't like what he tweets about you.

You know this is finally an interesting discussion. The distinction between physical and verbal abuse is being questioned as evidence of neural damage from verbal abuse is being discovered.

This calls into question the Descartian mind/body dualism. The old sticks and stones thinking is now about as sound as thinking the world is flat. Science lets us know better.

The issue is how do we determine the extent of neural damage in respect to certain amounts of verbal abuse? Is a nasty tweet the same as a physical push, that affects the person's physical state, but doesn't leave a mark? Is a systematic campaign of abuse the same as giving someone a black eye?

What we do know is that the psychological impact of verbal abuse is much more long lasting than physical abuse.

Boys have traditionally set physical boundaries in response to verbal abuse, perhaps if we thought of it as a physical response to a neural physical harm, we would see things differently. Also, if we considered that certain physical harms done to the body could be more focused on neural abuse, we might be able to determine whether a physical response might be more or less legitimate.

The problem is physical responses have become deamonized, while verbal abuse, with the exception of hate speach, has not.

Just wondering who gets to decide what is hate speech ? The whole internet thing can get pretty hateful in my opinion. Just seems funny somethings are some arnt. I still sorta go with the sticks and stones thing. I don't much care what people say unless its someone I love

You know this is finally an interesting discussion. The distinction between physical and verbal abuse is being questioned as evidence of neural damage from verbal abuse is being discovered.

This calls into question the Descartian mind/body dualism. The old sticks and stones thinking is now about as sound as thinking the world is flat. Science lets us know better.

The issue is how do we determine the extent of neural damage in respect to certain amounts of verbal abuse? Is a nasty tweet the same as a physical push, that affects the person's physical state, but doesn't leave a mark? Is a systematic campaign of abuse the same as giving someone a black eye?

What we do know is that the psychological impact of verbal abuse is much more long lasting than physical abuse.

Boys have traditionally set physical boundaries in response to verbal abuse, perhaps if we thought of it as a physical response to a neural physical harm, we would see things differently. Also, if we considered that certain physical harms done to the body could be more focused on neural abuse, we might be able to determine whether a physical response might be more or less legitimate.

The problem is physical responses have become deamonized, while verbal abuse, with the exception of hate speach, has not.

Excellent thoughtful reply, Carr....

A Feast for Thought....

:rolleyes:

You sound like a $500 an hour solicitor.....

Thank you for your informed opinion.....

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just wondering who gets to decide what is hate speech ? The whole internet thing can get pretty hateful in my opinion. Just seems funny somethings are some arnt. I still sorta go with the sticks and stones thing. I don't much care what people say unless its someone I love

The point isn't whether you consciously care, but if neural physical harm is being done. Think of it as an internal injury or condition of which you are not completely aware. For instance, people often develop life threatening blod clots from things like sitting in one position too long. NBC anchor David Bloom died of DVT after complaining of cramps in his legs while on location in Iraq. The docs told him to rest and get appropriate care. He didn't think it was a big issue. Could be neural damage could work the same way. We might not think stuff is affecting us, but our transmitters might be getting rewired in ways that will get us in the future.

I personally consider the messages to Zach, Hate Speech, far from complimentary comments, Very Far. As difficult as it must be for a college student to drop twitter, and I imagine the majority of college students use twitter, facebook, etc, Zach should have dropped it immediately after the Wisconsin game.....

Nonetheless, I approve of him decking the punk who interfered with his conversation with a woman in a bar after posting, F*** You P**** a few minutes before.....

Wonder if he put his hands on Zach to separate him from the woman he was having a heated discussion with. Police advise otherwise.....

I also wonder if Zach was reading his twitter account while having a discussion with the mysterious woman.....

There is also the timing of hateful tweets. After the Wisconsin game the team must have felt devastated, and to be hit with hateful remarks even before the game ended would be difficult to handle. Not every young person is well adjusted and composed enough to overlook such hatred and delete their account before replying, especially after such a closely contested game against a bitter rival and final four team.....
I would imagine Zach has left twitter behind now.....

I sincerely hope he comes through this incident alright. Actually, all he did was put a punk on the floor in an IC bar, blew him a kiss and walked out the door. He didn't put the boots to him. He rid himself of an obnoxious pest and went home....

Last edited:
One more post, Shane, and it is no longer a perceived problem. The bitter envy will commence.....

Prepare for the tweets, Mi Amigo.....

:cool:

Latest posts