Matt Gatens said it best this morning!

hawkytalk

In this mornings ICPC Gatens said"obviously,its our record,so we keep track of it. Its not fun at all,and you get really sick of it". I think we all,the players included are ready for this season to end.

Well that's not what you want to hear. Its like they have lost all motivation to play the sport! I hope none of these guys transfer, but with talk like that, you never know.

Most athletes play the game cause they "love" it. It sounds like our players are falling out of love with the game and are just playing it to play it. Not a positive quote in my book and now I am worried about the off season.

In this mornings ICPC Gatens said"obviously,its our record,so we keep track of it. Its not fun at all,and you get really sick of it". I think we all,the players included are ready for this season to end.

and it showed last night....they didn't even try...just going through the motions...PATHETIC...........

They have given up for the year. They will probably have two more games like this and then call it a year...

Fortunately, Lickliter Knows that it is just because it is because they had to play on Senior Night at Wisky and now at Minnesota so that is the reason it will be so tough and they will get their heads handed to them. NOT because they have given up.

Excuses are better than having to say he has lost the team and they have given up.

Then the tournament, they will get blown out but that will be because 1) it was too big of a layoff 2) not a big enough layoff 3) they are too young 4) they were studying 5) they don't match up well with the team they meet 6) the temperature wasn't right 7 ) the fans didn't support them well enough during the game 8) the lighting was quite right 9) the floor was a little slippery 10) it was the game right after Senior Night 11) it was the wrong time of the day 12) it was the facilities 13) the game was in Indiana and not in Carver, which wasn't fair, and 14) about 40 other excuses that he can think of why Iowa got blown out

Just more evidence Lick has lost this team! They don't even have pride anymore!

Last edited:
This team has been beaten down so many times, they just want the pain to stop. Dont seem to have much competitive spirit. Thats on Lick

Fortunately, I was in Rhode Island and didn't get to see the game. In looking at the box score I noticed that Matt had zero rebounds and didn't go to the free throw line. That's not good! He can't be enjoying his basketball life right now.

Man, you really have to feel for these kids.

Feel for them? Sorry but its but I can't feel bad for a bunch of kids that look like they don't want to play basketball. If they don't want to be on the court they can find something else to do and that includes Gatens crying ***.

That quote tells me guys are on their way out the door

Lick needs to be kicked to the curb 22 losses

22 freaking losses!!!!!!!!!!!

hopefully matt doesnt transfer to new mexico. that would be nuts but should get lick fired

Three expectations for this season for me to continue to support TL as the coach:
1) Play like champions -- with pride and balls-out effort for your self, coach and university.
2) Improvement over the season, especially on the offensive end, toward competitive basketball.
3) Zero voluntary transfers.

Coming from MG, who was born to play Hawkeye basketball, causes serious concern about #1. Based on body language in most games, it looks like he's just not having any fun. On the other hand, there have also been many games where he looks to be mailing it in.

Don't know his true state of mind behind these comments but suspect part of it is his own personal frustration at dealing with a bum ankle much of the B11 season, dissatisfaction with his own consistently sub-par performances -- to the point of sometimes being a liability due to his lapses in focus -- and generally feeling he (and most of the team) are pretty much overmatched in most games.

While Cole is having an equally sub-par season, at least he is speaking positively about the team chemistry, effort and buying into the plan for success.

As far as #2, there's no doubt improvement has occurred. Unfortunately, the peak came about 3 weeks ago and has since deteriorated to inconsistent, wild swings between competitive, focused execution and gouge your eyes out awful.

There has been exactly one guy who has consistently progressed / maintained his improvement from game to game -- Fuller. Payne and May (along with the other frosh) have hit the "wall" -- which is completely expected from true freshman. Bawinkel and L'il Lick never have belonged on D-1 courts so can't get blood from a stone, there. Most disappointing are MG and Cole -- especially their lapses in concentration (fumbilitis) and inability to consistently hit open looks. I'll write some of it off to being outsized and athletically overmatched but I still had higher expectations for these 2 to help drive the offense.

As for #3, I don't count Tucker. While I don't like how the situation was allowed to string out, his demise was his own doing -- twice! I'm much more concerned about the insinuations about guys like Brommer, who have the size and ability to develop into decent bench depth.

Overall, 3 weeks ago I would have said "check", "check", "check" on all 3 and been ready to see what TL could do with some added talent and depth next season. Based on MG's comments, I find myself saying "unacceptable" to #1, "somewhat" to #2 and "hope not" to #3. If he speaks for the team's true mind set and #3 comes to pass then the Lickliter era must end at 5 pm, March 11th, after the 3rd consecutive demolition at the hands of Michigan.

Just more evidence Lick has lost this team! They don't even have pride anymore!

I disagree. Talking with them on Sunday night, they are all still very much behind this program, this school, and this coach. Even if the same can't be said by its fans.

I can really empathize with where Matt and likely the rest of this team are mentally.

In high school I played football for Des Moines North during their 0-51 losing streak. I was "fortunate" enough to play varsity for 3 years. Even with such a dismal record I still look back fondly at the time. I enjoyed representing my school, and the fans, (parents and classmates) who showed up to support us. I still took pride in my team and my performance/effort.

However, I hated..... hated losing. I would get so frustrated that by the end of the season I was sick of it. For three years I started off the season thinking we would get it together this year. For three years we had the same dismal results. Yet I never, ever considered quitting or giving up. It just wasn't in my make-up.

I think Matt is in the exact same spot.... feeling frustrated, seemingly having the whole world laughing at you, and worse of all not having anything worthwhile goal to play for at this point.

My point... It may seem like they've given up. And maybe they have, but only on this season. I wouldn't read into it as Matt wants to leave the program. Just that he wants the season to be done and begin preparation for next year.

Last edited:
And here's the whole quote:

"Obviously, we keep track of it because it's our record," sophomore guard Matt Gatens said of losing 20 games for the first time in school history. "It's not fun at all. And you get really sick of it. Hopefully, it's motivation to keep working and go get them on Sunday."

I disagree. Talking with them on Sunday night, they are all still very much behind this program, this school, and this coach. Even if the same can't be said by its fans.

Maybe if you get a real coach in town with a clue as how to coach that might happen....however with the clown we have now nobody wants to watch this garbage...

And here's the whole quote:

"Obviously, we keep track of it because it's our record," sophomore guard Matt Gatens said of losing 20 games for the first time in school history. "It's not fun at all. And you get really sick of it. Hopefully, it's motivation to keep working and go get them on Sunday."

That's just wrong to take a quote like that out of context.

Latest posts