Maryland, Rutgers to B1G?

With Rutgers you get the NYC market and Maryland gets Baltimore and DC markets. Both schools will be able to pay for themselves and make everyone else more money. I have been predicting Rutgers to the B1G for a long time, they are a good fit financially and academically. Personally I would rather have seen Missouri added over Maryland but the St Louis and KC market would barely pay for Missouri.

In NYC, it goes like this:

Giants
Yankees
Knicks
Jets
Knicks
Mets
Rangers
Devils
Nets
Islanders
Syracuse
UConn
Rutgers

It gets TV sets for cable to have to have BTN, but it doesn't get ratings.

Wonder how this would affect divisions and our coveted rivalry game with Purdue. On the bright side it might mean a larger gap in the years we have to play OSU...Or it could put them in our division. Would be interested in seeing how this would break down.

Illinois will be sent West

In NYC, it goes like this:

Giants
Yankees
Knicks
Jets
Knicks
Mets
Rangers
Devils
Nets
Islanders
Syracuse
UConn
Rutgers

It gets TV sets for cable to have to have BTN, but it doesn't get ratings.

Missing Whalers and Liberty above Rutgers. Plus Seton Hall and St Johns for basketball.

You are missing it.

Nobody in NY or NJ has to watch Rutgers on the Big Ten Network.

They just have to pay for it on their cable bill.

And I'd add Staten Island Yankees and Brooklyn Cyclones above Rutgers. Plus I think Barnstormers moved to LI.

How about Leaders can have Maryland and Rutgers, and Legends can get Illannoy and Wiscy. Two good rivalries back on our schedule.

If the BoneG's intention truly was to go to 14 they should have done it in 2010 when the first round was taking place. Now your options are fairly limited as you're not going to pull any teams like Mizzou from the SEC and the Big 12 teams have a massive penalty attached now. Maryland and Rutgers were probably the best two choices left on the board.

If Delany called Mizzou tonight and gave them a chance to join the B1G, they'd be part of the announcement next week.

Why in the hell would the Big Ten want those nobodies? There's no eleventh dimension chess here, this is just stupidity on its face.

Can someone help me understand who would want to see Iowa play either one of those teams? Also, what does Rutgers and Maryland have in common with any other team in the B1G?

Sorry, the reason I ask is because I know NOTHING about either one of these schools.

AAU members, large land-grant public universities, contiguous with the current B1G (Pennsylvania)

Paterno campaigned for years to get another eastern team like Pitt, UMD, Rutgers, Syracuse added

Latest posts