Maryland, Rutgers to B1G?

There's no way the B10 puts Penn St, Michigan and Ohio St in the same division.

I think we've also learned there's no way the Big 10 splits it geographically. I can't wait to see how they shuffle things around. I'd see nothing wrong taking Illinois and giving them the two newbies, although have a gut feeling Wiscy would come our way.

Paves the way for the ACC to put the full court press on ND to come on board. They will be at 13 teams once Pitt and Cuse join.

Paves the way for the ACC to put the full court press on ND to come on board. They will be at 13 teams once Pitt and Cuse join.

I would say more like it paves the way for the ACC to become the new Big East after FSU and Clemson join the B12, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

LOL Wut???

Why?

I don't get it.

I'm with you two. I can understand the academic history and tradition, but as for football relevance… This makes absolutely no senses. This is two mediocre, at best, teams from two mediocre, at best, conferences. How can this be a big get for the Big Ten?
Outside of the giant stacks of moneys that each University will be getting, this would not be a big deal.

If the BoneG's intention truly was to go to 14 they should have done it in 2010 when the first round was taking place. Now your options are fairly limited as you're not going to pull any teams like Mizzou from the SEC and the Big 12 teams have a massive penalty attached now. Maryland and Rutgers were probably the best two choices left on the board.

If the BoneG's intention truly was to go to 14 they should have done it in 2010 when the first round was taking place. Now your options are fairly limited as you're not going to pull any teams like Mizzou from the SEC and the Big 12 teams have a massive penalty attached now. Maryland and Rutgers were probably the best two choices left on the board.

Mizzou would jump to the B1G in a heartbeat, IMO. I think they realize they do not fit very well in the SEC and I'm not just talking about the crappy year they've had, although I'm sure it would be appealing to not have to play SEC teams every week.

Rutgers would contend in whatever DA division Iowa is in and Maryland not that long ago was a program that won 8-10 games for a few years. This move would not hurt the BIG as I think they would look at the scheduling that the SEC does and model it more like that. The divisions now are not balanced whatsoever, so it would give the BIG a "redo" and redistribute accordingly. Maryland is a decent basketball school with a NC in their past, but are getting passed by NC State in recruiting, Rutgers has never been able to capitalize on their regional talent in basketball and playing in the BIG may be appealing to kids. The interesting part for bringing Maryland in is that it gives BIG schools more avenues the the DC area which is loaded with all kinds of talent every year.
I don't know how much this helps the BIG, but it certainly would not hurt it.

The additions are boring, but Conference Realignaggeddon III should be interesting.

Let's face it, all 12 ACC fans are snobby ******, watching them squirm will be entertaining.

I'm with you two. I can understand the academic history and tradition, but as for football relevance… This makes absolutely no senses. This is two mediocre, at best, teams from two mediocre, at best, conferences. How can this be a big get for the Big Ten?
Outside of the giant stacks of moneys that each University will be getting, this would not be a big deal.

All you need to know

Can someone help me understand who would want to see Iowa play either one of those teams? Also, what does Rutgers and Maryland have in common with any other team in the B1G?

Sorry, the reason I ask is because I know NOTHING about either one of these schools.

It is all about money guys, nothing else. The tv's in the NYC and DC areas are gold mines to the conference.

Can someone help me understand who would want to see Iowa play either one of those teams? Also, what does Rutgers and Maryland have in common with any other team in the B1G?

Huge state research universities in LARGE media markets.

I would like to see Iowa play Rutgers at Rutgers, because I love New York City and New Jersey is The Promised Land.

Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen. ...I'm just too lazy to search for my Big Ten Expansion posts from a couple of years ago...

I liked it better when Delany said running a conference isn't like fantasy football, that there is no point in adding teams for the sake of adding teams. Adding these two seems like adding teams for the sake of adding teams.

The Big Ten is down this year--we need some excitement. Nothing says excitement like Maryland's uniforms and the whole, wrecked state of New Jersey.

Maybe the conference can write-off the expansion as Hurricane Sandy relief.

390833997.png

We should think about something like this--it's like you're playing against two other teams.

I would like to see Iowa play Rutgers at Rutgers, because I love New York City and New Jersey is The Promised Land.

Don't know much about New Jersey, I've just seen the license plate. I imagine it as a picturesque utopia full of beautiful gardens. :D

Latest posts