Marcus Smart shoves a fan

I highly doubt he was saying he was sorry, considering it came just two seconds after he said something that apparently.

Watch it and look. I'm pretty sure that's what he's saying. Everyone is sure jumping to conclusions on this. The guy could have said "I hope you broke your leg Smart." Who knows. Whatever is said it's just words. Smart is a punk for going up there in the first place. Go play ball. IMO

I'm bouncing out of this thread. I think Smart is a punk. The guy he shoved may be a jerk. I don't really care about either of the teams in that game unless we play one of them in the NCAA Tournament...not sure either of them will be there.

Watch it and look. I'm pretty sure that's what he's saying. Everyone is sure jumping to conclusions on this. The guy could have said "I hope you broke your leg Smart." Who knows. Whatever is said it's just words. Smart is a punk for going up there in the first place. Go play ball. IMO

I have watched it. I also know that lip reading is extremely difficult (even people who do it all the time only catch something like 40% of English). Way too much of the English language doesn't involve facial movement to be effective at lip reading it. Look at the "bad lip reading" series on YouTube, and you'll see what I'm getting at; you know that the players aren't saying the things in the video, but based solely on lip reading, it's believable. But in this case, we have no idea at all what this guy was saying; all I can assume is that it would have had to be something pretty bad to get that kind of reaction.

That doesn't justify Smart's actions. He should have walked away, no question. But I highly doubt the fan was anything close to innocent in this case.

I highly doubt he was saying he was sorry, considering it came just two seconds after he said something that apparently ****** Smart the **** off. If he was indeed saying that, it was only because he was peeing his pants after seeing the look in Smart's eyes. Even worse than a racist/or whatever he qualifies as, is being a cowardly version of that. I can at least draw up a minute amount of respect for an ignorant person who sticks to what they believe when threatened with violence. But someone who takes potshots and doesn't have the guts to stick to his words when the other person stands up for themselves deserves zero respect on any level.

Wow, do you project much. By the fan's appearance I'm sure he is a fat slug that probably can't waddle 100 yards, but now you have him projected as a racist and a coward. It doesn't matter what was said, a player can't go into the stands. I hope the Big 12 evaluates the situation a little differently then you.

Wow, do you project much. By the fan's appearance I'm sure he is a fat slug that probably can't waddle 100 yards, but now you have him projected as a racist and a coward. It doesn't matter what was said, a player can't go into the stands. I hope the Big 12 evaluates the situation a little differently then you.

I don't believe Smart will be spared suspension, nor do I believe he should be. But players don't typically react like that to run of the mill trash talk. The rumor going around is that the guy dropped an N-bomb on him. I also fail to see what the man's physical appearance/abilities have to do with what he may/may not have said or what he believes.

Pretty sure that when you were describing the fans behavior you were basing that off how he was reacting in a physical sense.

Pretty sure that when you were describing the fans behavior you were basing that off how he was reacting in a physical sense.

Under the hypothetical that he did, in fact, say something like that that crosses the line.

Under the hypothetical that he did, in fact, say something like that that crosses the line.
It completely crosses the line and is inappropriate, and in the social world we live, expose the guy for it, but that still doesn't allow a player to go into the stands. Unfortunately, I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time Smart has been called a extremely derogatory name, if that was even the case.

It completely crosses the line and is inappropriate, and in the social world we live, expose the guy for it, but that still doesn't allow a player to go into the stands. Unfortunately, I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time Smart has been called a extremely derogatory name, if that was even the case.

Like I said, Smart shouldn't have done what he did and should absolutely face stiff punishment. I wouldn't object to suspending him for the rest of the season, if for no other reason than to establish an absolute zero tolerance policy for this kind of behavior, regardless of the justification. But I also don't think he's some kind of psychopath that jumps into the stands on a whim. It might not have been racial, but it wasn't nothing, either.

Look at the pattern boys. Look at that other video by CHShawk (nice catch btw). Looks like Orr's MO to me. My first reaction was that the fan must've said something pretty bad for a player to react that way. Let's face it, these guys hear all sorts of things everyday so it wasn't some little thing I'm sure. Does it excuse Smart for going into the stands? No. But I think there is a lot of fault on Orr and he shouldn't be allowed in the stadium again. Would you want a fan representing Iowa spouting off like that in Carver every game?

What a disaster his season and Okie State's season has been. It was just last week that Cyclone fans were degrading and calling Iowa's win at Ohio State a total joke but after Iowa State won at Oklahoma State on Monday they were calling that win historic and epic. Yeah about that. What a bunch of hypocrites.

What does this thread have to do with ISU?

There has to be zero tolerance for this kind of behavior. No matter what a moronic fan says, you can't allow players to go after a fan. You simply can't open Pandora's Box on this one. If a player goes after the wrong fan, in the wrong crowd, on the wrong night, you could end up with a riot on your hands. Once that invisible barrier between fan and athlete is broken, the potential is there for all hell to break loose. I expect them to come down extremely hard on Marcus Smart for this simple reason. An example will be made.

Like I said, Smart shouldn't have done what he did and should absolutely face stiff punishment. I wouldn't object to suspending him for the rest of the season, if for no other reason than to establish an absolute zero tolerance policy for this kind of behavior, regardless of the justification. But I also don't think he's some kind of psychopath that jumps into the stands on a whim. It might not have been racial, but it wasn't nothing, either.

He probably called him what every ISU fan was calling him on message boards after Monday's game.....A POS flopper. If you think this fan deserved that, then get ready to say that every last ISU fan deserves Smart to do that in Ames, as they are gonna be all over his AZZ in that game. This is big time D1 college sports. You don't go shoving people, cause they they get on you.

Smart's punishment----One game suspension and mandatory enrollment in Fran McCaffery School of Anger Management.

Latest posts