Marcus Smart shoves a fan

Annoying fans getting attacked by players doesn't really annoy me like it should.

The second video was interesting. I wonder what he said to Smart.

If you're a big fat old dude with an attitude sitting in the first row, you should realize that those guys actually could come and knock you into next week. There's no barrier.

The OSU guy is prolly a tool, but I have no sympathy for the TTU fan.

I pretty much suck at reading lips, i have looked at that video clip several times and I still do not know what he said.

Lol geez this thread is taking a weird turn. Let's not turn this into a psychology debate.

Smart is... Well not very Smart. It begins and ends with that. Was the fan an idiot? Sure he was, but it really doesn't matter what was said. A player can not go after a fan. I guarantee you whatever was said is not something that hasn't already been said to thousands and thousands of other players. What's the difference here? Marcus Smart couldn't handle it like most players can.

I'm not justifying the fans behavior, but a player needs to be able to stay under control. So what a fat stupid fan yelled something at you. Remind yourself who you are and where you are going in life. Then take the high road. Making idiotic decisions like this one will hurt his draft stock. Which affects his career, and in turn affects his life. Gotta be better than that.

When someone continually attacks you with verbal assaults, setting physical boundaries may in fact be the correct response. The sticks and stones perspective was something that someone pulled out of thin air. It's simplicity made sense to common people, as simple things often do. It also fit with the "talk it out" counseling perspective that pervaded middle-class America over the last third of the last century. Like any predominant ideology, it just seemed natural, so nobody actually thought to test if the idea was in fact founded on any solid grounds. Accordingly, schools developed zero tolerance policies on physical violence.

However, if you look at things like Iowa named chair Professor Leslie Baxter's work on the manner by which girls exert emotional violence on each other, you quickly realize the no physical altercation policy was a gender biased approach to conflict. Boys push other boys to indicate enough is enough. Girls do things like spread nasty rumors, gang up to insult particular ones on social media and in person, create social isolation, etc. The research shows that one altercation usually solves the issue for boys and they often end up being friends afterward. This is not the case for girls, because their goal is complete social and psychological annihilation. The problem is that we punish boys for dealing with their issues in a fairly effective manner, while we ignore what's going on with girls.

Small wonder that as soon as we see these no-tolerance for physical altercation policies go into effect that boys start falling off the cliff in education.

My sense is that the superfan type feels protected to lash out at the types of boys he was afraid to stand up against in school.
I think Marcus smart may have just solved world peace.

Fanatics, think they have every right to do whatever they want just because they paid for a ticket. That two chinned fool is lucky Smart didn't right cross him and his 300 lb wife.

Not a smart move by Smart stooping to the level of a guy who should be on "The Biggest Loser" but sometimes in the life the clown with the big mouth needs to eat a fist to shut it up.[/QUOTE

I agree. There's no excuse for Smart's behavior, but based on the two videos, this big ol guy could act like an adult.

I pretty much suck at reading lips, i have looked at that video clip several times and I still do not know what he said.

This would be a much more interesting discussion if we knew what he said, wouldn't it?

I've read a few places on OSU board that just before the push the fans says
"I'm sorry about that." And then gets shoved.

marcus-smart-shoved-a-texas-tech-fan.gif%3Fw%3D500%26h%3D277%26crop%3D1

If I'm reading the fans lips right he's saying "Hey sorry about that." I'm not sticking up for the fan...just saying Smart doesn't have any character IMO.

That's because you didn't lip read what initially set Smart off, as the fan was out of the picture.

Honestly, though Artest's actions weren't all that bad, either. He got hit with a beer/bottle from close range by the fan he went after. Stephen Jackson was the one who was throwing the real haymakers that night.

No, Artest went after the wrong person.

So according to reports Orr said "Go back to Africa n*****." If that happened then I applaud Smart for his restraint. He should have caved that old man's face in.

Dr. Martin Luther King would support your support of violent action to defeat racist words. Goodness.....

When someone continually attacks you with verbal assaults, setting physical boundaries may in fact be the correct response. The sticks and stones perspective was something that someone pulled out of thin air. It's simplicity made sense to common people, as simple things often do. It also fit with the "talk it out" counseling perspective that pervaded middle-class America over the last third of the last century. Like any predominant ideology, it just seemed natural, so nobody actually thought to test if the idea was in fact founded on any solid grounds. Accordingly, schools developed zero tolerance policies on physical violence.

However, if you look at things like Iowa named chair Professor Leslie Baxter's work on the manner by which girls exert emotional violence on each other, you quickly realize the no physical altercation policy was a gender biased approach to conflict. Boys push other boys to indicate enough is enough. Girls do things like spread nasty rumors, gang up to insult particular ones on social media and in person, create social isolation, etc. The research shows that one altercation usually solves the issue for boys and they often end up being friends afterward. This is not the case for girls, because their goal is complete social and psychological annihilation. The problem is that we punish boys for dealing with their issues in a fairly effective manner, while we ignore what's going on with girls.

Small wonder that as soon as we see these no-tolerance for physical altercation policies go into effect that boys start falling off the cliff in education.

My sense is that the superfan type feels protected to lash out at the types of boys he was afraid to stand up against in school.

So what you are saying is that we need a Smart v. Old Fat Fan cage match.

Remember back in the day when talking **** equaled busted lips? I guess nowadays fans get to cower behind the "players should know better" shield.

Smart should be suspended the rest of the year and Anything less that is a slap on the wrist. I don't care what was said to him, you don't cross that line.

Jeff Orr should be suspended from attending the remainder of the games this season and next, When his suspension is complete he returns and gets new seats well away from the court.

Last edited:

Latest posts