Marcus Paige

I hope that Marcus and his dad keep an open mind. Either lickball succeeds next year and CHA is rocking again,or he will be gone and the next guy might play a system that Marcus will thrive in...once a hawk..stay a hawk,marcus.
Worry more about mom than dad; she is the one that will play a big part in her son's decision. Fortunately, she is a Hawkeye fan and all things equal would be most happy with him at Iowa. But she also knows more about the recruiting game and as in the old cliche has probably forgotten more than we will ever know---and she will not favor any situation that is not best for her kids.

One of my friends is best friends with him and he says there is no chance he will go to iowa.

Ask your friend to ask Marcus to keep an open mind...and remember his Iowa allegiance. He still has two years to make a decision...be patient.

Paige's mom is the very successful, very astute coach at Marion HS where Mitch's sister Morgan is a bigtime talent...on her way to play at Wisconsin.

The key factor in the decision, however, is that she didn't get the offer from Bluder that she & mom wanted very much. The problem was/is simply one of numbers: with Alexander only a junior, Draxten a sophomore (as was Jones at the time of LOI offers), and Printy, Taylor & Nesbitt true freshmen there was/is exceptional depth of exceptional talent in the Hawkeye backcourt. Bluder could not hold out the prospect that Morgan would get playing time very soon. On the other hand, the situation at Madison provides her a great opportunity to step in right away and start for four years.

There is absolutely no ill feeling about the lack of an offer from Iowa. Bluder herself is from Marion, she & Gaffney-Paige are good friends, and the family are ardent Hawkeye fans. Mom not only is a very perceptive basketball mind, but she guides her kids carefully--a reason why Mitch plays for LinnMar instead of Marion.

The big question that probably most affects whether Mitch Paige becomes a Hawkeye is what Lickliter does with respect to recruiting another point guard now or next year. My guess is that if Iowa uses the schollie opened by Tucker's departure for a juco like Willliams or Alexander that would leave a good situation for Paige to be a Hawkeye in 2011--but if Lickliter brings in the HS kid from southern Mizzou this Spring or recruits a HS PG next year, Paige will look elsewhere...like Northwestern (or another program similarly blessed with an outstanding coach at a top academic school).

What won't be a negative (quite the contrary) is if the Hawkeyes are able to win the battle for Moline's 2G Chaisson Randle (and given the turmoil and downwared spiral of the Iowa State program--and the prospect that McDermott's tenure could be in jeopardy, the Hawkeye chances are better IF there is an open schollie IAT the one that will be targeted to a big man as first priority). Being part of a backcourt with Randle has to be very appealing to Paige--but that is mere speculation on my part.

That's a lot to write about a kid who may not exist.

Latest posts