Marble is pissed

I saw a tweet from Devyn in the last week where he said he doesn't even watch college basketball............what the?????????????????

Interesting. Garza now has been player of the year by Sporting News (first of many to come) for the 2nd year in a row.

Basically, Garza will be a consensus player of the year for 2 consecutive years. That is unprecedented in Iowa history. That is why they retired his number.

How many Iowa players have had their numbers retired? If Marble compares to those previous players, he should have his number retired. If he doesn't, he shouldn't.

This. My dad died in '07 and about a year after I was in a hometown bar that my circle of people frequents. (which was also my dad's hometown). Anyway, there's a older dude who I knew didn't like my old man, going way back to when they were both teenagers. He didn't know I was his kid, and stated chatting me up a little bit. Eventually he got friendlier and asked who my dad was (we'll call him "Tom" for purposes of this post), and I said, "Tom Doe." He goes, "Oh I knew Tom from way back in the day!" and I just let it ride. Said he was sorry to hear he died which I knew wasn't the case.

Later on that night after he had enough velvet Cokes in him he started getting loud-mouthy like I always knew him to be as a kid and he was giving me the stink eye. I knew he was just waiting to say something dumb but he didn't quite have enough courage in him yet, but a few minutes later he did and then he starts trashing my old man like a fuckin idiot. Again, luckily I was sober so I didn't do anything stupid, but I'll admit I did threaten to murder the guy if he didn't shut up, and I half meant it. I don't think to that point I had ever been so pissed off in my life...ears started ringing and I got that buzzed up feeling in my face like I had just popped a couple pain pills. Anybody ever got that pissed off before? Wanted to rip the guy limb from limb. His friends hauled him out, and my friends took me in the back room to shoot pool and it was over.

Anyway, about 2 weeks later he's walking his little white, teacup poodle looking thing down the sidewalk past my buddy's house where we were in the garage hangin' out. Comes walking up the driveway with his stupid dog and sits down talking to us like nothing ever happened. He had absolutely no memory of it and I didn't say anything. To this day he has no idea how close he came to getting at rip to the dentist which wouldn't have been hard as hammered as he was lol.

I've seen several interviews where Fran says he loved Roy and got to know him as a real friend while he was alive. He had nothing but good things to say about him and one of those interviews was within the past week or so when people were asking about the record being broken.

To be clear, my earlier post wasn't intended to mean the guy was a POS. I'm sure he was a good dude and I believe what Fran says about him. But everyone has their demons and he let himself get pulled over the top unfortunately.
Oh yes. I lost my mom when I was 8 and kids at that age (and the rest of my childhood for that matter) can be absolute dicks. I was a bitter kid at times. Wasn't very good at processing that and resented my old man for remarrying a couple years later. I took out a lot of shit on her which sure as hell wasn't her fault. So yeah I can relate to the pent up just angry at the world mindset. Their were plenty of times where it wouldn't have taken much to have set me off either. Not just as a young kid but even later. I probably needed a shrink but far be it to get one of those in the late 80s/90s in NW Iowa when my Dad wouldn't have had the $ for it anyway.

I saw a tweet from Devyn in the last week where he said he doesn't even watch college basketball............what the?????????????????
I'm not sure I believe that. He'd also tweeted out something about Juwan Howard doing a good job at Michigan. I think he's in the loop on what's all been going on anyway. Whether he's watching games from tip to the buzzer or not I dunno but he's not totally oblivious to what's gone on.

I'm not sure I believe that. He'd also tweeted out something about Juwan Howard doing a good job at Michigan. I think he's in the loop on what's all been going on anyway. Whether he's watching games from tip to the buzzer or not I dunno but he's not totally oblivious to what's gone on.

I believe it, when you follow his tweets he mostly talks about the Michigan pro sports teams, and even his commet on Juwann is about Michigan. Dev was a great Hawkeye, I don't question that, but he seems to have distanced himself somewhat from the Iowa BB program. Even when he was playing and afterwards, have you ever heard him say how great he thinks the U of Iowaa is? I haven't.

I might ask this question, why would BJ Armstrong's jersey be retired and not Roy's?

I believe it, when you follow his tweets he mostly talks about the Michigan pro sports teams, and even his commet on Juwann is about Michigan. Dev was a great Hawkeye, I don't question that, but he seems to have distanced himself somewhat from the Iowa BB program. Even when he was playing and afterwards, have you ever heard him say how great he thinks the U of Iowaa is? I haven't.

I might ask this question, why would BJ Armstrong's jersey be retired and not Roy's?
I think you know the answer to that question.

Well BJ is as squeaky clean of a human being there is. Roy was far from that. Impact wise on the court they were similar. They helped make each other in a lot of ways. It's easy to see why.

Does the university have a set of guidelines that states when to retire a jersey for a player or is it just we feel like this is the guy who deserves this honor based on his accomplishments? Seems like when you try to do something nice for someone it's going to make someone else feel they got jobbed. Mom always taught me ,"You can't please everyone so don't even try to."

Does the university have a set of guidelines that states when to retire a jersey for a player or is it just we feel like this is the guy who deserves this honor based on his accomplishments? Seems like when you try to do something nice for someone it's going to make someone else feel they got jobbed. Mom always taught me ,"You can't please everyone so don't even try to."
No I don't think they do and that's kinda why things have gotten to where they are... Whenever there's subjectivity and objectivity involved it opens the door for debate

Would anyone want Pierce's jersey or number retired had he stayed with the team and became the all time leading scorer?

Didn't think so. Character and off the court behavior has to play a part in these type of things, not just scoring.

I'm not even sure if this is Barta's fault but man, that guy continues to survive PR nightmares.

For f**ks sake, the moment on Sunday was all about Luka, and that's where it needs to stay. I enjoyed watching both Marbles as Hawkeyes, Roy Sr perhaps more so because that was one of the special teams that could have gone all the way. But the timing of this is selfish. While an argument can be made, make it when it doesn't steal the spotlight from a peer.

For f**ks sake, the moment on Sunday was all about Luka, and that's where it needs to stay. I enjoyed watching both Marbles as Hawkeyes, Roy Sr perhaps more so because that was one of the special teams that could have gone all the way. But the timing of this is selfish. While an argument can be made, make it when it doesn't steal the spotlight from a peer.
I'm not sure he planned on anything. It just kinda came out in conversation. Clearly he didn't care if it came out or consider timing, but it didn't seem like he planned anything.

This thing is not too hard to understand, really. Go back to 2015. With pressure mounting on Barta to honor Roy Marble, he responded with a statement: "I don't envision retiring any more jerseys or numbers in any sports" Instead, a wall of honor would be constructed in Carver (which Barta acknowledged today in his presser was the plan, and that the plan has not been fulfilled). Barta did not publicly state there was an unmet criteria (which he did today) for retirements of numbers and jerseys. He said the department would not do it again.
He likely did not anticipate Megan or Luka. Few would have. I doubt few anticipated Caitlin Clark, either.
However, in 2015 he did not state Roy missed a criteria, or discuss what that criteria is. Making that criteria known would be a very appropriate way to handle the entire situation. But Barta did not do that. Instead, he responded with not wanting to retire any more numbers — ever — and an idea of a wall of fame.
Five years later, two athletes have had their numbers retired. Just as, if not more, deserving of the honor as anyone who ever played for Iowa.
The Marble family looked on, with the context of being told that the honor was not given to Roy because the department was not going to do it, for anyone.
Today speculation has included that Roy's behavior in the 1990s and 2000s has something to do with it. Again, look at how quickly Luka and Megan were honored. If post-college life is to be considered for the retirement honor, that was waived in both cases.
This occurred against the backdrop of a scandalous 2020 summer for the athletic department, a summer that can and will only add frustration and anger to any all situations that arise.
So ... if it were you sitting in Dev's chair, how the heck would you feel? If I sat in in his chair I'd be more than a little salty.
I don't sit in his chair. I'm just a guy who grew up going to games and meets in the Field House, followed by Carver. And I feel pretty frustrated with Barta on this one. All of this could have been handled much, much better by a guy who is paid to handle it much, much better.
And yes, it is on Barta. He was the one who made statements in 2015. He's the one who made statements about the criteria today, without discussing the criteria in public. He was the one to put a hasty ceremony together that was very underwhelming as a Hawkeye great fought cancer and death. He is the one who could very easily fix a perceived error of omission by Bowlsby and former staff, or throw them under the bus, but refuses to do either one.
If there is a criteria for retirements, let people outside of the department know what that criteria is. I guarantee that Megan and Luka met it — how could they not have? If Roy met it, give him the honoring he earned and deserved. If Roy did not, the conversation can end, right then and right there.
Will putting the criteria out there soften the hurt for Devyn and family? Doubtful. Will it help the fanbase with questions? Yes.
Is it a step forward in handling this better? Yes.
Most importantly, quit making statements like the one made in 2015. At the time it was patronizing as best. Today it appears to be a pretty big blunder.

My god...the University can pay an administrator $250K to manage artwork in University owned buildings ...but they can't hire a Public Relations department that knows what the hell they are doing?

This would have been anticipated and the Garza thing would have been changed to an event after his career...maybe next year. It should have. Garza is still playing...he's got two tournaments to play. What, are they going to let him wear 55 now? They are such morons.

Marble's family has a right to be angry. It's got nothing to do with Luka being deserving...and I'm sure the Marble family feels that way...it's about respect. The Marbles are Iowa basketball royalty in my book...you have to respect that.

This thing is not too hard to understand, really. Go back to 2015. With pressure mounting on Barta to honor Roy Marble, he responded with a statement: "I don't envision retiring any more jerseys or numbers in any sports" Instead, a wall of honor would be constructed in Carver (which Barta acknowledged today in his presser was the plan, and that the plan has not been fulfilled). Barta did not publicly state there was an unmet criteria (which he did today) for retirements of numbers and jerseys. He said the department would not do it again.
He likely did not anticipate Megan or Luka. Few would have. I doubt few anticipated Caitlin Clark, either.
However, in 2015 he did not state Roy missed a criteria, or discuss what that criteria is. Making that criteria known would be a very appropriate way to handle the entire situation. But Barta did not do that. Instead, he responded with not wanting to retire any more numbers — ever — and an idea of a wall of fame.
Five years later, two athletes have had their numbers retired. Just as, if not more, deserving of the honor as anyone who ever played for Iowa.
The Marble family looked on, with the context of being told that the honor was not given to Roy because the department was not going to do it, for anyone.
Today speculation has included that Roy's behavior in the 1990s and 2000s has something to do with it. Again, look at how quickly Luka and Megan were honored. If post-college life is to be considered for the retirement honor, that was waived in both cases.
This occurred against the backdrop of a scandalous 2020 summer for the athletic department, a summer that can and will only add frustration and anger to any all situations that arise.
So ... if it were you sitting in Dev's chair, how the heck would you feel? If I sat in in his chair I'd be more than a little salty.
I don't sit in his chair. I'm just a guy who grew up going to games and meets in the Field House, followed by Carver. And I feel pretty frustrated with Barta on this one. All of this could have been handled much, much better by a guy who is paid to handle it much, much better.
And yes, it is on Barta. He was the one who made statements in 2015. He's the one who made statements about the criteria today, without discussing the criteria in public. He was the one to put a hasty ceremony together that was very underwhelming as a Hawkeye great fought cancer and death. He is the one who could very easily fix a perceived error of omission by Bowlsby and former staff, or throw them under the bus, but refuses to do either one.
If there is a criteria for retirements, let people outside of the department know what that criteria is. I guarantee that Megan and Luka met it — how could they not have? If Roy met it, give him the honoring he earned and deserved. If Roy did not, the conversation can end, right then and right there.
Will putting the criteria out there soften the hurt for Devyn and family? Doubtful. Will it help the fanbase with questions? Yes.
Is it a step forward in handling this better? Yes.
Most importantly, quit making statements like the one made in 2015. At the time it was patronizing as best. Today it appears to be a pretty big blunder.
If what say is true about what Barta said in 2015 regarding jerseys retiring, it would seem he has stepped on his own dick.

Maybe, just maybe in 2015 when asked why they weren't going to retire Roy's number Barta didn't feel like saying they were going to but then he went and choked out his girlfriend last year. But because he was dieing they knew they wanted to do something for him and the fans, but didn't have the full support of the university.

This bullshit story was on espn...

Does young marble have a beef? Maybe,,,but i find this all to be a giant gag fest.

Oh you didn;t love him as much as the other guy...

Hate this story and everything about it...

This is about the University, The Iowa Athletic Department, the Athletic Director being flat out STUPID. There is a way to handle things and it needs to be planned, well thought out and executed to bring the Iowa program and it's alumni together. This was not.

Whether you like it or not...this just comes across to some as just another racist action by the Athletic Department...that's why Barta is in spin mode right now. I'm not saying that was their intent...I'm saying they are STUPID and don't deserve to be running a Department with a budget of $10, let alone one that is $130 million.

In my mind...Barta has to go. He's not smart enough to run that department.

Latest posts