Malik Williams

Would be a huge get for Fran. Him and Cook banging around the inside in a few years along with Moss, Hutton, Wagner, Bohannon, Williams etc...yeah I'll take that.
And just Wait till you see Weiskamp shoot it! Same size as Jok and strokes it like him too. And Weiskamp is one of the smartest players I've seen.

Having kids with the versatility to play both inside and out effectively.makes the offense more difficult to defend. Hopefully, this kid can continue the tradition that Uthoff/White have built under Fran.

I remember reading somewhere that Williams wanted to go to a place where he could play more on the perimeter as opposed to banging inside. I don't really remember where I saw this, but you have to think Jarrod's performance gave the kid a big impression.

I wouldn't want 15 kids on the team. 8 or 9 would play and the rest would be frustrated and possibly/likely transfer.

I disagree, Fran needs to bring in as much talent as allowed. Injuries can happen and depth is always a good thing, use the redshirt for those that don't win a role.

people love to spend other people's money.... it's just so easy isn't it?

Fran's kids could get a scholly at just about any school in the country. They'll have earned it so why take it away from the kid or the family? Does Fran not sacrifice enough for Iowa that he needs to pay for his kids to attend too?

people love to spend other people's money.... it's just so easy isn't it?

Fran's kids could get a scholly at just about any school in the country. They'll have earned it so why take it away from the kid or the family? Does Fran not sacrifice enough for Iowa that he needs to pay for his kids to attend too?
Agreed. If they deserve a scholarship (and they do!) give them one. If Fran wants to make a nice gesture and pay his kid's way, I would applaud that. I wouldn't expect it. At some point, having too many players is a negative. There are only so many minutes.

The way Fran is getting avg prospects to play as a team is wonderful. I'm not sure I want to attract the top 50, ball hogging Divas that would jeapordize that.
These guys are SRs/JRs and they understand their roles.
I'd give Baer a scholly in a NY minute before I'd slight him for another prospect. That's just my opinion, of course.

How do we know he's a Diva?

Someone would probably transfer and the problem would be solved. Maybe Fran has a sit-down with someone and encourages him to transfer so he can get more PT elsewhere.

I'm not sure I want to attract the top 50, ball hogging Divas that would jeapordize that.

Fran knows what he's doing. I remember reading that Fran talks to the players about a recruit after their visit to see if they are a good fit. Read more on Williams and I think you will be pulling for him to pick Iowa.

I wold love for Williams to suit up as a Hawkeye. He may be seven foot by the time he would hit campus. And he can play the perimeter and knock down threes....? Yes please!!! My opinion is that unless Fran chooses to pay for his kids to attend the University of Iowa, Connor and Patrick absolutely deserve to get scholarships. And so do Fran and his wife.

Agreed. If they deserve a scholarship (and they do!) give them one. If Fran wants to make a nice gesture and pay his kid's way, I would applaud that. I wouldn't expect it. At some point, having too many players is a negative. There are only so many minutes.

Do family members of coaches/faculty get free or discounted tuition? I thought it was one of the benefits of the job.

Do family members of coaches/faculty get free or discounted tuition? I thought it was one of the benefits of the job.

This was discussed in another thread. The answer at Iowa is no. Some private colleges are a member of The Tuition Exchange where dependents of faculty/staff get free tuition, but have to pay for housing, food, and books. Some are restricted as to how many can exchange out or in.

Again .. .. Iowa does not have that benefit.

GO HAWKS!!!

The way Fran is getting avg prospects to play as a team is wonderful. I'm not sure I want to attract the top 50, ball hogging Divas that would jeapordize that.
These guys are SRs/JRs and they understand their roles.
I'd give Baer a scholly in a NY minute before I'd slight him for another prospect. That's just my opinion, of course.

There are a couple of resources on this site (latest Miller/Howe podcast and an article by Howe) that address this. They both state that Williams is NOT a "ball hogging Diva", but rather wants to improve his game. Apparently, Fran & Co. told him what he needed to do to do that. He listened and is a better player now because of it.

Also according to both, Williams wants honesty from the coaches and a family atmosphere. The article states that MW and his mother spent a lot of time talking with the Tyler Cook family and really enjoyed themselves.

Getting Williams will be huge if F&C can pull it off. Maybe as big as the Woody/Gesell/Clemmons get.

GO HAWKS!!!

He seems to be a taller Uthoff more than a banger (at 6'11" 210lbs) but also has center skills inside and is a tremendous shot blocker as well. I'm not going to get into "who should be on scholly and who shouldn't", but I trust everyone involved in the program that this isn't going to be a problem at all.

It's funny you started this thread Dean when you just said Fran will never get a 5 star player.

http://247sports.com/Player/Malik-Williams-79502

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you misinterpreted what Dean was even saying there. I think his point was that Iowa wasn't going to be in the mix for many 5 star players. I agree with that. But there are obvious exceptions - In state kids who grow up wanting to be Hawkeyes, his kid, or someone Fran might have got in on so early that they end up sticking with him.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you misinterpreted what Dean was even saying there. I think his point was that Iowa wasn't going to be in the mix for many 5 star players. I agree with that. But there are obvious exceptions - In state kids who grow up wanting to be Hawkeyes, his kid, or someone Fran might have got in on so early that they end up sticking with him.

No he left out 5* recruits when talking about elite players because he said we can't get 5* recruits and can only get 4* recruits