Make Your Men's Basketball Prediction

12-20.........Predicting another 20 loss season. I guess the buzzword nowadays in sports is 'culture'. What I am looking for is not W/L this season.....I'm looking for is McCaffrey's ability to change the 'culture' around the Iowa bball program.......I'm looking for hope.

Speaking of culture.. Didn't Bobby Knight get Texas Tech to the NCAA tournament is his first year, after Tech was absolute dog meat the previous years?

I'm not making any predictions and certainly am not trying to make a comparison between Fran and Knight, and I also don't know what kind of talent Knight inherited at Tech...

BUT - my point is that a good coach can turn things around rather quickly and bring a new (and better) culture to a program right away. Tech was instantly much better as soon as Knight took over. So maybe it's not too much of a stretch to think we might possibly see at least some sort of positives in year 1 under McCaffery. Either way, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised this year. For me, a "pleasant surprise" would be around 15 wins or so, around .500 overall. But if that doesn't happen, I'm not going to throw Fran under the bus that soon. I still expect a rough year.

Last edited:
I'll actually be happy with 12-20. Shows improvement over last season. Realistically I think 15-18 wins.

I am looking for 14 or 15 wins. If we had one more post player that could bring a good defensive presence and was not undersized we could be NIT bound. Our back court is definitely not the problem. I am just excited to see them run the court more and have a coach that is willing to change things up in the middle of a game if it gives us a chance to win instead of burying us with poor decision making and sticking to his nonsense down the stretch.

Deanvogs:

I am not saying that FM's coaching will get us any more wins. I will reserve that judgment until I actually see his coaching. But, I do think he is strong enough to stem the predictable leadership struggles we will see pop up.

Same negtive guys predicting the same negative results. You guys all need to get together and tell each other how smart you are.

Wait! According to Matt and Miller we were all trying to figure out what seeding in the NCAA tounament we'd be after putting up 111 points in our exhibition game. Weird! I'm not seeing that enthusiasm here!?!

But really, I think this team is more talented than people are giving them credit. I think Lick's system did a really good job at hiding and depressing the talent guys like Gatens, May, and Payne really have. I also think many of you are underestimating the true transformation that can happen when the players enjoy their coach and the coach displays he believes in the players.

We're in for 15 wins or more.

I too think people are underestimating us. It is tough to stop a team who loves to run from scoring points. The challenge will be on the boards and on the defensive side of the court. But I see 15 wins as well.

In truth the only thing that is important this year is to be good enough to convince Marcus Paige and Adam Woodbury that they will be on national tv playing for the Hawks.

I too think people are underestimating us. It is tough to stop a team who loves to run from scoring points. The challenge will be on the boards and on the defensive side of the court. But I see 15 wins as well.

In truth the only thing that is important this year is to be good enough to convince Marcus Paige and Adam Woodbury that they will be on national tv playing for the Hawks.

That last sentence says it all. This year is more or less a year to show recruits what to expect. And, I think they'll like what they see.

18-12

Sun., Nov. 14 South Dakota State IOWA CITY 2:05 p.m. BTN
WIN
Tues., Nov. 16 Louisiana-Monroe IOWA CITY TBD BTN.com
WIN
Nov. 19 vs. Xavier St. Thomas 7:35 p.m. – - -
WIN
Nov. 20/21 vs. Alabama or Seton Hall St. Thomas 7:35/5:05 p.m. TBD
LOSS
Nov. 22 vs. Long Beach State; St. Peter’s; Clemson or Old Dominion St. Thomas TBD TBD
WIN
Fri., Nov. 26 SIU-Edwardsville IOWA CITY 5:35 p.m. BTN
WIN
Tues., Nov. 30 at Wake Forest # Winston-Salem, NC 6:05 p.m. ESPNU
WIN
Sat., Dec. 4 Idaho State IOWA CITY 12:35 p.m. BTN.com
WIN
Tues., Dec. 7 Northern Iowa IOWA CITY 7:05 p.m. BTN
WIN
Fri., Dec. 10 Iowa State ^ IOWA CITY 7:35 p.m. BTN
WIN
Sat., Dec. 18 at Drake Des Moines, IA 7:05 p.m. TBD