Major Violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby

The football and wrestling team members who were brought on stage by Trump committed a major violation of NCAA rules by endorsing him.

I don't care that they were involved but I do care if CJ is ineligible next year!

I didn't know that college athletes forfeited their right to political speech if they have a scholarship???

Three thoughts on this ...

1) Just because someone is at a rally (or even on stage) does not mean they are "endorsing" the candidate. None of the athletes spoke to the crowd. They may be hearing what the candidate has to say to see if they are even interested in voting for him/her.

2) This would be a very slippery slope for the NCAA as every National Championship football and basketball team in recent memory has gone to the White House to meet the President which is nothing more than political pandering no matter if it's a Republican or Democratic President.

3) There is also this thing called the first amendment, which would override any nitpick rule from the NCAA.

I'm not sure how that works. I don't see that being a violation of some kind but I could be wrong. Knowing the NCAA I guess we can't put anything past them

I guess KXNO is saying this?? Didn't realize that. Either way I can't imagine that the NCAA could shut down a scholarship athletes right to access the political process. I'd bet as long as the players didn't get money nothing can happen. Plus what is the definition of "endorsement"? So going to a political rally is an "endorsement" now? Far, far to grey of an area to even worry about IMO.

Don't shoot the messenger (Kirby). There are actually some news outlets reporting this as crazy as it seems.

Thank god we have the first amendment ... people should read it. :cool:

Not a smart move, regardless of political affiliation... but not an NCAA violation.

From the NCAA Advertising and Promotional Guidelines:

 Individuals, organizations or associations organized as a recognized not for profit,unless (1) the ad or association endorses a political candidate or party, or (2) the ad orassociation advocates a viewpoint on controversial issues of public importance. [Subitems(1) and (2) do not apply to television and radio advertising inasmuch as Federalrules/laws and networks’ broadcast practices and standards take precedence in regard topolitical ads and controversial topics, respectively.] P

http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/f...dvertisingpromotionalguidelines_july_2014.pdf

I guess KXNO is saying this?? Didn't realize that. Either way I can't imagine that the NCAA could shut down a scholarship athletes right to access the political process. I'd bet as long as the players didn't get money nothing can happen. Plus what is the definition of "endorsement"? So going to a political rally is an "endorsement" now? Far, far to grey of an area to even worry about IMO.
there is no way this is a violation of anything

I sure hope this isn't any sort of violation (hard to believe it is). Sure would be a waste to lose eligibility supporting someone as pathetic as the Donald.

Let me preface: no, I do not think there are any legit violations going on here.

But, those of you barking "1st amendment" this and that, clearly don't understand the entirety of freedom of speech. Freedom of speech does not necessarily mean freedom from any consequences.

All ********....if the politician pays players, has parties with hot chickies, buys them nice cars...House...
....WELL THEN !!!! Different story..
Oh, that be USC !!!BOTH
S.CAL. and south Car....

Hee hee hee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts