Magic Bus replacement denied permit

I don't need to drink to enjoy a hawkeye game so this really isnt a huge deal to me. Tailgating is stilll fun regardless. Talk to people, eat alot of beef, good times. When I was going we would hit the bars and hoof if over anyways. From the ped mall to the stadium on foot is only a 10 minute walk.

If somebody wants to quit going to games because they can't get liquored up in the parking lot then so be it. Hopefully you have good seats so I can take them over.

Its not the opportunity to get liquored up that most people will miss, its the atmosphere. Let's face it, if people aren't able to drink around the stadium, you will have most of the younger crowd (40 and under) without kids moving further away so that they can enjoy a few drinks while grilling and tailgating. Thats going to leave the immediate area around Kinnick to those that want a nice, quiet, relaxing tailgate and you'll be able to hear crickets walking up and down Melrose. This is what makes Iowa games unique, the amount of people that are just swarmed around the stadium, drinking or not. Ask people that come in from out of the area and different schools about their experience at Iowa and most will say it is incredible how close and how many tailgating spots are around the stadium. Now if they start cracking down on drinking, some will go to the bars (which still hurts the Melrose atmosphere), some will move further away from the stadium (also hurts Melrose), and some might just stay home (hurts Melrose and Kinnick).

I'm another who doesn't drink, but I do understand the affect that this sort of thing will have on the atmosphere around Kinnick, which I've always grown up knowing was second to none (except for maybe a few NFL stadiums). I have little doubt that the university is driving the bus on this, and it's really starting to tick me off. While the U is a great school (I'm a current student), it's not Harvard. Stop acting like you're so much Goddamn better than the rest of us!

I know for a fact that one of the houses on Melrose with NEVER be sold to the university.

Perhaps but the City has lots of ways to make life hard on a person. Alternately the University could buy up all the other properties across the street on Melrose and then decide that they want to build something there and then they could probably just take that last house through eminent domain, ya know 'for the public good'. One way or the other this is happening.

And after reading the aticle carefully they had no choice but to deny that thing. He basically looked at the code book and made sure to break every violation he could.

I agree, what were they supposed to say..."We denied the Magic Bus but now that you have paved your entire back yard, fenced it in and want a liquor lisence to serve alcohol in a residential neighboorhood 6-7 days a year, of course, go ahead, On Iowa!"????

My guess would be that if you have a temporary set-up (tent, table, grill) and don't serve/sell alcohol (food/clothing vendors) the city is more likely to grant you this mythichal temp. use permit.

Let's face it, whether the money goes to charity (Magic Bus) or your own pocket (Stadium Club), the city and the university DO NOT want people selling alcohol during tailgate. They also don't want people walking around the streets outside the stadium with open containers. If you can manage to bring your own food and beverage and tailgate behind your car like 90% of the Iowa fans, you should have a great time before every game. If not, drink at the Airliner until gametime and ride the Cambus.

Or permits were never issued...which is what my source (The owner of a food vendor), is saying is the problem. Enough of a problem, that he might stop vending food.

There are two sides to this story, and while I am in no way on the side of the Barkalow's, the Rugby Club is making sure through their actions that if they can't be there, no one will be. You will never see the Press Citizen Publish this side of the story.

Come on now, the Rugby Club is not the Devil here. It is the ICCC. All the Rugby club is asking is that everyone should be treated the same way. I would be doing the same thing. I think any reasonable person or organization would. Could there be collateral damages to the vendors? Yes, but you need to look at the ICCC and not the Magic Bus for the reasoning for this.

Come on now, the Rugby Club is not the Devil here. It is the ICCC. All the Rugby club is asking is that everyone should be treated the same way. I would be doing the same thing. I think any reasonable person or organization would. Could there be collateral damages to the vendors? Yes, but you need to look at the ICCC and not the Magic Bus for the reasoning for this.

Agreed.

I know from experience with the non-profit organization I'm involved with that the selling of alcohol creates a whole new ballgame for vendors. The STATE gets involved with those permits and certain requirements must be met (exits, restricted serving/consumption areas, fire codes etc...) even if the event is located outside.

Iowa City's City Council has to approve all permit applications and renewals. They get a lot of pressure from the State of Iowa to make sure all requirements are met.

Having said all that, the rules and requirements the State of Iowa insists upon have grown dramatically the last few years. It's absolutely insane how many new rules there are. I'm guessing Iowa City is starting to feel the pressure. Melrose might become a victim to politics and rules/laws designed to protect us from ourselves.

I look forward to the day when people stop going to Iowa games to protest some rational alcohol laws. Iowa City can enforce the laws as it sees fit. You can stay home and get **** drunk on your couch and break your own ****.

It would be assanine to think the "control" that the university and city are trying to create around the stadium will not have an affect on the entire atmosphere of game day, including the game itself. No, I don't think the players would put forth less effort if there were no vendors or alcohol, but how can anyone justify it would be nearly as exciting in and around the stadium? No, people do not need to drink to have fun. Yes, alcohol is and always will be a part of tailgating.

I also clearly understand that the university can make decisions regarding it's own property, but didn't they create this themselves? No one held a gun to their head and forced them to look the other way all of these years.

So for all of the overpaid(even if it's minimum wage) university and city hypocrits, go ahead and make your ridiculous "rules", but while you're at it maybe take a little time to prevent dead people from buying season tickets.

**please note that sarcasm is included within my OPINION above**

I don't need to drink to enjoy a hawkeye game so this really isnt a huge deal to me. Tailgating is stilll fun regardless. Talk to people, eat alot of beef, good times. When I was going we would hit the bars and hoof if over anyways. From the ped mall to the stadium on foot is only a 10 minute walk.

If somebody wants to quit going to games because they can't get liquored up in the parking lot then so be it. Hopefully you have good seats so I can take them over.

Since when has alcohol been illegal? I have enjoyed it legally for 25 years.

Don't tread on my good times. Please and thank you.

Its not the opportunity to get liquored up that most people will miss, its the atmosphere. Let's face it, if people aren't able to drink around the stadium, you will have most of the younger crowd (40 and under) without kids moving further away so that they can enjoy a few drinks while grilling and tailgating. Thats going to leave the immediate area around Kinnick to those that want a nice, quiet, relaxing tailgate and you'll be able to hear crickets walking up and down Melrose. This is what makes Iowa games unique, the amount of people that are just swarmed around the stadium, drinking or not. Ask people that come in from out of the area and different schools about their experience at Iowa and most will say it is incredible how close and how many tailgating spots are around the stadium. Now if they start cracking down on drinking, some will go to the bars (which still hurts the Melrose atmosphere), some will move further away from the stadium (also hurts Melrose), and some might just stay home (hurts Melrose and Kinnick).

Amen. We are a whole, making one fantastic atmosphere. It is not just about one component, it is about the entire event. An incredible event, before, during and after the game.

On Iowa!

Since when has alcohol been illegal? I have enjoyed it legally for 25 years.

Don't tread on my good times. Please and thank you.

There have always been laws about where and when you can legally consume alcohol. I can't go to my local park and start slamming beers legally, but every Hawkeye fan thinks that ANY rule enforcement on alcohol is an infringement on their rights to be jackasses.

If this does somehow move toward a deconstruction of Melrose Avenue as we know it... there will be a backlash that makes the Pink Lockerroom debacle look like a picnic.

Some people really need to get a life, this is going to hurt the football team??? really?

Everyone on this board is aware that Ohio State doesn't allow alcohol on school property, right? That team really seems to be hurting, getting fans to come to games and playing well.

People really need to grow up and realize that this isn't a big deal and is just one more thing for people to ***** about.

I look forward to the day when people stop going to Iowa games to protest some rational alcohol laws. Iowa City can enforce the laws as it sees fit. You can stay home and get **** drunk on your couch and break your own ****.

Listen, I'm all for enforcing drinking laws and such, but to a point. I am guessing you have at some point been bothered at an Iowa game by someone who's had too much to drink and have been holding on to that anger for quite some time. Don't group everyone who wants to be able to enjoy a couple drinks while tailgating with those that end up passing out and falling all over the place (no, those people aren't one and the same like most ICCC members would have you believe). And yes it is possible to go to some tailgate sight such as the Magic Bus get blackout drunk, but its also possible to go to places like the Magic Bus and not get blackout drunk. There are some that think the law is the law and it should be enforced to the T even during Iowa games. To that I say, alright, well if you want to outlaw open containers and give tickets to everyone who is drinking, then make all of those vendors get permits and give a jay walking ticket to anyone who crosses the street illegally. And while we are at it, lets make sure that no one in the city of Iowa City is polluting our area with trash on the ground and smoke in a public area.

I just saw on hawkeyesports they posted the new tailgate rules for 2010. Here is one that wasn't mentioned last year...

"Anyone in possession of an open container (including beer, wine and hard liquor) while walking/driving to University property on the public sidewalks and roads will be issued a citation and the beverage will be confiscated."

It will be interesting to see if they really cite people or not. There are usually a ton of people walking to and from Kinnick with open beverages. Hell, that little store across the railroad bridge sells tallboys for the sole purpose of tiding people over until they get back to their lot.

I needed to keep reading further. Here is another rule new for this year...

"Consumption of alcoholic beverages must cease one hour after game. All tailgating activities in University owned parking lots and ramps must end two hours after the game. Specifically, fans will be asked to pack up tents, tables, chairs, grills, etc. and vacate parking lots and ramps. Post-game alcohol and tailgate compliance will be enforced by UI officials. The only exception to this policy is RV owners, who will be allowed to spend the night, however, tailgating activities will not be permitted."

Latest posts