Magic Bus replacement denied permit

Who said i like drinking more than Iowa football? I like drinking and Iowa football more than not drinking and Iowa football, so what.

Drinking is apparently what's going to make your decision for you. And that's fine. Most people aren't going to be so shallow, and neither the university nor the city will suffer from this.

Come on. And face it, the U of I *is* better than you.

I mean the people that run it. The ones that are so stuck up that their nose hairs could be trimmed with a ceiling fan. The ones that would much rather clear out "the riff-raff", nevermind the fact that those are the people who help put money in the pockets of those in power.

It's just like the 21-ordinance. It's all about image, and nothing to do with public or student safety.

I mean the people that run it. The ones that are so stuck up that their nose hairs could be trimmed with a ceiling fan. The ones that would much rather clear out "the riff-raff", nevermind the fact that those are the people who help put money in the pockets of those in power.

It's just like the 21-ordinance. It's all about image, and nothing to do with public or student safety.

Those people are better than you, too.

You have no right to claim that anyone is better than anyone else and no institution is better than any single human being.

Not drinking does not make you better than anyone else.

I am a recovering alcoholic, care to make jokes about being better than me?

Right, because arrogance is a virtue? Not sure I've heard that one before.

Those people are university administrators. Professionals who are trying to protect their image and reduce the number of people who are breaking the law and being obnoxious on their property. you are a whining student who apparently feels entitled to do whatever you want on their property. so yeah, they are better than you.

You have no right to claim that anyone is better than anyone else and no institution is better than any single human being.

Not drinking does not make you better than anyone else.

I am a recovering alcoholic, care to make jokes about being better than me?

I can claim whatever I want. It's a free country. I could claim that the sky is maroon.

I'm no teetotaler. I drink, and I'll be able to keep drinking at tailgates for a long time.

I'm not going to make any alcoholic jokes.

Thank you for proving my point, this is not a Fascist nation and even people who aren't "administrators" are welcome to their opinion as well. I enjoy a good debate as much as anyone, but you were taking personal shots at people and making irrational assumptions of individual character, that is shallow. And alcoholic jokes in general are hilarious, singling people out is not.

Thank you for proving my point, this is not a Fascist nation and even people who aren't "administrators" are welcome to their opinion as well. I enjoy a good debate as much as anyone, but you were taking personal shots at people and making irrational assumptions of individual character, that is shallow. And alcoholic jokes in general are hilarious, singling people out is not.

That's funny.

Once again people are not upset about the drinking but more in the way the ICCC and the university are doing there best to ruin a good atmosphere. They have been on this road for a long time.

The three rule changes really don't effect me. I don't have stand alone speakers,usually leave right after the game and 95% of the time I don't travel on the streets around Kinnick with an open beer. This all being said it is another set of rules that is being placed on us that takes away from the gameday experience. It's a slippery slope we've been on for some time now and some think enough is enough. I think the overall agenda is to get all gameday drinking out of Iowa city or at least the area around Kinnick.

Really? You are as out of touch as those wanting to enforce this. If i wanted to play Parcheesi with the folks i could do that at home.

Then stay at home. I just don't find these tailgaiting rules/laws all that oppressive. I can't drink a beer and walk down Melrose, okay, I will carry it unopened in the case and drink it when I get to my next tailgate. I can't play my music overly loud in the parking lot, okay, I'll turn it down and have a conversation with my friends and fellow Hawkeye fans. I can't tailgate more than an hour AFTER the game is over, okay, I'll pack it up and go have dinner and drinks at the Airliner or Mickey's or Sports Column or The Vine, etc.

Once again people are not upset about the drinking but more in the way the ICCC and the university are doing there best to ruin a good atmosphere. They have been on this road for a long time.

The three rule changes really don't effect me. I don't have stand alone speakers,usually leave right after the game and 95% of the time I don't travel on the streets around Kinnick with an open beer. This all being said it is another set of rules that is being placed on us that takes away from the gameday experience. It's a slippery slope we've been on for some time now and some think enough is enough. I think the overall agenda is to get all gameday drinking out of Iowa city or at least the area around Kinnick.

That's ridiculous.

Then stay at home. I just don't find these tailgaiting rules/laws all that oppressive. I can't drink a beer and walk down Melrose, okay, I will carry it unopened in the case and drink it when I get to my next tailgate. I can't play my music overly loud in the parking lot, okay, I'll turn it down and have a conversation with my friends and fellow Hawkeye fans. I can't tailgate more than an hour AFTER the game is over, okay, I'll pack it up and go have dinner and drinks at the Airliner or Mickey's or Sports Column or The Vine, etc.

Excellent post.

IH8, you are tarnishing my cred!

Credibility exists on an anonymous message board? I hope you are being sarcastic. There are about 5 people on this board that have anything that resembles internet credibility, and a majority of those 5 post on the wrestling forum only.

I wasn't intending to raise hell about this topic, I was just saying that the other vendors are ****** at the Rugby Club for burning a bridge with the City on their way outta Melrose. I actually think the Rugby team got the shaft but I applaud whomever sold that P.O.S. property to Barkalow. If you look at the county records, they made a killing off that sale.

If the loss of the magic bus & more stringent alcohol ordinances are going to ruin your game day experience, then that's your loss. There's a lot of people (students included), that would give an arm and a leg for your season tickets.

100% my thinking. The cop from the Myrtle Lot for the PSU game was beyond a dick, more than i have ever seen at a tailgate. That was just the beginning, now these "rules".

IH8: yes i was being sarcastic.

Those people are university administrators. Professionals who are trying to protect their image and reduce the number of people who are breaking the law and being obnoxious on their property. you are a whining student who apparently feels entitled to do whatever you want on their property. so yeah, they are better than you.

Way to judge someone who you don't even know. For your information, I don't drink at all. I had one sip of beer when I was 7. It was disgusting, and really turned me off to the idea of drinking when I got older. Plus, I was always too focused on athletics to think about drinking. I didn't want to do anything to **** away all the hard work I'd put in. The habit has simply stuck with me. I'll probably drink someday, but I don't care to right now.

So because Bill Clinton was President of the United States, that makes him better than me? Even though he cheated on his wife?

Drinking is not illegal, and hasn't been since 1933. You want to stop underage drinking? Thats fine, have cops go around ID'ing people who are drinking if you want. But people over 21 who are just drinking during their tailgate are not breaking any laws.

And I wouldn't have a problem with the 21-ordinance if they would just say what it was really for. Rather than spouting off the usual "we're looking out for the students" malarkey, why don't they just say they are trying to make themselves look better? Because the students are still going to drink. They'll just move it to house parties. Students would be safer doing their drinking in the bars than doing it at house parties, where there is not much for supervision/monitoring.

I don't even drink, but I will say...it will be one of the last Iowa seasons I attend if they take away alcohol from all of the little peon's and yet allow all the people who can afford to sit in the box to continue consuming their alcohol. If the University wants to crack down...it starts up top too...you started down the slope not you have to live with it...even if it means less donation money.

And good, the city of Iowa City again started down the slope...they SHOULD take away and review ALL temporary use permits for Melrose and others. I'm so sick of them only enforcing things when they feel it benefits them. It will kill the atmosphere and hurt the revenue of the City...Good I hope it does...the City needs to learn just like their under 21 law...I hope it kills downtown...the morons on the city council will maybe get a clue.

I don't even drink, but I will say...it will be one of the last Iowa seasons I attend if they take away alcohol from all of the little peon's and yet allow all the people who can afford to sit in the box to continue consuming their alcohol. If the University wants to crack down...it starts up top too...you started down the slope not you have to live with it...even if it means less donation money.

And good, the city of Iowa City again started down the slope...they SHOULD take away and review ALL temporary use permits for Melrose and others. I'm so sick of them only enforcing things when they feel it benefits them. It will kill the atmosphere and hurt the revenue of the City...Good I hope it does...the City needs to learn just like their under 21 law...I hope it kills downtown...the morons on the city council will maybe get a clue.

They're not going to take alcohol away from everyone.

Latest posts