Lunatic Fringe

That moment...
When you were so excited and looking forward to next season, that you forgot about how many tools reside in your fanbase.

Sigh....

I expect Iowa to win 8 games this year, the first 5 and 3 of the next 7. If they don't, then I will be disappointed. Not catatonic, but still, disappointed. If you're not disappointed, then you become complacent (often misread as being "realistic"), which leads to acceptance, which leads to mediocrity, which leads to fun-filled trips to Ford Field in December.

Somethings never change. Loons populate the message boards and john can rile them up with a simple comment.

Cory follow college athletics for more than two years and then get back to us.

I expect a bowl game. A lesser bowl in rebuilding years...a middle tier bowl on average years and a BCS game every now and then. I think that is pretty fair for our resources and history.

The way I see it, the fan-base breaks up into roughly 4 categories:

Fan A: Appreciates the job that Kirk Ferentz has done during his tenure. Also appreciate that certain aspects of staff performance have left something to be desired. Appreciates that the 2012 team will probably not be the apex of the Ferentz era, but believes the staff has what it takes to return the program to a BCS bowl in the foreseeable future.
Fan B: Appreciates the job that Kirk Ferentz has done, but feels that certain aspects of staff performance have left something to be desired. Feels that the program, while not terrible, is at least stagnant. Feels that the RIGHT coach could jump-start things, and precipitate the kind of success seen during the first decade of the Fry era and the first decade of the Ferentz era.
Most fans fall into these 2 categories. Fan A and Fan B really aren't that far apart, and they disagree upon things that reasonable people can disagree upon. Fan A probably considers the stability/consistency of the program a point of pride, whereas Fan B may never have been a fan of the the Ferentz "style" of play (totally justifiable; it is an acquired taste).

The "Fringe" of the fan-base makes up the other 2 categories.

Fan C: Feels that any success experienced by the program during the Ferentz era was a combination of dumb-luck and all of the inherent advantages enjoyed by the University of Iowa. Resents the fact Ferentz is paid well in reward for his success. Wants Ferentz gone as punishment for not earning his salary. Feels that any other coach could come here and do at least as well. Refuses to acknowledge any barriers that the program faces. Always looking for the quick fix.

Fan D: Feels like Ferentz is the best coach in the nation, and that having any success at Iowa is worthy of a Nobel prize. Makes excuses for all of the programs shortcomings. Expects Iowa to take a severe nose-dive the instant that Fan C gets his way and Ferentz is fired.

While most people are Fan A or Fan B, it is Fans C and D that get everyone all riled up. Fan C gets off on misspelling the coach's name and is generally a huge downer. This pisses off Fan A, and he starts acting like Fan D as he comes to Ferentz' defense.

Fan D is much less depressing, but makes Fan B feel like the fan-base has low expectations, and thus Fan B starts acting like Fan C, perhaps even throwing a few "Kurts" into their responses.

No matter what category you fall into, most agree that this is not the most talented Hawkeye team of the past decade. However, there is nothing that can be done at this point to remedy that particular shortcoming. So you have 2 options:

1. **** and moan about the state of the team for the next 9 months as you make yourself miserable thinking about how Ferentz has let you down
  2. enjoy the process of a young team growing and coming together, and hope they can do some exciting things during the season (even if you do think there is a better coaching option out there)
Fans A, B, and D will pick option #2, and will ultimately find moments of joy and happiness in following their team. Fan C will pick option #1, and will probably kick their dog and pick a few fights during the season.

I heard the interview and after scanning this thread, seems like people are still taking the comment out of context, even after Jon's clarification post. I never take predictions seriously from any source - honestly, getting any kind of accuracy is more luck than anything else.

That being said, the interview had lots of valuable info and a clear picture of the spring practice. Heads above any Des Moines tv station coverage - which was absolutely pathetic in comparison. I can't imagine any fan getting out of whack over anything said - including the lunatic fringe reference. I would have just used the word "lunatic".

Every Hawkeye fan wants to win them all. Some are rational and pay attention to detail, some don't seem capable of updating their own brain with new relavant info. They just stay stuck in whatever opinion they are hanging onto regardless of reality, and wouldn't have a prayer of changing anything for the better even if given the chance.

Man, I love that song. Maybe HN could have a music option where Jon decides what music is played and have a voting feature for every song? Good idea?

The way I see it, the fan-base breaks up into roughly 4 categories:
Fan A: Appreciates the job that Kirk Ferentz has done during his tenure. Also appreciate that certain aspects of staff performance have left something to be desired. Appreciates that the 2012 team will probably not be the apex of the Ferentz era, but believes the staff has what it takes to return the program to a BCS bowl in the foreseeable future.​
Fan B: Appreciates the job that Kirk Ferentz has done, but feels that certain aspects of staff performance have left something to be desired. Feels that the program, while not terrible, is at least stagnant. Feels that the RIGHT coach could jump-start things, and precipitate the kind of success seen during the first decade of the Fry era and the first decade of the Ferentz era.​
Most fans fall into these 2 categories. Fan A and Fan B really aren't that far apart, and they disagree upon things that reasonable people can disagree upon. Fan A probably considers the stability/consistency of the program a point of pride, whereas Fan B may never have been a fan of the the Ferentz "style" of play (totally justifiable; it is an acquired taste).The "Fringe" of the fan-base makes up the other 2 categories.
Fan C: Feels that any success experienced by the program during the Ferentz era was a combination of dumb-luck and all of the inherent advantages enjoyed by the University of Iowa. Resents the fact Ferentz is paid well in reward for his success. Wants Ferentz gone as punishment for not earning his salary. Feels that any other coach could come here and do at least as well. Refuses to acknowledge any barriers that the program faces. Always looking for the quick fix.Fan D: Feels like Ferentz is the best coach in the nation, and that having any success at Iowa is worthy of a Nobel prize. Makes excuses for all of the programs shortcomings. Expects Iowa to take a severe nose-dive the instant that Fan C gets his way and Ferentz is fired.​
While most people are Fan A or Fan B, it is Fans C and D that get everyone all riled up. Fan C gets off on misspelling the coach's name and is generally a huge downer. This pisses off Fan A, and he starts acting like Fan D as he comes to Ferentz' defense.Fan D is much less depressing, but makes Fan B feel like the fan-base has low expectations, and thus Fan B starts acting like Fan C, perhaps even throwing a few "Kurts" into their responses.No matter what category you fall into, most agree that this is not the most talented Hawkeye team of the past decade. However, there is nothing that can be done at this point to remedy that particular shortcoming. So you have 2 options:
  1. **** and moan about the state of the team for the next 9 months as you make yourself miserable thinking about how Ferentz has let you down
  2. enjoy the process of a young team growing and coming together, and hope they can do some exciting things during the season (even if you do think there is a better coaching option out there)
Fans A, B, and D will pick option #2, and will ultimately find moments of joy and happiness in following their team. Fan C will pick option #1, and will probably kick their dog and pick a few fights during the season.

I enjoy the "Kurt" thing, that is 2 kewl......

I understand the argument about 2010 as that team had tons of talent and didn't perform, especially down the stretch. 2011 was a transition year. All that talent we had from 2010 was gone and I knew it would be a long road. The final results for 2011, although disappointing, didn't give me much concern. This year the team is yet again in transition, in ways we have never seen in the 14 year existence of Kirk at the helm. The talent is very young and the coaching staff is transitioning. The schedule is the only thing propping up what would normally be a sub .500 team in these circumstances. But with this schedule set up the way it is it allows the players the convenience of a decent learning curve. Seven wins and a trip to a bowl game is not a bad deal for this season.

I understand the argument about 2010 as that team had tons of talent and didn't perform, especially down the stretch. 2011 was a transition year. All that talent we had from 2010 was gone and I knew it would be a long road. The final results for 2011, although disappointing, didn't give me much concern. This year the team is yet again in transition, in ways we have never seen in the 14 year existence of Kirk at the helm. The talent is very young and the coaching staff is transitioning. The schedule is the only thing propping up what would normally be a sub .500 team in these circumstances. But with this schedule set up the way it is it allows the players the convenience of a decent learning curve. Seven wins and a trip to a bowl game is not a bad deal for this season.

In regards to 2011 we had one of the best QB's in the Big Ten, one of the best RB's in the Big Ten, and one of the best receivers in the Big Ten. We also had one of the best offensive lines in the Big Ten which included a top 10 draft pick at left tackle. We also had a first team All Big Ten CB. This should hardly be a transition year.

What if those 5 losses include losses to Iowa State and Minnesota. Still get to 7 wins with the only "quality" win being against Penn State - at home. Won't you feel like the team underachieved? To me, that would not be a good deal. It's not just about the number of wins and losses, but who you beat, and more importantly, who you lose to. Last year was particularly disappointing because of losses to those 2 teams. 2010 was particularly disappointing because of losses to NW and Minnesota (heck, 2010 was disappointing for a lot more reasons than just that).

Jon, I understand your need to defend this program but I have no idea why the rest of the people do.

Actually I am not sure what exactly you understand. I write and say what I believe. I don't have marching orders. Whether or not people in Iowa City like me or don't like me, it has no bearing on being able to do what I want to do on the site.

The article/info aspects to this site are primarily opinion based, which is exactly what I want for it to be.

If someone in Iowa City doesn't like something I write or say (which happens several times a year), it's OK. I just try to be fair and not over the top when I feel there is need for criticism.

In regards to 2011 we had one of the best QB's in the Big Ten, one of the best RB's in the Big Ten, and one of the best receivers in the Big Ten. We also had one of the best offensive lines in the Big Ten which included a top 10 draft pick at left tackle. We also had a first team All Big Ten CB. This should hardly be a transition year.

Stat wise JVB was one of the better QBs in the B1G but let's not forget that he had a severe split personality disorder. He disappeared outside of the friendly confines of Kinnick. And the record basically showed that.

Then you had the most challenged defense in a decade. I think the defense did their part and the offense did not. Even then, they had a good shot at 9 wins. Iowa State did outplay them in Ames, but it was what, double or triple OT? The loss at MN should not have happened.

Last edited:
What if those 5 losses include losses to Iowa State and Minnesota. Still get to 7 wins with the only "quality" win being against Penn State - at home. Won't you feel like the team underachieved? To me, that would not be a good deal. It's not just about the number of wins and losses, but who you beat, and more importantly, who you lose to. Last year was particularly disappointing because of losses to those 2 teams. 2010 was particularly disappointing because of losses to NW and Minnesota (heck, 2010 was disappointing for a lot more reasons than just that).

I guarantee you this... If Iowa loses to either or both of ISU and Minny then seven wins is off the table. Being at home and that both of those teams aren't that good either if Iowa doesn't beat them Iowa is going to have a hell of a time the rest of the schedule.

A couple of good posts in this thread,like CP87. I pretty much fall into category A.

I suspect older fans who have suffered thru the 1961-79 years mainly fall into that category.
Some fans are glass half full,and that would be me. I remember 2010 as disappointing,(with injuries to our linebacking corp devastating our defense)but also remember the upset of 12th ranked Missouri in the Insight Bowl to get that 8th win.

I remember 2011 as disappointing,(with injuries to Daniels and Nardo devastating an already thin d-line) but remember Iowa was one of only two teams to beat top ten Michigan.

My hopes for 2012 are that Iowa will suprise and win 9 games,losing only to Mich,MSU and maybe Nebraska,but my expectations are tempered a bit more with the knowledge that we are very thin in the d-line and rb spots.
I expect to win 7 or 8. Less than that,and and I will be disappointed.

As for this whole notion that we are in a horrible three year run...sorry,but in 2010 we won our third straight bowl game for the first time in program history,beating three BCS teams, South Carolina,Ga. Tech,and Missouri...that is not the disaster that cory seems to think.
Last year we lost in a 3OT game on the road at ISU,and in a close loss(with a couple of missed fgs ) by 2 to Minny on the road. We were very close to a 9-3 season...and that counts. You cannot just ignore the way we lost,the closeness of these games, the competitiveness of the team...it matters. We only really lost to MSU and Neb last year. PSU was a 3 point game on the road in the 4th qtr. With a healthy Nardo and Daniels,and a made fg and a bounce here and there,we are 10-2 and it is a wonderful season. It did not happen,but we were not uncompetitive,as those of us who remember the 50-6 losses in the dark era of Iowa football...we just longed to be in the hunt in the 4th qtr. Under KF we are always in the hunt in the 4th qtr.

Then you had the most challenged defense in a decade. I think the defense did their part and the offense did not. Even then, they had a good shot at 9 wins. Iowa State did outplay them in Ames, but it was what, double or triple OT? The loss at MN should not have happened.

The defense is not what let us down last year. As Kirk often says, it comes down to execution. The offense did not execute well, nor did the coaching staff. Hayden Fry used to say "Scratch where it itches" Our staff did a poor job of taking what the other teams gave us last year, and instead just tried pushing through a game plan that was not working in many instances.

Latest posts