Looks like Patrick is doing well for his new AAU team

We know he gave Connor 2nd team minutes at the PG spot, instead of CW, before the 1st game was played. That's why CW left.
That’s true.... and what we don’t know at this point is if Connor is better than Cwill. It all remains to be seen and that’s why I say it’s hard to be sure on anything at this point. Crazier things have happened than a college coach playing their son too many minutes, Iowa fans should know that.

Fran's not going to give his kids more minutes than they've earned. He has his share of faults but giving up possible wins just so he can play his sons doesn't appear to be one of them. That would be stupid.

Fran won't purposely give his kids more minutes then they deserve at the expense of getting wins. But he could very well have a warped vision of how many minutes they actually deserve.

Fran won't purposely give his kids more minutes then they deserve at the expense of getting wins. But he could very well have a warped vision of how many minutes they actually deserve.
There's probably a line in between those two things for sure. That's such a tricky thing. Especially if your kid isn't a superstar but a role player like CM will be. (I assume most of us feel similarly to that?) And I don't think Patrick will be a superstar day 1 at least. He's got 20 lbs at the least he'll need to put on till he can be that. Yet playing them is what develops them more than anything so Patrick will get PT early on too.

We know Fran is competitive. I don't think even the biggest Fran detractor could deny that. It completely follows then that he's not going to play his own kids over better players when often games come down to one or two possessions.

That said, it is possible he could subconsciously play his kids more than they deserve or, I suppose. But then it's just as possible he plays them a little less than they deserve so as to not give off the impression that he's favoring his sons. That kind of psychological stuff is above my pay grade.

We know Fran is competitive. I don't think even the biggest Fran detractor could deny that. It completely follows then that he's not going to play his own kids over better players when often games come down to one or two possessions.

That said, it is possible he could subconsciously play his kids more than they deserve or, I suppose. But then it's just as possible he plays them a little less than they deserve so as to not give off the impression that he's favoring his sons. That kind of psychological stuff is above my pay grade.

I agree and I would say both scenarios are equally possible.

I agree and I would say both scenarios are equally possible.

Totally, I've seen dad's at the grade school level do it. They either play their kid and he sucks and they don't care, they just keep playing em, or they don't play their kid enough because they don't want to show favoritism and the kids pretty good. It's not an easy spot, but ultimately one he's put himself in.

Totally, I've seen dad's at the grade school level do it. They either play their kid and he sucks and they don't care, they just keep playing em, or they don't play their kid enough because they don't want to show favoritism and the kids pretty good. It's not an easy spot, but ultimately one he's put himself in.

While I'm not arguing how Fran will or won't play his kids, I don't think a parallel can be drawn from what a grade school coach would do vs a College coach.

While I'm not arguing how Fran will or won't play his kids, I don't think a parallel can be drawn from what a grade school coach would do vs a College coach.

That's fair... I'm just saying "he's human" that kind of thing can probably happen.

That's fair... I'm just saying "he's human" that kind of thing can probably happen.

Yes all things are possible. A better more recent example might be Alford playing his kid as a starter at SG for UCLA. That is almost downright laughable. To think that Bryce Alford is the best SG that UCLA could get.

He might not be able to put a lot of weight on. Might affect his quickness if he did anyway. Sometimes that is a factor. The effects of his surgery could be a deterrent to gaining significant weight. Jamal Crawford and Penny Hardaway had similar builds......

Have been looking forward to Patrick and Joe on the court at the same time. Good Things Coming our way, Lads.....

:cool:
There was a time when half the NBA seemed to have that build-George
Gervin, Rudy T, Louis Orr, Jamaal Wilkes, Dan Roundfield, Mickey Johnson, on and on. Every one of them seemed to be 6'8', 6'9" about 205. Today Lebeon plays at about 260 and nary a drop of wasted flesh. In the 1980's a 260 lb player would have looked like the Michelin Man.

I can certainly tell whether or not a player can move his feet and stay in front of opponents in AAU games. You can tell an awful lot about a player by watching AAU basketball. That's why every college coach spends valuable recruiting time attending these tournaments.
This is my first year watching boys AAU ball and it is certainly fascinating to watch how rapidly some of those kids can improve any facet of their game. Of course those kids are at the age when their skills or physical maturation can improve rapidly anyway. The physical presence of coaches at these tournaments, in the window that they are allowed to attend, is pretty much an unwritten mandatory rule these days. Or they are behind the curve. If these kids weren't playing AAU they would be playing pickup ball at the YMCA. Detractors may point out that we are forcing kids to specialize in one sport too early and those are the ones who may or may not see the benefits of AAU. They're also wrong. There's plenty of time for those who choose to do so to play other sports. They just have to be smart about diet, rest and using different muscles for different sports.

This is my first year watching boys AAU ball and it is certainly fascinating to watch how rapidly some of those kids can improve any facet of their game. Of course those kids are at the age when their skills or physical maturation can improve rapidly anyway. The physical presence of coaches at these tournaments, in the window that they are allowed to attend, is pretty much an unwritten mandatory rule these days. Or they are behind the curve. If these kids weren't playing AAU they would be playing pickup ball at the YMCA. Detractors may point out that we are forcing kids to specialize in one sport too early and those are the ones who may or may not see the benefits of AAU. They're also wrong. There's plenty of time for those who choose to do so to play other sports. They just have to be smart about diet, rest and using different muscles for different sports.
If I'm not coaching my teams, I'm watching other teams play. There are good coaches and there are bad coaches. Just like in college basketball. There are coaches that demand their players play defense and there are coaches that don't. Just like college basketball (Izzo does - Fran doesn't). AAU basketball can have a lot of positive effects on a player's development. One of the benefits of coaching AAU vs high school, is little Johnny Rich Boy doesn't get minutes because his daddy donates money to the program! You get minutes on my team by playing defense, rebounding and embracing the team first concept. If mommy and daddy have a problem with it, they can kick rocks.
I had a local varsity high school coach call me last week and quiz me about what concepts I teach, etc, because I coach 4 Sophs that go to his school. Tells me how he doesn't like AAU basketball. Tells me how he would rather the kids at his school participate in the summer program. I asked him point blank - "How many college coaches show up to watch his summer program"? He didn't answer that question but it didn't matter because I already knew. ZERO.

If I'm not coaching my teams, I'm watching other teams play. There are good coaches and there are bad coaches. Just like in college basketball. There are coaches that demand their players play defense and there are coaches that don't. Just like college basketball (Izzo does - Fran doesn't). AAU basketball can have a lot of positive effects on a player's development. One of the benefits of coaching AAU vs high school, is little Johnny Rich Boy doesn't get minutes because his daddy donates money to the program! You get minutes on my team by playing defense, rebounding and embracing the team first concept. If mommy and daddy have a problem with it, they can kick rocks.
I had a local varsity high school coach call me last week and quiz me about what concepts I teach, etc, because I coach 4 Sophs that go to his school. Tells me how he doesn't like AAU basketball. Tells me how he would rather the kids at his school participate in the summer program. I asked him point blank - "How many college coaches show up to watch his summer program"? He didn't answer that question but it didn't matter because I already knew. ZERO.
AAU games can get physical. That's another benefit I see. Way more physical than a summer program or pickup games. Players who get used to that kind of physicality and learn how to finish through it have a huge advantage when they get back to their regular school teams. I saw one our teams players last weekend get hammered on a drive, get up and get back on defense while snapping the cartilage from his dislocated nose back into place, and eventually end up taking a charge on the other end. Our coaches originally split minutes and crunch time minutes fairly evenly, but they're human and want to win as much as the next guy. Those who can execute in crunch time have been finding the floor more often in those situations and as incoming eighth graders it's not too early to learn to listen and execute-or sit. Hell, I see some coaches barely play seven, even though they have nine or ten on their team. Perhaps the others don't listen or loaf in practice. If that's they case they should sit.

AAU games can get physical. That's another benefit I see. Way more physical than a summer program or pickup games. Players who get used to that kind of physicality and learn how to finish through it have a huge advantage when they get back to their regular school teams. I saw one our teams players last weekend get hammered on a drive, get up and get back on defense while snapping the cartilage from his dislocated nose back into place, and eventually end up taking a charge on the other end. Our coaches originally split minutes and crunch time minutes fairly evenly, but they're human and want to win as much as the next guy. Those who can execute in crunch time have been finding the floor more often in those situations and as incoming eighth graders it's not too early to learn to listen and execute-or sit. Hell, I see some coaches barely play seven, even though they have nine or ten on their team. Perhaps the others don't listen or loaf in practice. If that's they case they should sit.
I had a player turn the ball over 3 times in a row, so I pulled him out. He actually had the nerve to ask me why I pulled him out. Then he started talking back. I sat him the entire game after that. I pulled him aside after the game and explained it to him. Close your mouth and open your ears, if you want to play. Bottom line.

I had a player turn the ball over 3 times in a row, so I pulled him out. He actually had the nerve to ask me why I pulled him out. Then he started talking back. I sat him the entire game after that. I pulled him aside after the game and explained it to him. Close your mouth and open your ears, if you want to play. Bottom line.

Pretty much every coach in the world would do that.

I hope you didn't shatter his psyche for life and he had to run to his safe space.

I hope you didn't shatter his psyche for life and he had to run to his safe space.
Wait until he screws up three times in a row on his job and has to answer to a pissed off boss. Or a pissed off wife. Depending on the nature of the turnovers, the kid may have to answer to me too if he was my son. I'd pull him aside in a hallway or under the bleachers and do it quietly but I'd get my point across. You don't talk back to a coach on the bench in public view. Not where other players can see.