looking forward

to the 2012-13 lineups

Gesell /Clemmons PG
Marble/ Olgesbe/Ingram SG
May/White SF
Basabe/McCabe/Meyer PF
Olaseni/Woodbury

it will be hard keeping people happy, and losing jut May gives this young team 2 years to get to know each other

I expect Woodbury to start from day 1 , Bromm/Arch will be gone and Olaseni is a long-term project

And with those players, you could even go to a strong defensive lineup in:

PG- Clemmons
SG - Marble
SF - May or White
PF - Basabe or Olaseni
C - Woodbury

With those pieces, there are so many different lineups you could use to fit your need at that time.

I don't understand the "long term" project label people put on Olaseni? Have you seen him play? He runs the floor like a 3 and has really good hands and instincts. Granted, he is no NBA lottery pick, but he is a very athletic dude for his size.

And don't discount the impact the coaches can have on Olaseni's game. Cole was a much more effective offensive player after just a few months with the new staff. I expect Olaseni to make similar leaps, if not this year, by next season.

because its like i said in another thread, Woodbury has stars by his name, Olaseni does not,therefore Woodbury just has to be better and has to start

because its like i said in another thread, Woodbury has stars by his name, Olaseni does not,therefore Woodbury just has to be better and has to start

Woodbury has stars by his name because he is a Top 50 player in America. He was the MVP of the NBA PA camp. You don't get those honors if you aren't legit.

Adam will start from Day One because he is just better than Gabe (not a knock on Olaseni).

Also, it's not out of the realm that Gabe plays PF while Adam plays the 5. Both could play at the same time.

my question how does a kid from Europe even get a chance to prove his worth in the states without playing, not playing in the states = no evaluation= no stars. until he playes the stars mean nothing, also Lohaus was MCdonald AA and look how long it took him , just saying that *'s are not the overall factor in determining a kids ability, lets wait til they hit the court and play at the next level before people pass judgement on them as to whether they can even play or deserve to play

still waiting for the answer to my question, " how does a kid from Europe, GET THE STARS?" he didn't play in the states until his senior year in the state in Kansas, the star of that team was Katenda so he got all the attention, it is a lot easier to get ranked when the eyes are on you, i have not seen anything out of Brommer and Archie up to this point that they have earned a starting spot, and with the new coach recruiting players to play now and not being 2-3 year projects, and seeing how Basabe turned out, i will safely bet that Olaseni could start and do quite well, but i do hope Brommer and Archie have a Senior year like Lohaus, Looby and Hansen did

lets face it you are a star gazer and can't answer my question, nobody knows how good Olaseni is, Woodbury got his chance to be evaluated and did earn the stars, Olaseni didn't, and that is a fact

that as been my point, saying somebody should be given the starting spot because of stars, as for this season, i am guessing he gets the nod, because Archie hasn't shown much to warrent the starting spot, Brommer according to people who have actually seen him, looks very sluggish and out of shape, Olaseni is in shape, very athletic and a true center, in my opinion its a safe bet he starts, as for the following year, Woodbury will have to earn the starting spot, i am being cautious on him, as i remember Lohaus, as well as the hype on Payne & Stokes coming in, Payne had all the accolades as well as the buildup Stokes not so much, Payne had a very good career, but it is Stokes that had the better career as well as being remembered the best, so just saying ;lets let them play at the next level before we annoint them starters or the next great player

Actually Payne looked better than stokes his freshmen year but fell off after that as stokes was just the opposite. How ironic to hear some talk of Olaseni as being a project now that we have a Woodbury commit. I could have swore I heard a collective hawkeye sigh of relief when Olaseni committed to Iowa. I think he is going to surprise a lot of hawkeye fans.

still waiting for the answer to my question, " how does a kid from Europe, GET THE STARS?" he didn't play in the states until his senior year in the state in Kansas, the star of that team was Katenda so he got all the attention, it is a lot easier to get ranked when the eyes are on you, i have not seen anything out of Brommer and Archie up to this point that they have earned a starting spot, and with the new coach recruiting players to play now and not being 2-3 year projects, and seeing how Basabe turned out, i will safely bet that Olaseni could start and do quite well, but i do hope Brommer and Archie have a Senior year like Lohaus, Looby and Hansen did

I don't know, but apparently kids from New Zealand don't have too much trouble when they are pretty good.

Steven Adams - Yahoo! Sports

Dude, you waited 42 minutes from your previous post on a Monday afternoon and you are complaining about not getting answer? Really?

That's rich. Nicely done.

And for the record, I'm not talking about stars. I'm just telling you that Woody is better than Gabe because if you watch the two, it's the truth. Stars or no stars. If Gabe was a Top 50 recruit, scouting services would have put him in the Top 50 when people were coming to see Katenda as well. Again, not a rip on Gabe, but it's just the way it is.

I hope Olaseni tears it up as a Hawkeye. He has a lot of physical gifts.

I think everyone should prepare the the likely event that neither one is effective early in their careers. If you think being a top rated big man makes you ready to play in the Big 10, ask Meyers Leonard how that works out.

I certainly hope Bromm/Arch have Hanson/Lohaus senior years but Kurt Looby?!? Looby is PRECISELY the reason I am not sold on Olaseni's basketball skills. Looby was/is proof that Alford was way off in thinking 'you can't teach height' was a good reason to give a BASKETBALL scholarship to a soccer player just 'cuz dude was 7 feet tall. Let's be honest, Looby was terrible.

Gabe is 6'10" - 7' and if he's as athletic as you say then hopefully he can rebound and play defense immediately, but everything from the scouts (people who are professionally acknowledged as experts) says his offensive skills are raw (a nice way of saying non-existent) which means offensively he is a work in progress.

Woodbury has a great old-school skill set if post moves. Kid us a 1st year starter, period. I agree with Stormin that they could go big line up and start Basabe, Olaseni, Wiodbury at 3,4,5.

How do European players get the stars? Have you watched the NBA draft at all during the past decade? Top European players go pro right out of high school and get plenty if credit. These European players have been half the NBA lottery picks the last several years because they are more skilled overall and can shoot the ball, a skill that is disgustingly missing from even the best American players. Anybody hear any scouting reports calling Olaseni a Kukoc, Nowitzki, Gasol, even if he shoots from beyond 15 feet at all?

This is no knock on 'projects' most 7 footers end up as projects. Les Jepsen was a great historic project and UNI's 'Beast from Bellevue' had a great senior year and didn't produce much if anything before. Gabe will be a good player if Cartwright and Basabe are anything to go on but I'm sticking to my point that Woodbury has that Center spot locked up until he turns pro

Also, it wasn't the Woodbury commit that made people call Olaseni a project, it's his lack of offensive skills. From the time Okaseni visited up to the day he committed fans called him a long term project... Offensively. We were all still stoked he is a hawkeye, we will still cheer for him and support him. It would be great if Gabe proves me wrong and averages 20 and thus year, even next year, but I won't hold my breath

Funny how Meyers is absent from this discussion... I think he might have a say in this, as well.

Latest posts