Little Lick

I don't see how it presents a bad situation to keep him on the team. Assuming John got along with the rest of the team (all indications are he did), extending him the opportunity to continue, in the same capacity, sends a message of integrity to the entire team.

If I'm a returning player, I would look at that move and think "Wow, this guy is a class act."

I am sure he will go where his dad gets a job...and if Lick does not get a job, probably Butler or a small school where he can play.
Leave him alone,please.

I honestly laughed milk through my nose when I read this.

First off, lil Lick won't be staying. He would have been gone next season even if his dad had not been fired. I think being caught up in the WHO thing took its toll on him. I think it would have taken its toll on any of us. I doubt most of us would have been strong enough to stay the rest of the season.

As others have said, lil Lick was a great Hawk. Realistically, he shouldn't have ever received any minutes with Iowa. And it wasn't his intention to receive any. He joined the team to get experience for his coaching future. You have to feel for the kid. His dad put him in a terrible position by opening his mouth and saying he should have been getting more minutes the whole season. And a lot of people(including the media) used his situation to fuel momentum to get his dad out of Iowa City.

I honestly laughed milk through my nose when I read this.

He actually explained earlier that he didn't mean Lil Lick would go to Butler so he could play. Todd graduated from there. So what he meant was that John will probably either go to a small school where he can play, or just go to Butler and get an education.

He should be given the same option as all the rest of the players on the team. He did alot of good things for the team & as others have said busted is a@@ to be a Hawk. Granted he did not deserve any minuts at the big 10 level as a freshman, but that was not his fault. I am sure that he came to Iowa just expecting experience being on the team to go into coaching. If staying at Iowa is what he wants to do then I dont see what the problem is. I would like to see us have walk-ons in the program it is better for practice and good to have for emergency situations like this year.

He should be given the same option as all the rest of the players on the team. He did alot of good things for the team & as others have said busted is a@@ to be a Hawk. Granted he did not deserve any minuts at the big 10 level as a freshman, but that was not his fault. I am sure that he came to Iowa just expecting experience being on the team to go into coaching. If staying at Iowa is what he wants to do then I dont see what the problem is. I would like to see us have walk-ons in the program it is better for practice and good to have for emergency situations like this year.

No he shouldn't. He's a walk-on, not a scholarship player. Therefore, the University and coach is under NO obligation at all to him. And while it was not his fault he was in the situation he was in ... if you play any about of ball in the Iowa City area you would know that there are MANY students at the U of I itself that are miles better than Jr. I like the walk-on program, but those walk-ons should be/could be a lot better basketball players than Lil' Lick is. He was an average high school player in Iowa at best. The absolute ONLY reasons he got PT this year were (in this order) 1: His daddy was the coach, and 2: His daddy had no Plan B for Point Guard. Neither are John's fault. But the new Coach in town would be an absolute bozo if he kept John on the team. B-O-Z-O. And not because it would be awkward (which it would), but because HE SUCKS (relative to D1 players, anyway).

No he shouldn't. He's a walk-on, not a scholarship player. Therefore, the University and coach is under NO obligation at all to him. And while it was not his fault he was in the situation he was in ... if you play any about of ball in the Iowa City area you would know that there are MANY students at the U of I itself that are miles better than Jr. I like the walk-on program, but those walk-ons should be/could be a lot better basketball players than Lil' Lick is. He was an average high school player in Iowa at best. The absolute ONLY reasons he got PT this year were (in this order) 1: His daddy was the coach, and 2: His daddy had no Plan B for Point Guard. Neither are John's fault. But the new Coach in town would be an absolute bozo if he kept John on the team. B-O-Z-O. And not because it would be awkward (which it would), but because HE SUCKS (relative to D1 players, anyway).

Sucks...NO! Walk On skills...Yes.

Sucks...NO! Walk On skills...Yes.

I disagree. Basically, you are saying any Iowa high school basketball player sub 5'11" who started is walk-on material, and that is just not true. Historically speaking, almost all of Iowa's walk-ons were high school standouts in some form. If being a future coach is John's career ambition, great, but be a manager, then grad assistant. But he is not walk-on material. His father is at fault for all of it, not John.

It would be absolutely silly for Fran to keep him on board. He needs to upgrade the talent, not keep the single worst player to step on the court for Iowa since I've been watching on the team. Again - not John's fault, but come on.

I disagree. Basically, you are saying any Iowa high school basketball player sub 5'11" who started is walk-on material, and that is just not true. Historically speaking, almost all of Iowa's walk-ons were high school standouts in some form. If being a future coach is John's career ambition, great, but be a manager, then grad assistant. But he is not walk-on material. His father is at fault for all of it, not John.

It would be absolutely silly for Fran to keep him on board. He needs to upgrade the talent, not keep the single worst player to step on the court for Iowa since I've been watching on the team. Again - not John's fault, but come on.

Do you remember Antonio Ramos?

That though wasn't my point. I said he didn't suck and if you looked at his stats you will see he had the best assist to turnover margin of anyone but Devan.

Iowa Basketball was much more part of his life than ours the past two seasons and I believe that if there are opportunities to walk on, one you should be extended to him.

I know plenty of guys who meet the qualifications you listed, and I guarantee Lil Lick is better than all of them.

Really? I went to a 1A/2A school in southern Iowa (we were always on the bubble between the two classes). Two of our starters were under 6'0", and so was our 6th man. Of the three guys over 6'0", only one could have played D1, and he's instead playing football at New Mexico. Of the guys under 6'0", none of them could have competed well at the 4A level. Lick is a better shooter than all of them, just as good a ball handler as one of the three (better than the other two), and he made fewer turnovers in the Big Ten than those guys made in high school in similar playing time. Trust me, he's quite a bit better than the guys I know that were under 6'0" and high school starters.

Did you just compare playing 4A Iowa High School basketball to the BIG TEN? You are nuts. I am not going to harp on Little Lick because he was a rock in a hard place, but he wasnt a stud at City High either.

Did you just compare playing 4A Iowa High School basketball to the BIG TEN? You are nuts. I am not going to harp on Little Lick because he was a rock in a hard place, but he wasnt a stud at City High either.

Read it again. I said I knew guys who met the size/high school starter requirements that gnfnr offered, and that Lick was better than them, thereby making his statement that Lick was the worst player in the state at his size false. I was comparing 1A/2A competition to the 4A level, not 4A to the Big Ten.

He definitely doesn't look the part as a capable PG, but I really think it's ridiculous to say he couldn't play for Central. I think PG is easy to compare to QB and it's a position where game iq, decision making ability, and strength mentally can make up for lesser physical ability.

I hate people who vastly under rate intangibles. Great athletic ability really means nothing if you make poor decisions, don't understand the game, or have a poor attitude.

Yes he was out of his league in the Big Ten, but hey so is Iowa right now, but he would be a valuable asset at any community college.

This thread has nearly 3400 views. I know there is something else to say about that but for the life of me, I don't know what it is....

Latest posts