Listen to Sound Off and getting more upset

This is more a question of procedure, but I think I'm not the only one who is curious about this ...

Jon, do you have the freedom to level any honest criticism you have at the coaching staff or others affiliated with the University? Is there any pressure, stated or implied, that you being overly harsh of coaches could potentially affect your job status or access?

You are hearing what you want to hear.

I am debating with people that are saying Kirk hasn't done much at Iowa, stuff like that that I disagree with.

As for the KOK stuff, I have said this repeatedly; he's doing what Kirk wants. Your criticisms should be directed at Kirk, not KOK

We've gone something like four years since we've lost a game by more than a touchdown. That's incredible in this conference. That means we had a chance to win every game we've played over that stretch. When you don't there is always second guessing.

We have a QB that had 15 picks last year and has four this year (two on him). We have a running back that few thought should have been playing a year ago and even this year. All he does is give 110% effort and rushes for over 100 yards in most games. We have an OL that some posters said could be the worst in the Ferentz era in August. They are damn good and doing it with players that have more seasons to come.

All of this isn't done in a vacuum. I think our staff is a pretty good one. This season has been frustrating because so much was possible.

This is more a question of procedure, but I think I'm not the only one who is curious about this ...

Jon, do you have the freedom to level any honest criticism you have at the coaching staff or others affiliated with the University? Is there any pressure, stated or implied, that you being overly harsh of coaches could potentially affect your job status or access?

I write and say the things I am compelled to say.

What you see from me is my personality. I tend not to fly off the handle, I tend to look more big picture than fire everyone due to the latest flavor of the week

I think I was the only person in the Iowa media to write a column that criticized Iowa for keeping A Rob in the game so long vs MSU..and Kirk said this week that "yeah, I read one thing about that" and he wasn't happy about it. I got called into 'Alford's office'. I've met with a few heated exchanges on the phone from a few other people for opinions I have had.

I don't write or say anything at the direction of anyone. What you get is how I view things.

Just because I don't fall in line with the lynch mob, folks assume there is an agenda. Nope..we all see things differently.

I write and say the things I am compelled to say.

What you see from me is my personality. I tend not to fly off the handle, I tend to look more big picture than fire everyone due to the latest flavor of the week

I think I was the only person in the Iowa media to write a column that criticized Iowa for keeping A Rob in the game so long vs MSU..and Kirk said this week that "yeah, I read one thing about that" and he wasn't happy about it. I got called into 'Alford's office'. I've met with a few heated exchanges on the phone from a few other people for opinions I have had.

I don't write or say anything at the direction of anyone. What you get is how I view things.

Just because I don't fall in line with the lynch mob, folks assume there is an agenda. Nope..we all see things differently.

I actually have a little experience with that myself lol.

You are hearing what you want to hear.

I am debating with people that are saying Kirk hasn't done much at Iowa, stuff like that that I disagree with.

As for the KOK stuff, I have said this repeatedly; he's doing what Kirk wants. Your criticisms should be directed at Kirk, not KOK

I'll say this, Jon. On NW's final possession of the game, Podolak was being openly critical on the air as to why Iowa was continuing to rush four and play their base defense. It was not until NW reached the Iowa 20 that Iowa finally switched to a nickel.

On Iowa's final possession, Podolak was also critical of Iowa's play calling. At one point, it was mentioned that Iowa had run something like 11 or 12 plays and only gained 34 yards. Iowa had two timeouts, the middle of the field was open, but for whatever KOK (or Kirk, whatever) wants to throw five yard out patterns that don't do anything but waste time.

I'm not one who's critical of the coaching staff, but the play-calling on the final possession was atrocious. Just like it was last week.

If they don't pull their heads out - and I'm talking everyone, it's not going to pretty next Saturday.

I am saying the same things on air that I have written here today. I am not pleased with the lack of execution on offense the last two weeks.

But some the stuff some are calling in and saying, acting like Iowa hasn't done anything the last decade, sorry. Not gonna sit here and hold hands and validate those feelings

Nothing that happened in the past decade has anything to do with this year. Iowa winning the Big 10 in 2004 and winning a BCS game last year doesn't make this year any less of a disappointment.

Nothing that happened in the past decade has anything to do with this year. Iowa winning the Big 10 in 2004 and winning a BCS game last year doesn't make this year any less of a disappointment.

wow, we are finally thinking a like...........on this anyway

Yeah, it does in the context of the phone calls that I was referring to in regards to the OP

Here are my thoughts. First of all We have a ton of talent. I think that they are letting that get to there heads. As fans we have high expectations and we should. The facts are the facts we have been a middle of the pack offense for a decade! It is time for a change be it philosophy or coaching or what ever. We have the athletes time to start using them in different ways!

I think the thing that ticks us off the most is at over 3million per year should get us better than a 9-3 or 8-4 season. 3 million a year should be getting us big ten championships and and NC considerations. Still haven't seen a Rose Bowl in Ferentz reign but he makes more than the other coaches in the Big Ten. 12 years and counting.

Jon, will there ever be any change, or can we expect this every year. It is frustrating to watch such a talented team end up average at best. We have seen this year in and year out but nothing changes and that is what is frustrating.

This.

I'll say this, Jon. On NW's final possession of the game, Podolak was being openly critical on the air as to why Iowa was continuing to rush four and play their base defense. It was not until NW reached the Iowa 20 that Iowa finally switched to a nickel.

On Iowa's final possession, Podolak was also critical of Iowa's play calling. At one point, it was mentioned that Iowa had run something like 11 or 12 plays and only gained 34 yards. Iowa had two timeouts, the middle of the field was open, but for whatever KOK (or Kirk, whatever) wants to throw five yard out patterns that don't do anything but waste time.

I'm not one who's critical of the coaching staff, but the play-calling on the final possession was atrocious. Just like it was last week.

If they don't pull their heads out - and I'm talking everyone, it's not going to pretty next Saturday.

BING BING BING...We have a winner! My thoughts exactly! I didn't count the plays but going from the 20 yd to the 35 yd had to take something like 8 plays. Did anyone count? I was lying in bed (in Japan 0445) and getting fustrated with the five yard out patterns. What the heck! We have a seasoned QB with timeouts and do five yard patterns? I definitely hold Stanzi responsible as well. Taking those sacks killed us. Still hasn't learned anything about throwing it away, etc. I am not saying this because I'm upset but I'm really anxious to see a new QB new year because of this.

I'm not happy but I expected a 4 lose season. It's the play calling/coaching what has really got me down.

Jon--
What do you mean you were called into Alfords office? What heated exchanges have you had and about what topics?

texashawk17 & dekhawks are right on....anyway, I tried to give myself time to calm down from this game, so we'll see how this goes... For me, this season has become a disappointment. Again, another season where we're highly ranked & high expectations but can't step up. I love the hawks and ferentz but get very frustrated with the ultra conservative style. For two straight weeks the offense can't put points on poor defenses. we play not to lose vs. playing to win. Why wait for the fourth quarter to open up the playbook when we have a sr qb and experienced wr's? no confindence in them? unbelievable. And can we have some creative plays that aren't a 3yd pass to the wr on 3rd & 8?? or have more than one wr option further than 10 yds? it ticks me off we can't make adjustments & open things to our "slightly aggressive" plays after the first quarter vs 4th.. maybe we bring it on ourselves as fans, expecting better than this... I'll be cheering them on again next week and have no doubt we'll give OSU a game but good teams play up vs the good teams, the poor & average teams..

Jon--
What do you mean you were called into Alfords office? What heated exchanges have you had and about what topics?

When Alford was flirting with Mizzou and then denied it, when I heard first hand from someone on the Mizzou search committee that they were actively talking to Alford's representatives (agent/dad), I said on the radio that I no longer believed in what Alford had to say about the job stuff, and that he was hurting the Iowa program.

They didn't like that. Asked if I would come in and meet, so I did.

As for what transpired after that, it was pretty frank, but not worth going in to.

BING BING BING...We have a winner! My thoughts exactly! I didn't count the plays but going from the 20 yd to the 35 yd had to take something like 8 plays. Did anyone count? I was lying in bed (in Japan 0445) and getting fustrated with the five yard out patterns. What the heck! We have a seasoned QB with timeouts and do five yard patterns? I definitely hold Stanzi responsible as well. Taking those sacks killed us. Still hasn't learned anything about throwing it away, etc. I am not saying this because I'm upset but I'm really anxious to see a new QB new year because of this.

I'm not happy but I expected a 4 lose season. It's the play calling/coaching what has really got me down.

Iowa's final possession covered 35 yards, and it was 15 plays. That's just over 2 yards per play. I can't get on Stanzi for the sack; he never even had a chance to get his feet set.

Latest posts