Lincoln Riley to USC leaving Oklahoma

Who would have thought 3 months ago when OU & UT announced they were joining the SEC, that they'd make the SEC worse off. Apparently OU is losing 5*s like crazy right now.

Oklahoma have any recruits worth purging? I've seen 5 have jumped ship already. We have our Qb in May (from Oklahoma ironically enough) but besides that what do we need?

I am a big fan of unintended consequences.
Lets see if I'm reading your mind. Such as him leaving due to Oklahoma going to the SEC? I have a feeling that's on the list of reasons but isn't necessarily the reason he's left. But if one is looking years down the road at all it'd be tough not to see how going to the SEC will make that OU job tougher not easier/better. USC has it's perks to it and being in the PAC 12 with only Oregon to really be scared of should be one of em..

This is a smart move for Riley. He can go dominate in a bigger market while Oklahoma will become another Arkansas in the SEC.

I'm pretty sure this played into the decision along with $$ although I do not know the details of that. He prob wasn't too excited when OK announced they wanted to move to the SEC for the reasons stated above.

The USC job does bring challenges of its own. To my understanding it's a challenge to get assistant coaches unless USC is will to pay top $$$. The problem with USC is where the university is located and coaches have to drive and long to get to the university. This commute turns some coaches off. I saw a segment on a sports shows once about this. This is a huge neg coaching in Los Angeles.

But, if he can get the coaches there and has the $$$ backing from the university, he could dominate the PAC 14 or whatever it is.

Interesting.

It makes sense to me. Texas and OU are, for now, ghost ships sailing toward SEC waters. I think what he is doing is smart. Why go the SEC and become an average team. Go to USC, green pastures and build something special.

Calling him chicken or afraid is simply childish. He's doing the smart thing.

If Texas remains in the tank and if OU takes a dip next year... will they reconsider the move to the SEC?

will the SEC try to accelerate their entry to the conference?

will they withdraw from SEC and approach BigTen?

Will they have a home?

Texas could be an independent if they wanted to be.

There were rumors out there that he was a candidate for the TCU job. TCU is a private institution so we may never know if he actually interviewed for the job or not.
That actually would be a really interesting fit. Ferentzball can win in the Little 12. Ferentzball with a 20% better offense than Kirk's average would win that conference 50% of the time when Oklahoma leaves.

It makes sense to me. Texas and OU are, for now, ghost ships sailing toward SEC waters. I think what he is doing is smart. Why go the SEC and become an average team. Go to USC, green pastures and build something special.

If Texas remains in the tank and if OU takes a dip next year... will they reconsider the move to the SEC?

Will they have a home?

They'd need to actually be good to beat the money the SEC and Big Ten are bringing in over the next ten years. The average Texas alum thinks they can be, I am sure, but with all of their advantages they can't manage to be above average in the most middling of conferences.

Will they have a home?

All good points, I think they are fools to enter the SEC waters. They can be kings in the conference they are already in....and even then they are struggling against the middle and lower levels teams in the Big 12.

All good points, I think they are fools to enter the SEC waters. They can be kings in the conference they are already in....and even then they are struggling against the middle and lower levels teams in the Big 12.
Is Texas able to keep their own channel when they join the SEC?

Great move for Riley. There are ways around soCal traffic...am guessing he'll get unlimited access to a helicopter and landing pad next to the practice field! USC has some issues, but my goodness that's a sleeping giant: what, 10-12 million population within 30 miles? And 1 or 2 schools to recruit against (UCLA & AZ St.)? It's an incredible opportunity. No reason they shouldn't be in the hunt for a national title most years.

SEC may be entering the be careful what you wish for era if Oklahoma becomes something other than the Oklahoma they "recruited".

I think the BIG is still waiting for the Nebraska futures to pay off. It certainly hasn't paid off based on performance at this stage.