Lickliter finds a home with RedHawks

In small defense of Lick playing his son, who else should have been playing the backup point? I forget was Neari a point guard or was there someone else on the roster that could have played?

He could of found someone at the Fieldhouse with more talent. Yes, I am serious. He couldn't start for a DIII school in Indiana and was playing in the B1G?

He wouldn't of had an issue at PG, if he hadn't driven players away.

He could of found someone at the Fieldhouse with more talent. Yes, I am serious. He couldn't start for a DIII school in Indiana and was playing in the B1G?

He wouldn't of had an issue at PG, if he hadn't driven players away.

Yeah ok, you are right. I am not going to defend Lick anymore as I threw up in my mouth after the last time.

I promised the Iowa basketball gods that I wouldn't hold any ill feelings towards Lick as long as Iowa got rid of him.

''But Dad, its 6 million dollars for 3 years work''

Barta blew this one,but may have saved his skin with the mulligan.
Just glad that Barta recognized his mistake and cut his losses.

I think he was a good guy. I think he had integrity. I think he is a good teacher and coach.

His weakness, was recruiting at the B1G level. I think he was at his zenith at Butler. The real error was the AD at a B1G school who hired him.

He is a criminal for what he did to the Iowa basketball program.

The reason he has stayed quiet is because he is still the what the 2nd highest paid employee in the state. Let's wait and see how quiet he is when he loses that check. So glad he is gone!!!

He was so over his head here. He had no idea how to turn the program around and showed that. It's real easy to move somewhere else and claim it was going to work and was ready to turn around. There is only one measuring stick...wins and loses. He was an incredible mistake, thank god I am not watching that boring crap any more. Feel sorry for Wisconsin Bo ball is the same crap.

Little Lick even suiting up for the Hawks was the biggest travesty of the Lick Era at Iowa. This followed closely by Lick being the head coach.

The Iowa job was and is a tough job. Having to compete against big ten schools without as good of resources in a state with not a lot of talent and taking over for a guy that had a lot of bad PR relations with the fans. It takes a certain person and energy level to breakthrough all that and build. Clearly Lick didn't have it. He was getting sucked down with the negativity which was causing players to leave since he had little relationship with them out of basketball. The more players left the more he got sucked down.

He was not going to break out of this. If he really believes that than he is delusional.

Fran has the energy. I bet if you ask Fran he will tell you it is probably harder than he thought but you see Fran still fighting. That is why his team keeps bouncing back after bad losses and why players are not transferring.

Its hard to believe that a 7+ page thread is devoted to one of the worst 10 year period in Iowa basketball history.

Bottom line is this; alford was in over his head when he got to Iowa. He finally was turning things around when Noodles came on the scene but the division between fan and coach was going to be there until he showed he could win in the post season. His final nail in the coffin was Tyler Smith transferring. For those of you that don't think Smith was gone then you just don't have a clue. I know Tyler Smith, I know his cousin. There is way more to the story on how he got to Iowa and why he left Iowa than most will ever know.

In comes Lick. The guy is droopy with a whistle. He had one basketball accolade to his name and he got it with a lot of help. He just happened to be in the right place at the right time with Butler and simply steered the ship. He came to Iowa and tried to implement a system that if on a team was winning the players would be ok with (see Wisconsin) but we sucked. It was boring to watch and had to kill the players to play it. We had a ton of transfers with the top player each year leaving the program. We should have pulled the chute a year earlier - errr...never hired the guy to begin with.

Combine a coach (alford) that was learning on the job followed with a coach that can manage a good team but has no business building a team and you end up with 10+ yrs of pent up frustration.

We now have the guy that should have been here all along. He has this program in the conversation again.

No, most coaches cannot turn a program around in 3 years. However, fans want to be excited that something good is going to happen with the program. There was no excitement or "feel good" about the program. It would be interesting to see how long he actually thought it was going to take to turn the program into "Butler?" He simply did not know how to rebuild a major conference school nor did he know what to do.

Sure the facilities were not great but that was not the reason he was a complete failure.

He couldn't keep players, the style of bb was very boring, he could not relate to players, attendance had fallen dramatically (AND THAT was his job to keep the place full), and he was not a good recruiter. Iowa would not have Woodbury and Gesell and the rest coming next year. He is made for a mid-major job at best.

He is Iowa's all-time worst coach during his stay. With Lickliter, there was NO light at the end of the tunnel. Not that difficult.

Had he remained this would have been his 5th year and Iowa would still be one of the two worst programs in the conference, if not the worst. Nothing would have changed...

Worst coach in any sport.

The transfers ended up being a blessing. Without them it would have been a slower more painful end that Iowa may have never been able to recover from.

Licklieter made Alford look like John Wooden.

The Iowa job was and is a tough job. Having to compete against big ten schools without as good of resources in a state with not a lot of talent and taking over for a guy that had a lot of bad PR relations with the fans. It takes a certain person and energy level to breakthrough all that and build. Clearly Lick didn't have it. He was getting sucked down with the negativity which was causing players to leave since he had little relationship with them out of basketball. The more players left the more he got sucked down.

He was not going to break out of this. If he really believes that than he is delusional.

Fran has the energy. I bet if you ask Fran he will tell you it is probably harder than he thought but you see Fran still fighting. That is why his team keeps bouncing back after bad losses and why players are not transferring.

IOWA is no different from Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana or North Carolina. All small out of trendy states.

Of course Kansas had the original with Naismith and the Dean who left and then who Roy (for UNC) who also left and a Self.

How Kansas has survived and prospered is the first BIG question.. WILT anyone?

Adolf Rupp nuff said and thanks that Iowa hasn't sold old over the years with Joe B., Eddie s, pitty, billy g and the master coach Cal at "exploiting" amatuer-student-athletes,, is not that the model for the NCAA over the last few years...

one and done... yeah that's the ticket to college and higher education.

She's calling later about U of I, UNC and how they are no different.. no better and the fans are spoiled and have no clue

Its hard to believe that a 7+ page thread is devoted to one of the worst 10 year period in Iowa basketball history.

Bottom line is this; alford was in over his head when he got to Iowa. He finally was turning things around when Noodles came on the scene but the division between fan and coach was going to be there until he showed he could win in the post season. His final nail in the coffin was Tyler Smith transferring. For those of you that don't think Smith was gone then you just don't have a clue. I know Tyler Smith, I know his cousin. There is way more to the story on how he got to Iowa and why he left Iowa than most will ever know.

In comes Lick. The guy is droopy with a whistle. He had one basketball accolade to his name and he got it with a lot of help. He just happened to be in the right place at the right time with Butler and simply steered the ship. He came to Iowa and tried to implement a system that if on a team was winning the players would be ok with (see Wisconsin) but we sucked. It was boring to watch and had to kill the players to play it. We had a ton of transfers with the top player each year leaving the program. We should have pulled the chute a year earlier - errr...never hired the guy to begin with.

Combine a coach (alford) that was learning on the job followed with a coach that can manage a good team but has no business building a team and you end up with 10+ yrs of pent up frustration.

We now have the guy that should have been here all along. He has this program in the conversation again.

Bo and Licklieter may both want to play slow but the huge difference is Wisconsin usually has good size.

Lickliter had a whole team of guys who were all smaller, slower and less athletic than the opponents they were facing every night and then on top of that they tried to play slow ball.

It was with out a doubt the most ill conceived system possible.

Agree on the instate talent but Iowa athletic department has more money than allot of successful basketball programs.

Bowlsby was just negligent in allocating the proper funds to stay competitive in the facilities department which is a killer.

You must have a practice facility to compete for recruits in the BIG, Iowa could of and should of had one along time ago.

Alfraud and the lick = a traditon destroyed. As a kid Iowa made the tourney ever year the last ten have been brutal. Time to take our state back.

Latest posts