Lickliter finds a home with RedHawks

He lost all credibility for me when he played his kid. That was an insane act.

Lickliter is a good man but he was in way over his head at Iowa. He just wasn't ready to coach or recruit at the Big Ten level. I'm not sure he ever will be.

Why do people continue to say that he was a good man? Is there any proof of this at all?

The guy is one of the worst coaches in the history of the Big Ten.

Why do people continue to say that he was a good man? Is there any proof of this at all?

The guy is one of the worst coaches in the history of the Big Ten.

I just don't think the conference was ready to adapt to the level of a National Coach of the Year and great teacher and recruiter like Todd Lickliter.

Im so happy that guy is away from the Iowa program. Lets move on to bigger and better things. Like making a run in the BTT!!

His son was the worst player in Big 10 History and I am counting the girls.

He was a joke! I am so glad he is gone.

Yep, it was gonna work. Anthony Tucker was drying out, Brendan Cougill was losing weight and gaining motivation, Cully Payne was growing a quarter inch a night...as soon as all these things happened, and then each of them acquired, you know, division I basketball skills, too, we were set. Those things don't happen overnight.

Sometimes they don't happen in 5 years, either, which, you know, was maybe why it was also not gonna work.

Yeah, especially to a paper in Dayton, OH? You ever been to this place?

Let me tell you a good thing to do there? Pack up your bags and get the **** out.

The Air Force Museum is pretty awesome. Way better than the Smithsonian's Air and Space or Udvar Hazy Museums.

“To Todd’s credit, Iowa pulls the plug on everybody they get. They don’t understand — it’s Iowa.

“Their facilities aren’t that great. It’s not the best of programs. Why they wouldn’t keep a guy like him, I don’t get it. They were going to be pretty good with the players he was bringing in. He’s just a wonderful, wonderful teacher. There’s something special about him. It’s too bad Iowa couldn’t see it.â€

We pull the plug on everybody we get? I bet we've released fewer men's basketball and football coaches in the past 3 decades than the majority of the Big 10 schools as we've seen only 2 basketball coaches let go.

Add in women's basketball and wrestling as the next 2 biggest sports at Iowa and I'm guessing we're still in the lower half pretty easily as we've fired 1 in each sport during that time.

That makes Lick one of 4 coaches let go from Iowa's major sports teams in 30 years. Everybody indeed.

wow, how could you miss this nugget:

I don't doubt Lick may have been a good coach and teacher. But that style of play is not meant for Iowa and the sagging attendance reflected it. Besides, was that recruiting class really that good? Larson was the top rated prospect and rarely sees the court at Florida. Brust is an ok player and I suppose Marble was coming here either way but how many more wins does Iowa win last year with Brust, Larson, and Lick coaching? If Lick was still here is Iowa still getting Gesell and/or Woodbury next season?

No way in hell Woodbury or Gesell come to Iowa if Lick is not fired when he was.

Lol.. that article was such a joke. Gave me a pretty good laugh though. "It was gonna work". Oh you so funny, Todd!

When you intentionally didn't recruit a PG (that's how it seemed at least) in order to start your son, who had NO business stepping on the court for meaningful minutes in a major conference, you pretty much wrote up your own pink slip.

Sorry Todd, but you blew *** at Iowa and were a HORRIBLE coach. And I will never forgive you for pile-driving my favorite basketball program into the ground. Thank goodness for Fran McCaffery.

No, most coaches cannot turn a program around in 3 years. However, fans want to be excited that something good is going to happen with the program. There was no excitement or "feel good" about the program. It would be interesting to see how long he actually thought it was going to take to turn the program into "Butler?" He simply did not know how to rebuild a major conference school nor did he know what to do.

Sure the facilities were not great but that was not the reason he was a complete failure.

He couldn't keep players, the style of bb was very boring, he could not relate to players, attendance had fallen dramatically (AND THAT was his job to keep the place full), and he was not a good recruiter. Iowa would not have Woodbury and Gesell and the rest coming next year. He is made for a mid-major job at best.

He is Iowa's all-time worst coach during his stay. With Lickliter, there was NO light at the end of the tunnel. Not that difficult.

Had he remained this would have been his 5th year and Iowa would still be one of the two worst programs in the conference, if not the worst. Nothing would have changed...

We pull the plug on everybody we get? I bet we've released fewer men's basketball and football coaches in the past 3 decades than the majority of the Big 10 schools as we've seen only 2 basketball coaches let go.

Add in women's basketball and wrestling as the next 2 biggest sports at Iowa and I'm guessing we're still in the lower half pretty easily as we've fired 1 in each sport during that time.

That makes Lick one of 4 coaches let go from Iowa's major sports teams in 30 years. Everybody indeed.

The last basketball coach to be fired was Sharm Scheuerman almost fifty years ago.

What a load of crap. Ive talked to a few guys who played for Lick and it sounds like that guy never had a shot. Practicies were silly and game management was even funnier. That was never going to work, ever.

So many "insiders" on these boards...

I guess I wonder why so many have to continue to tear Lick down. Why not let the guy get on with his life?

He wants to coach. He's getting a chance, as an assistant. Let it go.

What a load of crap. Ive talked to a few guys who played for Lick and it sounds like that guy never had a shot. Practicies were silly and game management was even funnier. That was never going to work, ever.
So many "insiders" on these boards...I guess I wonder why so many have to continue to tear Lick down. Why not let the guy get on with his life?He wants to coach. He's getting a chance, as an assistant. Let it go.

Agreed.

We are 14-13 and this team feels like the Globetrotters compared to Lickball. I wish him well but it was NEVER going to work at Iowa.

I guess I wonder why so many have to continue to tear Lick down. Why not let the guy get on with his life?

Screw that!

Those of you that have insider info keep posting. This is called a forum not a classroom where you are expected to sit down and shut up. If you do not like what you are reading then don't read it. You tired of reading Lick threads then do not open them.

Normally I would agree with you, but I don't think this qualifies as one of those random "Tear Lick down because we scorred 80 points" type thread. There is news today and quotes about the possibility of his success at Dayton.

Granted there are some posts that are just a matter of going on record again as saying "I don't like the guy" and there is certainly the scent of rotting horse carcass in the air but there is some decent talk too.

I don't think anyone can for sure say that Todd wouldn't have turned the ship, but all indications were that it was a long shot and even if it were going to happen it was going to take a long time.

I think one thing that can be said for certain is that Iowa fans were not interested in watching slow, deliberate basketball and that the arena was going to continue to empty out. From just that you can deduce with certainty that it is harder to recruit to an empty arena, and revenues drop.

It is also un-arguable that he was losing transfers at a record pace and that by itself is an enormous warning flag.

Is it possible that he could have taken one of these unspetacular teams on an inspiring run and turned it around? It's plausable but I wouldn't bet my program on it.

Latest posts