Liam Robbins in Transfer Portal!

This thread has been hijacked! Anyone got any more info on how serious a contender we are. I cannot imagine a better fit for the kid. Home state school. Likely steps right in as a starter, and is being coached by folks who just graduated the Wooden Award Winner at his position.
I read through a thread on rivals. Someone on there has access to Liam's mom. Says he really likes the coaches and will decide soon. Also said Luka called him which is pretty cool.

Some interesting info today:

And:

I think Dort, 5 star prospect, is class of 22, so it appears that there is potential for Robbins to step in right away............

Not sure why he would want to go so far from home when a golden opportunity awaits at Iowa, but he did follow his uncle to the twin cities, so there is that to consider.

I will get roasted for this but I think Murray is a more important piece to this team than Weezy. Keegan played like a veteran this year other than fouling a lot, and that's something he's already said he was aware of and was working on. I'd definitely rather have a guy who was aggressive playing defense and rebounding than one who's holding back.

Murray was by far the smoothest player to the basket and it seemed like he always finished. Some of those reverse layups he got to fall in traffic were things of beauty. He plays hard D and gets down the floor, I just see him being the centerpiece next season.

No roasting here, although I hate comparing some college players and saying who's better. They are different players.

But, to your point, Murry has a great overall game and affects the game in so many ways. The most impressive thing about him to me playing as a freshman this year is that he always played within himself or what the goal of the team was or within the rhythm of the game. He didn't rush bad shots or really take any ill-advised shots. He seemed to have a great understanding of the situations of games, took care of the ball. He provided a calming affect to the team I believe. He always seemed to get that rebound coming from nowhere or tipping a ball that Iowa would pick up. It was those kinds of things.

He actually has enough of a decent 3 pt shot where he can stretch the defense a bit, or at least they have to honor it. That will get more consistent going forward. He has one of the most "effortless" jumps that I've seen in a long time from a player. His dunks just seem so smooth like he's hardly having to jump. It's actually kind of strange.

I wasn't nervous when he had the ball like with most freshman.

And:

I think Dort, 5 star prospect, is class of 22, so it appears that there is potential for Robbins to step in right away............

Not sure why he would want to go so far from home when a golden opportunity awaits at Iowa, but he did follow his uncle to the twin cities, so there is that to consider.

How the hell does Vanderbilt get a 5 star player? How the hell does Iowa never get them?

And:

Vanderbilt is going to be a serious contender for Robbins. They are coached by former NBA player Jerry Stackhouse, Scotty Pippen Jr is on the team, and they have a huge need at Center as well. With his uncle going there as a coach Vandy could be the favorite.

Fingers crossed that playing close to home has any importance to Robbins. He only has 2 years of eligibility remaining (I think), Vanderbilt is a bit more risky if you are wanting to play on a team that has a good shot at the NCAA tournament. I also can't help but wonder how patient Vanderbilt will be with Stackhouse if hey have another crappy season.

If we land Robbins, JW returns, JBO doesn't, and everyone else progresses in a normal manner, I am down with this team being a Top 25 teams. Now, those first two are still mighty big Ifs.

I agree that it would be a different team, and Luka's shoes are big ones to fill, but if you are thinking about trying to be last year's team next year, you are looking at it the wrong way. Next year will just be a very differently constructed squad. we will be better on defense, faster on offense, and more run and gun. There are experienced pieces coming back, but we absolutely need an experienced center from the transfer portal to be viable. This kid is that.

There were times at the end of this year that I wondered if they were focusing to much trying to get it into Garza. These were games where Iowa has a stretch of losses.

A part of me thinks at the end they did kind of get too much tunnel vision on Garza which ended up hurting or interrupting the team play aspect. It just seemed the balance was amiss at times in the end.

I keep going back and comparing the games to the North Carolina game where several players were involved and bombing shots. Garza was having success along with others. NC really didn't have an answer. I was so hoping it was going to be like that or similar throughout the season.

Once the injuries started to happen, I think the team kind of got tunnel vision on Garza. That is not that unheard of, though, when a players is having that kind of success or the potential for that success every game.

Vanderbilt is going to be a serious contender for Robbins. They are coached by former NBA player Jerry Stackhouse, Scotty Pippen Jr is on the team, and they have a huge need at Center as well. With his uncle going there as a coach Vandy could be the favorite.

Fingers crossed that playing close to home has any importance to Robbins. He only has 2 years of eligibility remaining (I think), Vanderbilt is a bit more risky if you are wanting to play on a team that has a good shot at the NCAA tournament. I also can't help but wonder how patient Vanderbilt will be with Stackhouse if hey have another crappy season.

Yea, but put yourself in the shoes of a 20 year old. How hoke does it look following your uncle around like a puppy dog. He doesn't want it to make it look like he's reliant on his uncle for opportunities or success, I believe. It would be in my mind at that age. The kid may have no interest in Nashville or Vanderbilt. He also may want to play in the BIG 10 where he knows the league and players. I don't know, though.

I think his chances of coming to Iowa is around 65-70%.. Just me though.

You’re not being cautious. Okay, then you’re just being negative and definitely have no idea what you’re talking about. There’s talent on this roster at multiple positions.
Ok I certainly knew what I was talking about when I said that we were highly overrated this year when they put us at #3 didn’t I? I knew what I was talking about when I said that JBo would lay an egg against the better teams in the country and that our guards were going to be a liability against any team with a pulse didn’t I?

I’m just sharing my opinion of the lack of talent. You don’t have to agree or get upset about it. If your fantasy land outcome happens next year I will be just as happy as you and feel free to reference this post and then tell me that I don’t know what I’m talking about. I’ll stick with my NIT prediction.

Ok I certainly knew what I was talking about when I said that we were highly overrated this year when they put us at #3 didn’t I? I knew what I was talking about when I said that JBo would lay an egg against the better teams in the country and that our guards were going to be a liability against any team with a pulse didn’t I?

I’m just sharing my opinion of the lack of talent. You don’t have to agree or get upset about it. If your fantasy land outcome happens next year I will be just as happy as you and feel free to reference this post and then tell me that I don’t know what I’m talking about. I’ll stick with my NIT prediction.
We ended up dropping all the way down to 5th so you were right.

This thread has been hijacked! Anyone got any more info on how serious a contender we are. I cannot imagine a better fit for the kid. Home state school. Likely steps right in as a starter, and is being coached by folks who just graduated the Wooden Award Winner at his position.

The wife of a guy on "the other site" works with Liam's Mom. She has confirmed the phone calls with Fran, the surprise call from Luka (that lasted an hour) and that IOWA is in a very positive position. They like Fran and the program...Mom would love him to choose Iowa...but it's his decision.

He's taking his time to consider all the options and will probably announce in a week or so. Could always follow his Uncle to Vandy...maybe he'll put the hard sell on his nephew.

Vanderbilt also has the absolute coolest arena in all of sports, amateur or professional, foreign or domestic. Just saying.

Chad Leistikow of the Register reports that according to his sources within the program that Iowa is recruiting Robbins. No zoom meetings have yet been set up.

There were times at the end of this year that I wondered if they were focusing to much trying to get it into Garza. These were games where Iowa has a stretch of losses.

A part of me thinks at the end they did kind of get too much tunnel vision on Garza which ended up hurting or interrupting the team play aspect. It just seemed the balance was amiss at times in the end.

I keep going back and comparing the games to the North Carolina game where several players were involved and bombing shots. Garza was having success along with others. NC really didn't have an answer. I was so hoping it was going to be like that or similar throughout the season.

Once the injuries started to happen, I think the team kind of got tunnel vision on Garza. That is not that unheard of, though, when a players is having that kind of success or the potential for that success every game.
I think his teammates really liked him. They were probably pretty confident he could/would score. But I don’t disagree with your tunnel vision observation.

Vanderbilt also has the absolute coolest arena in all of sports, amateur or professional, foreign or domestic. Just saying.

Huh? Eye of the beholder. It may be a cool building but the basketball court is waaay too far from the stands. and what's with the benches on the endline. (I'm surprised the NCAA doesn't have it in the rules that benches are on the sideline).

No thanks

Last edited:
Huh? It's a shit show for basketball. Stands waaay back from the floor. The benches are on the end line. It may be a great center for performing arts or other sports...but basketball? No thanks.
I think it's cool. Especially with the lighting during games.

Uncle - I didn’t get the HC job but the assistant position at Vandy looks like it’s going to happen.

Liam - Congrats! When will you know for sure?

Uncle - It should be official by early next week.

Liam - Okay. Just let me know so I can commit to Iowa once the contract is signed.

Uncle - Yep.

Yea, but put yourself in the shoes of a 20 year old. How hoke does it look following your uncle around like a puppy dog. He doesn't want it to make it look like he's reliant on his uncle for opportunities or success, I believe. It would be in my mind at that age. The kid may have no interest in Nashville or Vanderbilt. He also may want to play in the BIG 10 where he knows the league and players. I don't know, though.

I think his chances of coming to Iowa is around 65-70%.. Just me though.
Yeah that's what I'd think too. At this point. Before when he went from Drake to MN he still wasn't looked at as a monster of a get (even though he probably shoulda been) so him going there following him made sense. Now the kid has options. He can cherry pick what HE wants. Which is all one can really hope for. I would think Iowa has a lot going for it in regards to instant PT close to home etc etc etc.

Vandy just landed a couple stud recruits. After having a pitiful season. Couple of them really Stackhouse was on the hot seat. I wonder if McDonalds bags were involved with their recruitment... How a program like that lands not 1 but a couple stud recruits with no obvious ties to em is eye brow raising... But that's college hoops

Vandy just landed a couple stud recruits. After having a pitiful season. Couple of them really Stackhouse was on the hot seat. I wonder if McDonalds bags were involved with their recruitment... How a program like that lands not 1 but a couple stud recruits with no obvious ties to em is eye brow raising... But that's college hoops

Maybe they confused Vanderbilt with Villanova......... :)

Latest posts