Liam Robbins in Transfer Portal!

I will get roasted for this but I think Murray is a more important piece to this team than Weezy. Keegan played like a veteran this year other than fouling a lot, and that's something he's already said he was aware of and was working on. I'd definitely rather have a guy who was aggressive playing defense and rebounding than one who's holding back.

Murray was by far the smoothest player to the basket and it seemed like he always finished. Some of those reverse layups he got to fall in traffic were things of beauty. He plays hard D and gets down the floor, I just see him being the centerpiece next season.
I'm not going to roast you, but I do think you're a year off on that prediction. Mostly because of how good Wieskamp played the last half of the year. He was hunting shots like crazy and shooting 60% from 3. If he comes back, he will probably have a better year that Jok did his senior year. If Keegan can top that, it will be really good for us, bit I doubt that happens. He is really really good tho. I'm hoping Kris can look next year like Keegan did this year. Add in CJ and Robbins and you would have a hell of a lot more than an NIT at best roster.

I will get roasted for this but I think Murray is a more important piece to this team than Weezy. Keegan played like a veteran this year other than fouling a lot, and that's something he's already said he was aware of and was working on. I'd definitely rather have a guy who was aggressive playing defense and rebounding than one who's holding back.

Murray was by far the smoothest player to the basket and it seemed like he always finished. Some of those reverse layups he got to fall in traffic were things of beauty. He plays hard D and gets down the floor, I just see him being the centerpiece next season.
How is his 3 point shooting at this time?

Yeah, yeah, yeah. This team was all about Garza. And, news flash. Kids graduate every year and must be replaced. Next year’s Iowa team will be “all about” someone else. Or, maybe a combo of two or three, which is pretty commonplace with most teams. Next Hawk team will create their own, very different style. I have no idea at this point how good Iowa will be, how good other BT teams will be. I don’t know our home/away schedule and don’t know if we will suffer any injuries. I don’t know about transfers, at Iowa or other BT teams. I do know that there are lots of opinions out there, which are presented as facts. I also know my opinion is almost entirely correct, as stated above.

If we land Robbins, JW returns, JBO doesn't, and everyone else progresses in a normal manner, I am down with this team being a Top 25 teams. Now, those first two are still mighty big Ifs.

I agree that it would be a different team, and Luka's shoes are big ones to fill, but if you are thinking about trying to be last year's team next year, you are looking at it the wrong way. Next year will just be a very differently constructed squad. we will be better on defense, faster on offense, and more run and gun. There are experienced pieces coming back, but we absolutely need an experienced center from the transfer portal to be viable. This kid is that.

He was a 12 and 7 guy at Minnesota. Can he be a 15 and 8 guy at Iowa? Absolutely. He is just as good, if not better than Luka, hedging screens and operating in space on the perimeter defensively. Not going to get a big drop off defensively.

Don't get it twisted....he isn't Luka. Not even close on the offensive end. However, if Fran can land that dude, it would be huge. Potential difference maker.

If you get roasted for this then include me in on that roast. Iowa needs a HUGE year out of Murray next season and all the signs are there that he's going to be a terrific player. I'm also holding out hope that his brother also breaks out.

If you get roasted for this then include me in on that roast. Iowa needs a HUGE year out of Murray next season and all the signs are there that he's going to be a terrific player. I'm also holding out hope that his brother also breaks out.

Keegan gave you 7 and 5 this year. Where do the numbers have to be to have a huge impact next year? 12 and 7? He shot 29.6 from 3, if that goes up to 33 or 34, then we are talking 15 and 7, at that point you have something.

I agree. We’re obviously much better with both. But if I had to choose I would want Keegan.

Side Note - I’m hopeful Kris next year can contribute as much as Keegan did this year. With those 2 and Patrick flying around there will be hands everywhere...dunks, rebounds, contested shots, passing lanes, pressing, etc.

You always say stuff like this. I assume you’re just cautious by nature and don’t want to get your hopes up. And that’s cool.

If Robbins doesn’t come I will be less optimistic about next year. But my current optimism won’t cause me to have a mental breakdown if we go 6-14 in the BT. I’ll just be a little bummed.
I’m not being cautious I just know that we lack talent. It’s so obvious to anyone that has ever played basketball. Outside of Weezy, we have nobody. Keegan has a bright future but he’s never going to take over games. We need athletic guards and a big bad.

One good thing about Fran not putting enough priority on defense is he puts a huge priority on offense. Fran's offense is a decent percentage of the reason Garza put up those numbers. No one player needs to make up his numbers tho. They just need to find a way to make up for the loss of his high efficiency.
I mainly just think the new guys coming in next year are inexperienced and that there's no way IMO that next year won't be a drop off. Two years from now? We'll see.

I've been watching Iowa basketball long enough (since the mid 1980's) to know that years after we lose a lot of production (like right now), there has traditionally been a fairly sharp drop off.

1989-90: No postseason (BJ, Roy, Ed graduated)
1993-94: No postseason (Earl, Barnes graduated, Kevin Smith left, and Chris Street)
1999-00: No postseason (Settles, Koch, McCausland, etc. were gone)
2006-07: No postseason (Haluska, Horner, Brunner all gone)
2016-17: NIT (Gesell, Woodbury, etc. gone)

One exception I can think of was the 1996-97 team. That team finished 2nd in the Big 10 and took Kentucky to the wire in the 2nd round. That, after losing Millard, Murray, Kingsbury from the year before, and Settles was also supposed to be on that team but had the back injury. That team did also have a guy running the point who led the conference in scoring and assists, yet somehow didn't win B10 POY, and we won't have anyone like that at PG unless someone really emerges... Woolridge was a senior, though.

This all assumes Wieskamp is gone, and if he returns this changes my narrative, but we are presumably losing Garza, Bohannon, and Nunge for sure. Anyone else?

If Robbins joins us and JW comes back - I can see NCAA tournament. We'll just have to see how it shakes out. The roster is hardly set. I just expect next year to be a rebuild type year due to general inexperience and how these types of things have gone in the past.
Don't ask me why or for specifics, but I think our guard play will surprise next year. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I’m not being cautious I just know that we lack talent. It’s so obvious to anyone that has ever played basketball. Outside of Weezy, we have nobody. Keegan has a bright future but he’s never going to take over games. We need athletic guards and a big bad.
You’re not being cautious. Okay, then you’re just being negative and definitely have no idea what you’re talking about. There’s talent on this roster at multiple positions.

This is a fair and insightful post/question and I will give my opinion and reason for optimism. Please remember this is my opinion not a statement of fact.

When Robbins got hurt I thought he was developing into a special player. IMO he was looking like the 2nd best center in the conference. He defends. He shoots the 3. He gets to the line. He plays hard. He didn’t play dirty or act like a punk...Fran won’t even take him if he is.

I also like that he’s a self made man. He took a unique path. He lost weight. He worked hard. He proved himself at the mid major level. He proved himself at the BT level IMO.

And I don’t expect him to be Garza. I think he helps cover a fair amount of what we lost in Garza. And he’s not a freshman. He’s fully developed physical D1 major conference talent.

His presence could also make current players and potential transfers think more highly of Iowa’s prospects for next year...helping offset some more of Garza’s loss.

Side Note - I expect Keegan, Patrick and others to improve and also help offset Garza’s lost contributions.

Edit - If he had stayed healthy I think MN makes the NCAA Tournament.
We now need another big. You cannot replace Luka.

I love the guy. He's already pretty good, but add a bit more strength and if he can improve his shooting some, he'd be dynamite. Defensively, he's a lot like his old man. Very active, gets a lot of deflections, tips and steals.
He has a brother too!

I just don't think we've seen enough of Perkins and Ulis to say they can't be a better +/- than Bohannon was this year. I think it's entirely possible we will end up with better all around point guard play next year. That means we will be upgraded at the 1 through 4 spots. Robbins is far from Luka offensively but it sure seems like his defense will help close that gap. If I had to guess I would say last year's team beats next year's team, but they don't have to play each other. If the conference is worse and our 1 plays are better, it could easily make up for us not being as good.

This thread has been hijacked! Anyone got any more info on how serious a contender we are. I cannot imagine a better fit for the kid. Home state school. Likely steps right in as a starter, and is being coached by folks who just graduated the Wooden Award Winner at his position.

Latest posts