Let's face it - we are all waiting for the bottom to fall out

I know how many quality teams there are in the conference...in addition to Iowa. But Michigan State and Michigan are the only 2 on that list that I think are clearly better than us. And I don't consider either of those games automatic losses on our home court. I don't think many teams are going to be looking at their schedule; seeing Iowa; and thinking there's 2 sure wins for us.
Watched a number of acc/big 10 games this week. Iowa can hang with most of the league. But the league is deep this year. No easy games, period. Penn State, Whisky, Northwestern, Minny, every game will be a dogfight. Oh, the officiating and announcing sucked Big time. Purdue was robbed. Announcers were completely biased. ESPN loves them some ACC, best cheaters in the country.

Iowa isn't the best team in the country, but hopefully they will win more conference games than they lose. Its going to be tough if they start of 0 and 2 in the conference.

If you think about it, all 3 power 5 games were 20 point swings from last year. Does losing to Oregon by 7 and going down to the wire with UCONN sound about right for last year's team?

We'll all have to wait 'n see what happens, but 3 wins over P5 teams should count for something. Plus, we'll have ample opportunities to add to them! Gotta be optimistic at this point! Beating Wisc. tomorrow would greatly enhance our national exposure.

Of course, that's why I posted it. Fran getting this team to the NCAA after last year in any shape of form would be an accomplishment and restore a lot of faith I had in him before last year. I'm not going to move that target. I am right there with ya, I don't think it will last (as in top 15 ranking) but I do think the team has enough to dance. The only way Fran was "moving on" after this season was another 14-19 like season, and even then, it was unlikely due to his contract. I don't think we're gonna see that either way.
Things tend to go back to the "mean/average" the more games that are played, the more time that goes by. Over time odds are that Iowa isn't going to be what it has been with these 6 games. Iowa isn't going to keep shooting lights out at the FT line. Moss and Daily aren't going to look like NBA 6th men from long range. Iowa will drift back somewhere and hopefully be better than it has been. (Not a high bar there) My guess is that Iowa will start to be a little "different" in a good way when Connor takes more minutes from JB and Wieskamp take more minutes from the erstwhile NBA 6th men. (above) How this plays out with the team dynamics is a big unknown, as it always is. Iowa has done well because it seems to be a much better coached team this year, credit to the players and coaches for that. It seems that most often, as more and more games are played, the teams with the best talent (quick) get better as they start playing as a team. Teams that are less athletic, like Iowa, can be left behind as the season and tournament progress because, well, talent is talent. Iowa can stay in the conversation of being "good" and "better" than last year and decent if they keep playing smart, with discipline, and with defensive energy. Such teams can improve and are tough to defeat for most teams even if a team is slow footed and without an elite PG or an NBA level type slasher. (Read Iowa here)

The unknown with this team is their psyche. Will they drift back to being soft, basket cases, hanging their heads and blaming or will they use the issues that face them as motivation and end up being better than the "mean/average" that Fran-Ball has become. We have lots of data for "Bad Fran Ball" but not much for "New Fran Ball."

How will Iowa face the "Hot Mike" scandal. How will Iowa deal with new players (and more talented) taking minutes from the Old Guard of "Bad Fran Ball?" Will Cook, be a solid leader or be a bad influence on the team. Cook on the ground forever after taking that "KO" punch for attention isn't what this team needs. Iowa needs stand up leadership and fighters on the team and from the coach. Don't go "sissy" on us guys, this is your time to shine.

The team is playing competitive ball so far. I still expect a middle of the B1G finish. There will be disappointing losses for sure. But I really like the way they are playing so far. Almost like they believe they could win.

This team is slow and you saw what it takes to beat us. An athletic guard. This is not a top 25 team.

I dont know what it takes to beat us because no one has shown me yet. I have seen what athletic guards can do to us when we play lazy defense. Fortunately I saw what athletic guards do when we play hard defense right after that.

We've had good individual performances on offense, but really haven't played great as a team on that end yet. Maybe it's because we haven't been practicing that end as much. If that end of the floor comes together and we keep playing hard on defense, we can be a legit top 15 team.

I dont know what it takes to beat us because no one has shown me yet. I have seen what athletic guards can do to us when we play lazy defense. Fortunately I saw what athletic guards do when we play hard defense right after that.

haven't we seen athletic guards at this point? Or were all the ones we've faced not?

I’m gonna reserve my opinions on this team until I can get a better overall picture of things. 6 games are not enough to show me this team is this or that. Sure we have some significant wins so far, but I’m gonna wait until our nonconf. and first few conf. games play out first. I think by then, we will know exactly what we have here and how far this team can go. So far, so good. Are we deserving of a top 15 rank? We shall see.

Yes. It has fallen out before. We'll see. This season has a chance to be different. I'm a little optimistic because Fran is making corrections IN games, right now. Rather than let them snow ball into multiple losses before he pulls his head out.

This is a good point. We have talked about the team and players alot, but Fran does deserve a little credit here. I won't hide from my posts last season saying I wanted Fran gone, but so far this season his coaching has improved alot. Still a long time to go, and I don't think I will have any faith all year long, but I am optimistic and excited to see if we can keep this up. I sure hope Pemsel returning doesn't turn back into horse shit rotations and pissing games away.

I’m gonna reserve my opinions on this team until I can get a better overall picture of things. 6 games are not enough to show me this team is this or that so far. Sure we have some significant wins so far, but I’m gonna wait until our nonconf. and first few conf. games play out first. I think by then, we will know exactly what we have here and how far this team can go. So far, so good. Are we deserving of a top 15 rank? We shall see.

I'm right there with this, but Iowa IS deserving at this point, because they are 6-0 and won the 2K. Fact is, now Iowa has a target on it's back. Everyone wants to beat the #14 team in the country, so we're going to get teams best look if they can. Iowa is now an early signature win for teams. Good thing we won't wait long for answers, Iowa has 2 conference games in the next 5 days.

We've had good individual performances on offense, but really haven't played great as a team on that end yet. Maybe it's because we haven't been practicing that end as much. If that end of the floor comes together and we keep playing hard on defense, we can be a legit top 15 team.
I don’t think we’ve played our best on offense yet, which gives me reason for additional hope. The problem is I think our free throw number is going to drop significantly, especially when we start playing true road games. If we can’t get the ball into our big man inside we are in big trouble.

I kind of laughed at Jbo’s comment after the game. He said we knew they were going to double our big men inside so we knew we’d have to hit some outside shots. Our guards couldn’t handle the pressure and make post entries to even give Pitt a chance to double the post, so that never really happened.

Things tend to go back to the "mean/average" the more games that are played, the more time that goes by. Over time odds are that Iowa isn't going to be what it has been with these 6 games. Iowa isn't going to keep shooting lights out at the FT line. Moss and Daily aren't going to look like NBA 6th men from long range. Iowa will drift back somewhere and hopefully be better than it has been. (Not a high bar there) My guess is that Iowa will start to be a little "different" in a good way when Connor takes more minutes from JB and Wieskamp take more minutes from the erstwhile NBA 6th men. (above) How this plays out with the team dynamics is a big unknown, as it always is. Iowa has done well because it seems to be a much better coached team this year, credit to the players and coaches for that. It seems that most often, as more and more games are played, the teams with the best talent (quick) get better as they start playing as a team. Teams that are less athletic, like Iowa, can be left behind as the season and tournament progress because, well, talent is talent. Iowa can stay in the conversation of being "good" and "better" than last year and decent if they keep playing smart, with discipline, and with defensive energy. Such teams can improve and are tough to defeat for most teams even if a team is slow footed and without an elite PG or an NBA level type slasher. (Read Iowa here)

The unknown with this team is their psyche. Will they drift back to being soft, basket cases, hanging their heads and blaming or will they use the issues that face them as motivation and end up being better than the "mean/average" that Fran-Ball has become. We have lots of data for "Bad Fran Ball" but not much for "New Fran Ball."

How will Iowa face the "Hot Mike" scandal. How will Iowa deal with new players (and more talented) taking minutes from the Old Guard of "Bad Fran Ball?" Will Cook, be a solid leader or be a bad influence on the team. Cook on the ground forever after taking that "KO" punch for attention isn't what this team needs. Iowa needs stand up leadership and fighters on the team and from the coach. Don't go "sissy" on us guys, this is your time to shine.

Why are we still claiming that we don't have talent? Every coach that we have played has given us our due. They have all said Iowa was a good team. Our "talent" is the reason we are ranked #14. Anyone with eyes can see that the talent in Iowa City is plenty enough to be a top 25 team. The question is can they play up to the talent? Can they keep giving the effort?

Can we kill the bullshit narrative that we are slow and un-athletic yet?

Can we kill the bullshit narrative that we are slow and un-athletic yet?
Does it bother you to be slow and unathletic. Wisconsin went to the NCAA tournament 18 strait years with predominately slow unathletic teams.

Anyway with the addition of Weiskamp and the Nunge redshirt and Pemsl injury, FRAN has been forced to play smaller and quicker lineups, which means to say we are a much more athletic team than we were last year.

I’m gonna reserve my opinions on this team until I can get a better overall picture of things. 6 games are not enough to show me this team is this or that. Sure we have some significant wins so far, but I’m gonna wait until our nonconf. and first few conf. games play out first. I think by then, we will know exactly what we have here and how far this team can go. So far, so good. Are we deserving of a top 15 rank? We shall see.

If you're going to wait that long to form an opinion, you just as well wait until the end of the year.

If you're going to wait that long to form an opinion, you just as well wait until the end of the year.
It’s hard to make a true judgement at this point before Iowa has even played a true road game. Remember last year we trailed by double digits in like every B1G road game? Heck we aren’t even sure if we’ve played a good basketball team yet. (Oregon likely will be at the end of the year)

This is a good point. We have talked about the team and players alot, but Fran does deserve a little credit here. I won't hide from my posts last season saying I wanted Fran gone, but so far this season his coaching has improved alot. Still a long time to go, and I don't think I will have any faith all year long, but I am optimistic and excited to see if we can keep this up. I sure hope Pemsel returning doesn't turn back into horse shit rotations and pissing games away.
I still want him gone. Things are better right now but that doesn't do anything to make me believe he is capable of winning a BIG title. Or getting to a Final Four. That's because we are "slow and un-athletic" when compared to teams that DO win BIG titles and make FFs.

I
Its only been 6 games. Im gonna give it at least 4 more games. But I like what Im seeing so far.

Last edited: