Let's face it - we are all waiting for the bottom to fall out

Absolutely. Last night's game was a 20 point loss last season. It's progress. And I consider it significant progress.
Yeah I mean we were down 6 pts it seemed like most of the time. We'd claw back tie it take the lead by 2 and get down by 6 again. Fighting like they did when they were clearly not at their best offensively in the 2nd half was big and as you said not something that'd have happened last yr. Baer stepped up like we'd like to see him do. We know full well we'll see more games like this in the BIG than the 92-88 scores. So this was a huge barometer to see where we are. I think Pitt is for real. Their pretty young but for them to play like that on the road was impressive too. It's a great feather in our caps for sure

Absolutely. Last night's game was a 20 point loss last season. It's progress. And I consider it significant progress.

If you think about it, all 3 power 5 games were 20 point swings from last year. Does losing to Oregon by 7 and going down to the wire with UCONN sound about right for last year's team?

It is way too early to see what kind of team the Hawks have this year. They are off to a great start, however, and hopefully can keep this going.

Yeah I mean we were down 6 pts it seemed like most of the time. We'd claw back tie it take the lead by 2 and get down by 6 again. Fighting like they did when they were clearly not at their best offensively in the 2nd half was big and as you said not something that'd have happened last yr. Baer stepped up like we'd like to see him do. We know full well we'll see more games like this in the BIG than the 92-88 scores. So this was a huge barometer to see where we are. I think Pitt is for real. Their pretty young but for them to play like that on the road was impressive too. It's a great feather in our caps for sure

Hopefully Baer gets some confidence from this and runs with it the rest of the year.

I think it's the opposite. I think his teams generally start slow because of the number of players seeing time and figuring out the rotation. They didn't make the NCAA two years ago because they couldn't get one more non-conference win against a P5 team early in the season.

I guess I'm not one who doesn't not think we are a 15 team in the country. I think they've proved it to this point. I don't see any reason they can't be ranked in the 12-18 range. I think they have the makeup of a pretty solid team with some length and outside shooters to spread the court. Add into that an inside presence. The outside shooters are only going to get better and more consistent. Weiskamp should have a tremendous year if JoBo gets going along with another to keep the pressure off Weiskamp.

I feel like you started your post saying you think it's the opposite, then agreed with me. Maybe I mistyped something but I'm too lazy to go back and look. I agree with you tho.

I feel like you started your post saying you think it's the opposite, then agreed with me. Maybe I mistyped something but I'm too lazy to go back and look. I agree with you tho.

No, I definitely was agreeing with you. I was referencing what you were referencing in the first couple sentences. After I wrote it, I was wondering if you thought I was thinking opposite of you, which is not the case. I'm not one to make things simple! :cool:

Hopefully Baer gets some confidence from this and runs with it the rest of the year.
His role can be as big as he can handle for sure. I wish he was a better free throw shooter and overall ball handler but he is who he is and I hope he has a monster senior year. He's a crowd fav no doubt about it

No, I definitely was agreeing with you. I was referencing what you were referencing in the first couple sentences. After I wrote it, I was wondering if you thought I was thinking opposite of you, which is not the case. I'm not one to make things simple! :cool:

Lol I wondered if that was the case.

We aren't going to play our best every game. Last night we didn't play well. But we won. And I have been saying since the end of last season that the best NBA prospect on last year's roster was Garza. Last night was a game where the opponent (size, tempo, etc.) made it hard to use Garza effectively. And I believe that's part of the reason we didn't play as well or look as good. Wisconsin is the kind of team and tempo that fits right in Garza's wheelhouse IMO. This is a good thing.

I have no doubt we lose last night's game a year ago. And I certainly haven't seen every team in the country play. But I have seen quite a few. And I haven't seen 14 teams that I think are better than Iowa. I've seen a pool of 15 or 20...after the top 8 to 10...that may or may not be better than Iowa. It's too early to say. But half of our wins are against Oregon, Uconn and Pitt...which is why we're 14th and a comparable team is ranked in the 20s. I don't think we will drop out of the top 25 all season. We'll see.

It's not like we are 6-0 at home. We beat Oregon and Uconn on a neutral floor. And we were in complete control of both games by half time. I find it very hard to believe we won't win some conference road games. Go 8-2 and 5-5 with a 10-1 non conference record and we are easily in the tournament. This seems doable to me.

Now say we get everything clicking on offense...isn't yet IMO. We could be 9-1, 6-4 and 11-0. I have to think that puts us in Des Moines for the NCAAs.

It's not like we are 6-0 at home. We beat Oregon and Uconn on a neutral floor. And we were in complete control of both games by half time. I find it very hard to believe we won't win some conference road games. Go 8-2 and 5-5 with a 10-1 non conference record and we are easily in the tournament. This seems doable to me.

Now say we get everything clicking on offense...isn't yet IMO. We could be 9-1, 6-4 and 11-0. I have to think that puts us in Des Moines for the NCAAs.
I don’t think you understand how many quality teams there are in the B1G. We play Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Maryland, Indiana, and Nebraska at home, and you think we will only have two home losses? That would be an awesome run if they can do it.

13 wins in the B1G will likely have us one or two wins out of 1st place in the league and probably a top 5 seed in the NCAAs. That would be awesome but not sure we are there yet.

I don’t think you understand how many quality teams there are in the B1G. We play Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Maryland, Indiana, and Nebraska at home, and you think we will only have two home losses? That would be an awesome run if they can do it.

13 wins in the B1G will likely have us one or two wins out of 1st place in the league and probably a top 5 seed in the NCAAs. That would be awesome but not sure we are there yet.
I know how many quality teams there are in the conference...in addition to Iowa. But Michigan State and Michigan are the only 2 on that list that I think are clearly better than us. And I don't consider either of those games automatic losses on our home court. I don't think many teams are going to be looking at their schedule; seeing Iowa; and thinking there's 2 sure wins for us.

I know how many quality teams there are in the conference...in addition to Iowa. But Michigan State and Michigan are the only 2 on that list that I think are clearly better than us. And I don't consider either of those games automatic losses on our home court. I don't think many teams are going to be looking at their schedule; seeing Iowa; and thinking there's 2 sure wins for us.
I agree with that Iowa isn’t an easy out either if they continue to play defense. I’m not saying we are a bad team, I just think it’s going to be a constant grind in this league and I think the league champion will be something like 14-6 or 15-5. I see Iowa more in the 10-10 range but I’ve been wrong before.

The bad I saw last night: As compared to Pitt, we have much less athleticism. Them scoring at will almost in the first half brought back memories of last year. The lack of athleticism is not going to allow us to compete with the big boys in the Big 10.

The good I saw: Wieskamp makes a huge difference from last year, a guy who can basically do it all, though not super athletic. He might be the best player on the team already. The changes they made at halftime-credit Fran I guess-regarding their defense and willingness to fight hard and play team defense was encouraging. Like others have pointed out, last year we would have folded and lost by double digits.

Put all these things together in the hopper and I see a bubble team for the NCAA's.

My take:

This team is clearly better than a year ago, and I expected them to be. Like others have said, I don't expect the high ranking to last, either, but we'll see. I'll enjoy it while it lasts. It's not gonna be easy to maintain the ranking once conference play starts. Tough conference.

I don't see any reason this team can't make the NCAA tournament, though.

As for the bottom falling out.. As in "total meltdown".. I've seen it far too many times from Iowa teams to get comfortable. Not just Fran - it happened with Alford's teams a few times, too.

Get to mid or late February, and this team is still playing with a pulse, then maybe I'll believe it's for real. Too many Iowa teams have looked good into January just to have the wheels come off the second time through Big Ten opponents.

Yeah, I'm in "show me" mode. For an entire season, not just a couple months.

The negative posters can't wait.... like, literally, they can't wait. They are going to tell us now even after a W why we teh suck. The positive posters kind of know this might be fools gold but we're excited. We all know this ISN'T likely a top 15 team. Either way, I am thoroughly enjoying the start of this year. I don't expect top 15, heck I don't expect top 25. I expect a NCAA appearance and being ranked this high this early is like playing with house money IMO. This team is winning despite it's flaws and there are many.

But a lot of top ranked teams get fat. Can you imagine the emotions going through these kids heads the last week? With last season and the way Iowa fans flipped on Fran and the team, Jordan etc ... all of em too slow, not good enough... Fire Fran...he's bringing in his kids to ruin Iowa basketball etc... to being ranked in the top 14? Not only did it probably feel pretty good, they are all young enough they might have taken their guard down. It probably went to their head. That doesn't make them mentally weak, it makes them human. Is ok that I call the team "young" when they are winning? I dunno, I'll have to check with Lightning but they are and how you deal with success and failure is part of maturing.

IMO, this kind of dog fight was just what the Dr. ordered. I expect them to beat WI Friday, but if they don't, there will be a lot of hand wringing over nothing IMO. This team is much improved but still has a LONG ways to go to get back to the dance, which IMO is all that matters.

This team is slow and you saw what it takes to beat us. An athletic guard. This is not a top 25 team.

I know these type of rankings don't mean much this early, but Sagarin has us ranked 44th with our SOS at 230th.