Let's face it - we are all waiting for the bottom to fall out

InGoodCo

The negative posters can't wait.... like, literally, they can't wait. They are going to tell us now even after a W why we teh suck. The positive posters kind of know this might be fools gold but we're excited. We all know this ISN'T likely a top 15 team. Either way, I am thoroughly enjoying the start of this year. I don't expect top 15, heck I don't expect top 25. I expect a NCAA appearance and being ranked this high this early is like playing with house money IMO. This team is winning despite it's flaws and there are many.

But a lot of top ranked teams get fat. Can you imagine the emotions going through these kids heads the last week? With last season and the way Iowa fans flipped on Fran and the team, Jordan etc ... all of em too slow, not good enough... Fire Fran...he's bringing in his kids to ruin Iowa basketball etc... to being ranked in the top 14? Not only did it probably feel pretty good, they are all young enough they might have taken their guard down. It probably went to their head. That doesn't make them mentally weak, it makes them human. Is ok that I call the team "young" when they are winning? I dunno, I'll have to check with Lightning but they are and how you deal with success and failure is part of maturing.

IMO, this kind of dog fight was just what the Dr. ordered. I expect them to beat WI Friday, but if they don't, there will be a lot of hand wringing over nothing IMO. This team is much improved but still has a LONG ways to go to get back to the dance, which IMO is all that matters.

People like to say Fran's teams get worse at the end of the year even tho it's only happened twice. One thing that pretty much has always happened tho is we suck at the beginning of the year. If we can somehow beat Wisconsin and ISU, then not shit the bed against the rest of the non conference, we will be by far off to the best start ever under Fran.

I know damn well we dont look like the 14th best team in the nation. But we do look like a team that doesn't have to sweat it on selection Sunday. If we look like this all year, we are in the tourney. If we improve, we could potentially play in Des Moines. If we get worst, we are probably in the NIT. All 3 of those options are very possible right now. It's a big time plus that 2 of the 3 options get us in the tourney. Most people would assume only the improving option would get us in at this point. We are ahead of schedule at this point.

I don’t consider myself a negative poster, but I do see flaws in this team and have pointed them out. Last year was brutal on everyone and got everyone down.

I think there are two sides to it. I know there are posters out there that are eating up this ranking thinking Iowa’s shit don’t stink. If the losses do come they are going to be the posters that say how did we get so much worse or how did Fran choke. On the other side you’ll have the negative guys saying I told you this team sucks. The reality of it is college basketball is a really long season and can be an emotional roller coaster for fans if they swing hard in either direction.

Right now I’ve been extremely happy with where we are at, but I understand that can change quickly. My only goal is to make the NCAA tournament. Right now I’m still not convinced we will be able to do it. The B1G is going to be an absolute grind this year, and if we lose on Friday night we would be likely staring down an 0-3 start in B1G play with a solid Nebraska team coming to town game 4.

The negative posters can't wait.... like, literally, they can't wait. They are going to tell us now even after a W why we teh suck. The positive posters kind of know this might be fools gold but we're excited. We all know this ISN'T likely a top 15 team. Either way, I am thoroughly enjoying the start of this year. I don't expect top 15, heck I don't expect top 25. I expect a NCAA appearance and being ranked this high this early is like playing with house money IMO. This team is winning despite it's flaws and there are many.

But a lot of top ranked teams get fat. Can you imagine the emotions going through these kids heads the last week? With last season and the way Iowa fans flipped on Fran and the team, Jordan etc ... all of em too slow, not good enough... Fire Fran...he's bringing in his kids to ruin Iowa basketball etc... to being ranked in the top 14? Not only did it probably feel pretty good, they are all young enough they might have taken their guard down. It probably went to their head. That doesn't make them mentally weak, it makes them human. Is ok that I call the team "young" when they are winning? I dunno, I'll have to check with Lightning but they are and how you deal with success and failure is part of maturing.

IMO, this kind of dog fight was just what the Dr. ordered. I expect them to beat WI Friday, but if they don't, there will be a lot of hand wringing over nothing IMO. This team is much improved but still has a LONG ways to go to get back to the dance, which IMO is all that matters.
I haven't said a word yet, and like you I have my opinions on the season.

But, do you you think a tiny bit of your post was you thinking the same thing might happen? I mean if you didn't think there was a good likelihood of it you wouldn't post it, right?

Not criticizing, just asking the question.

Personally I don't think it'll last, but I do think they're better than last year. And I think that ranked or not, B1G Tournament good or bad, if Fran doesn't make the NCAA and at least win a game, he should probably move on.

Which I hate, because Fran is one of my favorite coaches of all time.

But we do look like a team that doesn't have to sweat it on selection Sunday.
Just to play devil’s advocate here. I’m not sure if you are a Kenpom guy or not, but as I posted yesterday I believe KenPom would have us as a dog in 9 of our 10 conference road games, and at least 3 home games (including UW). Obviously we can win some games as a dog but we also might drop some as a favorite. They would project Iowa at 8-12 or so.

Live RPI projects Iowa at 7-13 in B1G play

Massey Ratings projects Iowa at 5-15 in B1G play

These computer rankings are flawed, but it’s just something to think about. To me Iowa has played good in 3 games, and they’ve played like shit in 3 games. It’s a positive that that has led to a 6-0 record though.

I haven't said a word yet, and like you I have my opinions on the season.

But, do you you think a tiny bit of your post was you thinking the same thing might happen? I mean if you didn't think there was a good likelihood of it you wouldn't post it, right?

Not criticizing, just asking the question.

Personally I don't think it'll last, but I do think they're better than last year. And I think that ranked or not, B1G Tournament good or bad, if Fran doesn't make the NCAA and at least win a game, he should probably move on.

Which I hate, because Fran is one of my favorite coaches of all time.

Of course, that's why I posted it. Fran getting this team to the NCAA after last year in any shape of form would be an accomplishment and restore a lot of faith I had in him before last year. I'm not going to move that target. I am right there with ya, I don't think it will last (as in top 15 ranking) but I do think the team has enough to dance. The only way Fran was "moving on" after this season was another 14-19 like season, and even then, it was unlikely due to his contract. I don't think we're gonna see that either way.

Just to play devil’s advocate here. I’m not sure if you are a Kenpom guy or not, but as I posted yesterday I believe KenPom would have us as a dog in 9 of our 10 conference road games, and at least 3 home games (including UW). Obviously we can win some games as a dog but we also might drop some as a favorite. They would project Iowa at 8-12 or so.

Live RPI projects Iowa at 7-13 in B1G play

Massey Ratings projects Iowa at 5-15 in B1G play

These computer rankings are flawed, but it’s just something to think about. To me Iowa has played good in 3 games, and they’ve played like shit in 3 games. It’s a positive that that has led to a 6-0 record though.

We are probably projected at that based on the likelyhood of maintaining this level of play more so than how we've looked so far. I also wouldn't say the second half was bad last night so I give us credit for 3.5 games at least. That means we've only looked bad for one half of our 3 games against decent teams. I'm not sure it really matters how we play against the really bad teams as long as we dont lose.

Hey, @lightning1 good thinks we're young.

3 wins against non-conference P5 opponents looks good and bodes well. They needed a game like last night to show them they can win a close game at the end. This team is coming along. They beat Wisky this Friday and look out. They could go on a nice little run. They have everything you want in a team that succeeds, a team with much experience, even though they still are kind of a young team. I don't think it is a fluke & I think they may have a solid year.

And let's be honest, this Pitt team and last years Pitt team have nothing to do with each other. There are a few players who carried over, but this is a new team with a new coach. Who knows how good they'll be this year? I will say that their program has been pretty good historically.

People like to say Fran's teams get worse at the end of the year even tho it's only happened twice. One thing that pretty much has always happened tho is we suck at the beginning of the year. If we can somehow beat Wisconsin and ISU, then not shit the bed against the rest of the non conference, we will be by far off to the best start ever under Fran.

I know damn well we dont look like the 14th best team in the nation. But we do look like a team that doesn't have to sweat it on selection Sunday. If we look like this all year, we are in the tourney. If we improve, we could potentially play in Des Moines. If we get worst, we are probably in the NIT. All 3 of those options are very possible right now. It's a big time plus that 2 of the 3 options get us in the tourney. Most people would assume only the improving option would get us in at this point. We are ahead of schedule at this point.

I think it's the opposite. I think his teams generally start slow because of the number of players seeing time and figuring out the rotation. They didn't make the NCAA two years ago because they couldn't get one more non-conference win against a P5 team early in the season.

I guess I'm not one who doesn't not think we are a 15 team in the country. I think they've proved it to this point. I don't see any reason they can't be ranked in the 12-18 range. I think they have the makeup of a pretty solid team with some length and outside shooters to spread the court. Add into that an inside presence. The outside shooters are only going to get better and more consistent. Weiskamp should have a tremendous year if JoBo gets going along with another to keep the pressure off Weiskamp.

I was more impressed with last nights win than either of the NYC wins. That game had an L all over it I thought. They turned what was probably one of the worst offensive halfs of ball we've had in awhile into one of the better defensive ones we'd had too and hung on. I really wish Cook and Baer would make their damn free throws but beyond that I'm not upset at where we are. We'll have to continue to win and look good doing it to stay where we currently are ranked but who's to say we can't? I'm cautiously optimistic. I feel like Lucy is just waiting to pull the football from us again but hey I'd rather be where we are than where most thought we'd be... I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes

I'm a very positive poster, and I can easily see the flaws of this team. I can also see some positives as well, that I didn't see last year.

Overall I can also see the positives and negatives of Fran overall as a coach. He just leaves me lacking, as I think the high end of what he can do at Iowa is 4 out of 10 years make the NCAA and get to the 2nd round in 2 or 3 of those years. That is like taking KF and taking away the awesome top 10 finish years and saying, hey here you go this is what you got and that is an avg. to good team most of the time. To me Kirk is palatable because he doesn't have horrendous years, and still delivers amazing years every 3-5 seasons. Take away the amazing years, only avg. to good years doesn't cut it.

Because it HAS fallen out before.
8 years of Fran, we know how this plays out.
I hope not, but cmon now.
Yes. It has fallen out before. We'll see. This season has a chance to be different. I'm a little optimistic because Fran is making corrections IN games, right now. Rather than let them snow ball into multiple losses before he pulls his head out.

Yes. It has fallen out before. We'll see. This season has a chance to be different. I'm a little optimistic because Fran is making corrections IN games, right now. Rather than let them snow ball into multiple losses before he pulls his head out.

True.
And yes, despite how ugly the game was, they ended up with more points. That is new.

Also, is it me, or has Fran chilled out?!

I was more impressed with last nights win than either of the NYC wins. That game had an L all over it I thought. They turned what was probably one of the worst offensive halfs of ball we've had in awhile into one of the better defensive ones we'd had too and hung on. I really wish Cook and Baer would make their damn free throws but beyond that I'm not upset at where we are. We'll have to continue to win and look good doing it to stay where we currently are ranked but who's to say we can't? I'm cautiously optimistic. I feel like Lucy is just waiting to pull the football from us again but hey I'd rather be where we are than where most thought we'd be... I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes
Absolutely. Last night's game was a 20 point loss last season. It's progress. And I consider it significant progress.

True.
And yes, despite how ugly the game was, they ended up with more points. That is new.

Also, is it me, or has Fran chilled out?!
It's easy to be chilled out when the refs are calling it your way and you are 6-0. Wait until he gets "Izzo'd" at home. Then you'll see the red face.