Let's celebrate!

I never said that Iowa wasn't in the tourney (see 1st sentence). However, you can't have 2 of the same numbered seeds in the same region. There are only 64 seeds. The game is played and the winner gets the 11 seed. That's a play in game. Why does it matter what the NCAA calls it?

A "play in" game by definition would mean you have to win that game to get in. Iowa can't "play in " to the NCAA tournament because they are already in the tournament.

Semantics about seeding has nothing to do with it. Because there are only 8 teams in the first round, there are no "seeds". Win the first round, and you get a seed for the second round.

USA Today has a very nice Tournament section with all the team records and a capsule analysis of each team. They have a page for each region. In the Midwest Region they start with Wichita State as number one through Texas Sou. as number 16.....

They have Iowa listed as number 11 and Tennessee as number 11. I would consider the Hawkeyes to be an eleven seed....

The USA Today Bracket Pages have Iowa [20-12]/Tennessee [21-12] listed at number 11 exactly like that....

The Sagarin Rankings have the Hawks listed at number 17.....

A "play in" game by definition would mean you have to win that game to get in. Iowa can't "play in " to the NCAA tournament because they are already in the tournament.

Semantics about seeding has nothing to do with it. Because there are only 8 teams in the first round, there are no "seeds". Win the first round, and you get a seed for the second round.

I see seed #11 next to Iowa/Tenn. Play In means you are playing to get into the seeded field. You can't have 2 seeds with the same number (it's really all about the math).

I'm excited as hell for Wednesday night and I'm going to mixing a couple and glued in front of my HD watching the Hawks. My expectations are not very high so if they play great that will make the win even sweeter. If they get embarrassed again by a less talented team. Then F' it and we'll move on. HELL YES !

I see seed #11 next to Iowa/Tenn. Play In means you are playing to get into the seeded field. You can't have 2 seeds with the same number (it's really all about the math).

So you agree with me. Thanks. Except Iowa's game in not a play in game. You can essentially call any game a "play in" for something. Tomatoe tomato.

Every bracket I see now lists the "play in" games as 1st round. All of Thursdays games are listed as 2nd round. Therefore the "play in" game is part of the tourney. You can't have round 2 without round 1.

What you feel like calling it, or what you want to call it, or even what you'll reminisce it to be, doesn't change what it is. We are in the tourney.

USA Today calls it The First Four.....

So you agree with me. Thanks. Except Iowa's game in not a play in game. You can essentially call any game a "play in" for something. Tomatoe tomato.

Nope, it's a play in game. I don't care what you and/or the NCAA calls it. Just because they don't call it a play in game doesn't mean that isn't what it is.

Iowa made the tourney, but most everyone knows that they seed 64 teams, not 68. So, Iowa is playing Tennessee to be assigned a seed. Once the 64 teams are seeded, the tourney continues. Check any bracket and there are 63 games to fill in, not 67. Even Warren Buffet agrees.

I never said that Iowa wasn't in the tourney (see 1st sentence). However, you can't have 2 of the same numbered seeds in the same region. There are only 64 seeds. The game is played and the winner gets the 11 seed. That's a play in game. Why does it matter what the NCAA calls it?

Well, it is the NCAA tournament. They pretty much get to say how it's run.

Nope, it's a play in game. I don't care what you and/or the NCAA calls it. Just because they don't call it a play in game doesn't mean that isn't what it is.

Iowa made the tourney, but most everyone knows that they seed 64 teams, not 68. So, Iowa is playing Tennessee to be assigned a seed. Once the 64 teams are seeded, the tourney continues. Check any bracket and there are 63 games to fill in, not 67. Even Warren Buffet agrees.

The first round does not have seeds because there are only 8 teams. Your seeding argument has no bearing anyway.

What Warren Buffet says is irrelevant....the NCAA says there are no play in games. It is their tournament, so I guess they are right and you are wrong.

Iowa can't "play in" to the tournament....they are already in! I'll bet Warren Buffet....or even Jimmy Buffet....would agree.

Yes, we need to win this game to get on the plane. Tenny will be left on the runway

Why don't they assign seeds for all 68 teams?

They wanted a few more teams and 68 doesn't work, so they have more than one team with an 11 seed. I think it's silly to call this the first round, always have...but that's the way it is. If Iowa loses it will go down in the books as losing in the first round of the NCAA tournament. That's a fact. We can't change that just because we don't like it.

btw, other than calling that the first round, I don't have a problem with it. I think it's good, gives a few deserving teams a bid while still allowing the automatic bids from the micro conferences.

The first round does not have seeds because there are only 8 teams. Your seeding argument has no bearing anyway.

What Warren Buffet says is irrelevant....the NCAA says there are no play in games. It is their tournament, so I guess they are right and you are wrong.

Iowa can't "play in" to the tournament....they are already in! I'll bet Warren Buffet....or even Jimmy Buffet....would agree.

Iowa is not playing into the tournament. I already said they are in. They are playing into the seeded field. It's funny that the NCAA changed the term play in game to 1st round and people bought it.

They wanted a few more teams and 68 doesn't work, so they have more than one team with an 11 seed. I think it's silly to call this the first round, always have...but that's the way it is. If Iowa loses it will go down in the books as losing in the first round of the NCAA tournament. That's a fact. We can't change that just because we don't like it.

btw, other than calling that the first round, I don't have a problem with it. I think it's good, gives a few deserving teams a bid while still allowing the automatic bids from the micro conferences.

I have never said Iowa is not in the tourney. But, the NCAA changing playin game to 1st round is funny to me. :)

Iowa is not playing into the tournament. I already said they are in. They are playing into the seeded field. It's funny that the NCAA changed the term play in game to 1st round and people bought it.

Like I said earlier...you are agreeing with me.

And second round teams are playing to get into the third round. And there used to be play in games for the NCAA tourney...if you won...you were in. If you lost, you were not considered to have been in. But...and this is the key...when they expanded the field to 68 teams, then there was no longer a play in game. All 68 teams are in. You lose a first round game...you were still in the tournament. Not so difficult to understand.

The problem is people who have failed to grasp what the changes made a few years ago are, and what they mean. They just keep saying "play in game" out of habit, without realizing they are factually incorrect. Some people still do it to denigrate a teams accomplishment, while others do it just to be jerks.

Like I said earlier...you are agreeing with me.

And second round teams are playing to get into the third round. And there used to be play in games for the NCAA tourney...if you won...you were in. If you lost, you were not considered to have been in. But...and this is the key...when they expanded the field to 68 teams, then there was no longer a play in game. All 68 teams are in. You lose a first round game...you were still in the tournament. Not so difficult to understand.

The problem is people who have failed to grasp what the changes made a few years ago are, and what they mean. They just keep saying "play in game" out of habit, without realizing they are factually incorrect. Some people still do it to denigrate a teams accomplishment, while others do it just to be jerks.

Well said.

Latest posts