Let's celebrate!

What are you doing posting at 4AM jack? I get up at 3:45 for work, but I dont post until my traditional 6am bathroom break. These 8pm games are killing me.

I'm retired, 22, and have always been a night owl. Sometimes I wake up around four AM, and can't go back to sleep, so I check out the threads or read or watch a movie on Netflix.....

:rolleyes:

Get with it 22hawkeyes. This thread is back on track. Join the celebration. It was a play on words. If you follow Iowa basketball you would have known it was something Zach McCabe said to his biggest fans. It's twitter lingo for "goodbye, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu".

Very well said, Mn.....

:rolleyes:

Get with it 22hawkeyes. This thread is back on track. Join the celebration. It was a play on words. If you follow Iowa basketball you would have known it was something Zach McCabe said to his biggest fans. It's twitter lingo for "goodbye, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu".
I was just playing a little more. Im well aware of Mccabe's comment...... not sure if I would call this thread on track, but I did laugh out loud when I started reading it.

To hell with you naysayers! I'm celebrating tonight. It's been way too damn long since the Hawks have been dancing. What are the true fans drinking tonight? I'm going with whiskey sours.

Go Hawks!

I was drinking a dark micro brew out of Maine USA. I was eggcited the Hawks were dancing (I consider the playin game dancing-kind of).

Now let's go get a W vs the vols.

Hmmmmm....I thought there were 68 teams in the NCAA tournament, and Iowa was announced as one of them yesterday. I must have mis-heard. Thanks for setting the record straight. You might want to notify the media of this error.

I tend to see things the same way Gary does in this matter. It's called a "play-in game". Got to win it to be in the tourney. The first round is considered to start Thursday. We make it to Thursday, then welcome to the dance. We lose on Wednesday, very few will have considered us to have made the Tourney.

On a side note... I think the selection committee handled Iowa exactly the way it should have by placing them in the play-in game.

I tend to see things the same way Gary does in this matter. It's called a "play-in game". Got to win it to be in the tourney. The first round is considered to start Thursday. We make it to Thursday, then welcome to the dance. We lose on Wednesday, very few will have considered us to have made the Tourney.

On a side note... I think the selection committee handled Iowa exactly the way it should have by placing them in the play-in game.

That's where I'm at.

Yes, I'm well aware that our game against TN is officially considered to be a part of the Tournament.

Let's just say that if Iowa loses on Wednesday, it will feel identical to me as it has every year since 2006: Iowa NOT being a part of the festivities when the REAL action starts on Thursday. That would be a major bummer after spending most of this season looking forward to Iowa being a part of it all. So I really, really, REALLY hope Iowa wins on TN and gets to the field of 64. To me, this is a play-in game.

Exactly, it's called the "play-in" games for a reason. It's still part of the tourney but we have to win to be considered "in". No shame in that, it's better than not being involved at all.

Actually, only the misinformed call it a play in game. It really isn't. No matter...Hawks will win and all will be well.

As for celebrating...I'm going to try a new recipe for honey bbq ribs on my smoker Saturday. Did a brisket for my daughter in law's birthday party yesterday....had to pull it from the smoker too soon, but still turned out pretty good and everyone seemed to like it.

Actually, only the misinformed call it a play in game. It really isn't. No matter...Hawks will win and all will be well.

Iowa is in the NCAA tourney. However, they are in a play in game. Why? Because the NCAA only seeds 64 spots. You really can't have two #11 seeds in one region (math doesn't work). If this were really true, the universe would slip into a vortex and we would all die. Iowa and Tennessee are playing for the right to be the #11 seed in the Midwest Region. Plus, Warren Buffet doesn't recognize this game (as most brackets that are filled out). :)

Whew Thanks!

I was guessing it meant prisons now had WiFi.

I'm going, whose in? Any body else live in OH and want to go get drunk before the game. There's a good whiskey bar downtown called Century bar I think.

Iowa is in the NCAA tourney. However, they are in a play in game. Why? Because the NCAA only seeds 64 spots. You really can't have two #11 seeds in one region (math doesn't work). If this were really true, the universe would slip into a vortex and we would all die. Iowa and Tennessee are playing for the right to be the #11 seed in the Midwest Region. Plus, Warren Buffet doesn't recognize this game (as most brackets that are filled out). :)

Well, the NCAA doesn't call it a play in game. And if I recall, Iowa's name was called yesterday. The tournament "officially" has 68 teams and Iowa is one of them. I guess that pretty much solves that argument.

Well, the NCAA doesn't call it a play in game. And if I recall, Iowa's name was called yesterday. The tournament "officially" has 68 teams and Iowa is one of them. I guess that pretty much solves that argument.

I never said that Iowa wasn't in the tourney (see 1st sentence). However, you can't have 2 of the same numbered seeds in the same region. There are only 64 seeds. The game is played and the winner gets the 11 seed. That's a play in game. Why does it matter what the NCAA calls it?

Iowa better win this game just so this conversation isn't rehashed every single time Iowa has a period where they struggle because if Fran's head is ever called for this moment is going to be brought up freakin' often and the "does the play-in game count as the tournament" discussion is already way overplayed.

I never said that Iowa wasn't in the tourney (see 1st sentence). However, you can't have 2 of the same numbered seeds in the same region. There are only 64 seeds. The game is played and the winner gets the 11 seed. That's a play in game. Why does it matter what the NCAA calls it?

Been trying to answer this question. Apparently this is a topic that won't go away. Iowa will be playing its first NCAA tournament game since 06. That's all that matters.

That's pretty much the way I see it too. If the Hawks lose Wednesday, and a month later someone asks you what seed did the Hawks get in the tourney and you can't directly answer it without having to explain your answer, they weren't in it.

It doesn't, because it's a play in game. :p And yes, I get that this is officially going to count as an NCAA Tournament appearance, regardless of the outcome. Officially speaking, there's no disputing that. But 4 teams joining 60 others on the day when the NCAA Tournament really starts full force.. That's the epitome of "play in".

Someone might say "But 77, does that mean the Thursday games of the Big Ten Tournament are play-in games?" No, not the way I see it. There are 4 games on Thursday. There are 4 games in Friday's quarterfinals, where 4 teams with first round byes play the winners of the round one games. 4 games each day, it's balanced. If it was one or two games on Thursday, and several on Friday, I would also view the Thursday game(s) as play-in.

But who really cares.. The situation is what it is, and Iowa has to win a game Wednesday to join the field of 64. No more, no less. Call it whatever you like.

Every bracket I see now lists the "play in" games as 1st round. All of Thursdays games are listed as 2nd round. Therefore the "play in" game is part of the tourney. You can't have round 2 without round 1.

What you feel like calling it, or what you want to call it, or even what you'll reminisce it to be, doesn't change what it is. We are in the tourney.