LeShun Daniels

hawkfarmer

I just don't get why KF burned his shirt. I am fine if they thought he was going to be the #2 or #3 back, but he didn't get a single carry against Minny. I just wonder if the 12 carries he has throughout this year will be that beneficial to him in the future? Or would having an extra year of eligibility have been more beneficial? Maybe learning from that fumble was a great thing for him, I don't know. Maybe he becomes a huge part of the offense due to injury or limiting Weisman. I can see advantages both ways, but would have loved to see him get a carry or 2 on Saturday.

If you fumble as a Freshman, you're pretty much dead to Kirk until next season, when he finally gives you another shot.

Is he not playing special teams? I find it hard to believe KF would burn a RS just for a guy to be the #4 RB.

Kirk brings them along slowly. He'll get 7 carries this week against MSU. Then a couple at OSU. Then when Weisman gets dinged against Wisky, Daniels will get 15 important carries.

As people have said numerous times recently, how often have we had a RB contribute as a 5th year senior?

Kirk brings them along slowly. He'll get 7 carries this week against MSU. Then a couple at OSU. Then when Weisman gets dinged against Wisky, Daniels will get 15 important carries.

As people have said numerous times recently, how often have we had a RB contribute as a 5th year senior?

How often have we had a senior RB on the roster?

If you fumble as a Freshman, you're pretty much dead to Kirk until next season, when he finally gives you another shot.

This is such an ignorant comment I'm not even sure why I'm responding to it. Look, Kirk has basically said in interviews that Leshun's fumble against Western Michigan was just a good football play by the defender. He wasn't being wreckless with the ball in his hands. The defender just put his head and shoulder right through the ball as Leshun was coming down to the ground. Not much any RB could have done in that situation.

Have you watched Iowa football at all for the past decade? If so, you might have noticed the fact the Hawks attrition at the RB position has been insane. Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe Daniels has proven in practice that he's one of the top 3 or 4 backs so Kirk thought we had better get him some playing time while we can because there's a good chance he's going to be needed during the season? Now on the off chance the Hawks have a lucky season regarding RB injuries maybe in hindsight burning Daniels redshirt would be a bummer. However, it's a long season and the B10 is a grind. Kirk has said himself that he thinks it's reasonable to assume Leshun will continue to get more and more carries. This is way to early to suggest they made a mistake by playing him.

This is such an ignorant comment I'm not even sure why I'm responding to it. Look, Kirk has basically said in interviews that Leshun's fumble against Western Michigan was just a good football play by the defender. He wasn't being wreckless with the ball in his hands. The defender just put his head and shoulder right through the ball as Leshun was coming down to the ground. Not much any RB could have done in that situation.

Have you watched Iowa football at all for the past decade? If so, you might have noticed the fact the Hawks attrition at the RB position has been insane. Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe Daniels has proven in practice that he's one of the top 3 or 4 backs so Kirk thought we had better get him some playing time while we can because there's a good chance he's going to be needed during the season? Now on the off chance the Hawks have a lucky season regarding RB injuries maybe in hindsight burning Daniels redshirt would be a bummer. However, it's a long season and the B10 is a grind. Kirk has said himself that he thinks it's reasonable to assume Leshun will continue to get more and more carries. This is way to early to suggest they made a mistake by playing him.

Lol. Wow! Somebody needs to learn how to take a joke...

Kirk's decisions are quite confusing at times. Can you explain why Daniels didn't even get a single carry on Saturday then? If he thinks he'll be needed down the road at some point this season, then why not even a single carry? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
And they may really be preparing him for next year. The coaches may already know he will be #1 or #2 next year.

Maybe the coaches think next year will be Leshun and Weisman based on what the coaches have already seen of Leshun. I still think the best thing for Weisman next year is to show his fullback skills, blocking and catching some passes out of the backfield if he wants an NFL chance.

Bullock might be more in the slot next year, who knows.

But I think it is fine to get Leshun some carries especially at home.

Lol. Wow! Don't have an Somebody needs to learn how to take a joke...

Kirk's decisions are quite confusing at times. Can you explain why Daniels didn't even get a single carry yesterday then? If he thinks he'll be needed down the road at some point this season, then why not even a single carry? Just doesn't make sense to me.

You posted nothing to suggest you were joking. If you were then next time I would suggest a wink or a just kidding or a ha-ha even. You know something that might help people pick up on the attempt at humor? If I could tell you were joking I wouldn't have said it was an ignorant comment. Based upon the comment alone it was pretty ignorant.

I agree with you regarding Daniels not getting a single carry against Minny. I think they should have given him a series towards the end of the game. However, we all know they aren't always forthcoming about minor injuries. Maybe he tweaked an ankle late last week. Maybe he had a bad week of practice. There's a number of things that could have happened that would explain why he didn't get any touches that fans would never hear about. However, if he was 100% healthy then I would definitely agree that they should have utilized him a little bit.

Lol. Wow! Don't have an Somebody needs to learn how to take a joke...

Kirk's decisions are quite confusing at times. Can you explain why Daniels didn't even get a single carry yesterday then? If he thinks he'll be needed down the road at some point this season, then why not even a single carry? Just doesn't make sense to me.

In a perfect world, Daniels would be redshirting. It's obvious Iowa likes having the big back be the lead guy, getting the most carries. Fits into the personality of what Iowa is doing on offense. It is very likely that at some point this year Daniels will be needed due to Weisman being nicked up during a game or forced to miss a game altogether.

In yesterday's game, neither Weisman or Bullock was overworked. Weisman had 24 carries, that's not too big a workload. Bullock had 11, with Canzeri a few others on the last drive.

My guess the coaches are thinking that at some point this year Daniels will be needed, so it's good to at least have gotten him some carries in earlier games so if/when that time comes, he's not facing his first action. If it were me, I would just go ahead and give Daniels one series in the first half of every game unless he continues to fumble. Keeps him interested and makes the redshirting more worthwhile. But it's hard to go away from the combo of Weisman-Bullock when it is working and neither guy is hurt.

We have the same scenario next year with Bullock-Weisman being seniors, and Canzeri as a junior. Will be interesting to see how it is handled.

At Iowa, decent running backs seem to be a dime a dozen so I don't see any need to be saving anybody. Might as well get him some experience as soon as possible b/c you never know.

You posted nothing to suggest you were joking. If you were then next time I would suggest a wink or a just kidding or a ha-ha even. You know something that might help people pick up on the attempt at humor? If I could tell you were joking I wouldn't have said it was an ignorant comment. Based upon the comment alone it was pretty ignorant.

I agree with you regarding Daniels not getting a single carry against Minny. I think they should have given him a series towards the end of the game. However, we all know they aren't always forthcoming about minor injuries. Maybe he tweaked an ankle late last week. Maybe he had a bad week of practice. There's a number of things that could have happened that would explain why he didn't get any touches that fans would never hear about. However, if he was 100% healthy then I would definitely agree that they should have utilized him a little bit.

Obviously you take your message board posting very seriously. I apologize for not making it more apparent to you, brah.

Maybe he was dinged up, who knows. Or maybe he had a bad week of practice. I'd just like to see him get at least a little bit of work, especially from all of the positives we've been hearing about him (Daniels).

I just don't get why KF burned his shirt. I am fine if they thought he was going to be the #2 or #3 back, but he didn't get a single carry against Minny. I just wonder if the 12 carries he has throughout this year will be that beneficial to him in the future? Or would having an extra year of eligibility have been more beneficial? Maybe learning from that fumble was a great thing for him, I don't know. Maybe he becomes a huge part of the offense due to injury or limiting Weisman. I can see advantages both ways, but would have loved to see him get a carry or 2 on Saturday.
He's playing on Special Teams, is he not? He's being prepared to play for four years here. He'll pick up more carries as the season progresses.

Look over the past 15 years and see the number of Iowa RBs who have played 4 consecutive seasons. You'll have the answer to the question of why his shirt was burned.

Latest posts