Legal uniform numbers in college basketball

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
Was searching around for other stuff and found this:

Section 5. Uniforms (Game Jersey and Pants)
Art. 5. b. 1.:

The following numbers are legal: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 00, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 42, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, and 55. Team rosters can include 0 or 00, but not both.

I guess I never really paid attention this rule. Interesting.

I've noticed it throughout the years. I don't know the reason for the rule but my assumption was always that it was so the ref could call out through the score table what number did what as far as a foul is concerned through hand signals since there are only 5 fingers on each hand.

makes it easier for the officials to communicate with the scorers table.

Iowa high school used to have a rule where the home team wore even #s and the visitors wore odd #s....not sure if they still have that or not.

What you've said is all correct. College uses a two hand reporting mechanic (HS only uses one) so when they report a foul to the bench official they can do so easily.

Was searching around for other stuff and found this:

I guess I never really paid attention this rule. Interesting.
Are you old enough to remember HS basketball uniforms being even numbers on the home jerseys and odd numbers on the road jerseys? :)

Also, basically the numbers came down to the refs being able to signal the fouls to the official scorer with 2 hands. That's why you didn't see numbers like 57, 77, etc. Also, a number like 7 may be misinterpreted to be 25 or 52.

Iowa high school used to have a rule where the home team wore even #s and the visitors wore odd #s....not sure if they still have that or not.

I remember that's was the case when I played in junior high and high school.
I had 30/31.

1123_SPO_JAMBOREE_BM0182-400x300.jpg

Looks like no as both players are wearing odd numbers.

You beat me to it. :) And no, that rule no longer exists.

That is no longer a requirement.

See? This is why I have you guys around. :)

And now all I can envision are those really old tight HS BB jerseys we used to wear.

See? This is why I have you guys around. :)

And now all I can envision are those really old tight HS BB jerseys we used to wear.
Only one guy here could not afford the knee pads! And how about the shoes. There's illegal numbers in there too! :)

1951-52_Old_Forge_High_School_Basketball_Team.jpg

The rule must not apply in the NBA, as there are several players that wear numbers in the 80s and some in the 90s. The only one I can think of right now is Deshawn Stevensen, he is 80 something.

The rule must not apply in the NBA, as there are several players that wear numbers in the 80s and some in the 90s. The only one I can think of right now is Deshawn Stevensen, he is 80 something.
Yep. NBA doesn't follow the rule. Linsanity = 17! :)

linsanity-time-magazine-cover-1.jpg

Woodyk1 - I'm old enough. My brothers played basketball in HS and I remember the programs had both sets of numbers for both teams. I'm not sure when the rule changed.

Also, I've found some old pictures of my dad in his HS basketball uniform. He was wearing 67. Of course that was back in the late 40s.

GO HAWKS!!!

Latest posts